ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Jul 24, 2016 at 11:44 PM Post #10,486 of 16,326
Just curious, is anyone able to hear a difference between DSP on versus DSP off? I'm using an extremely early version of the DP-X1 firmware and there is quite a stark difference with DSP on vs DSP off. DSP on would give me more sound decay and detailing, but less obvious instrumental separation.

Jul 25, 2016 at 12:08 AM Post #10,487 of 16,326
  Just curious, is anyone able to hear a difference between DSP on versus DSP off? I'm using an extremely early version of the DP-X1 firmware and there is quite a stark difference with DSP on vs DSP off. DSP on would give me more sound decay and detailing, but less obvious instrumental separation.

I always set it off as it makes the sound "thinner"

I'm using the latest FW BTW

Jul 25, 2016 at 2:45 AM Post #10,490 of 16,326
Yeah I had the same experience too.

Turning on DSP seems to isolate the frequencies, but it reduces the amount of detail and sound decay. Like you mentioned, it thins the sound. The DP-X1 seems to sound richer with DSP turned off.

I found this article too, which mentioned that it is less resolving when DSP is turned on. The article article also goes on to mention how DSP colours the sound and turning DSP off improves "the contour" (sorry I was using Google Translate to translate the page) of the sound.

http://www.digitalside.net/?p=911

could someone who understands japanese help to explain this article? Google Translate only does so much.

Jul 25, 2016 at 3:36 AM Post #10,494 of 16,326
Yeah I agree. I feel that the loss of detail comes when the piece of detail that you are looking at lies in that "spread" that you've mentioned. When the sound tightens, the sound artefacts found in that particular region becomes less apparent, hence the impression that there is a loss of detail. Its somewhat like a loss of airiness and sound decay. Like its been either compressed or chopped off.

Maybe that's why people feel that the DP-X1 sounds thin, because DSP is tuned on by default when you first use the DP-X1

Jul 25, 2016 at 3:43 AM Post #10,496 of 16,326
  +1 FOR THIS

The longest that I've used my DP-X1 was for 6-7 hours straight (I was doing work on my laptop, whilst enjoying music), on the regular Balanced Mode. (DSP off). By then, I had around 35%-30% battery left.

I'm using the firmware that I bought it at, and have not upgraded my firmware. Its working fine. Won't want to fix what's not broken.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back