ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Oct 30, 2015 at 3:32 PM Post #826 of 16,328
I'm interested to know people's reasons for wanting this one. I've ordered one simply because I want a good DAP that can run Tidal and has balanced out. I'll be using it mostly with a Chord Hugo or ALO CDM, but with the option to use it solo when I just want the portability of one device that I hope will sound better than my iP6 on its own. I get fed up with constantly connecting and disconnecting my iP from those two DAC / amps (and running down the iP battery).

Lack of Tidal on the top AKs meant I held off from buying the 240 or 380, and I looked at the Sony ZX2 but decided to take a chance on the Onkyo instead.

For me, it's not because of the dual DAC chip or the balanced out. My reasons for wanting one are far simpler:

(1) Dual micro SD card slot means it could probably hold more than 256 GB. If 200 GB micro SD cards are supported, that's even better!
(2) A high-enough screen resolution. I'm super OCD when it comes to tagging my music, and especially album art. I use 1000px x 1000px album art in all of my music files and I'd like to see the sharpness of the art on a screen. Onkyo's 1280x720 resolution is the highest res I've seen in a DAP.
(3) The UI looks beautiful and probably smooth enough. I'm hoping that this nice UI is also snappy and won't be skippy. My only worry is that Android (at least my experience with Android; I owned an HTC One and a Samsung Galaxy) tends to make music skip as if it's a portable CD player.

This DAP is "affordable" considering the specs it has. Yeah $600+ for a DAP is still expensive but considering the competition, this is pound-for-pound (at least on paper) probably a steal.

Anyway, I haven't ordered one yet, but I'm really tempted to.

By the way, does PriceJapan immediately charge your credit card when you pre-order an item or do they charge when the item is available?

Oct 30, 2015 at 3:37 PM Post #828 of 16,328
For me, it's not because of the dual DAC chip or the balanced out. My reasons for wanting one are far simpler:

(1) Dual micro SD card slot means it could probably hold more than 256 GB. If 200 GB micro SD cards are supported, that's even better!
(2) A high-enough screen resolution. I'm super OCD when it comes to tagging my music, and especially album art. I use 1000px x 1000px album art in all of my music files and I'd like to see the sharpness of the art on a screen. Onkyo's 1280x720 resolution is the highest res I've seen in a DAP.
(3) The UI looks beautiful and probably smooth enough. I'm hoping that this nice UI is also snappy and won't be skippy. My only worry is that Android (at least my experience with Android; I owned an HTC One and a Samsung Galaxy) tends to make music skip as if it's a portable CD player.

This DAP is "affordable" considering the specs it has. Yeah $600+ for a DAP is still expensive but considering the competition, this is pound-for-pound (at least on paper) probably a steal.

By the way, does PriceJapan immediately charge your credit card when you pre-order an item or do they charge when the item is available?

Good to see those reasons. Onkyo should be capturing this stuff.
To answer your question, yes pricejapan does charge your card straight away.

Oct 30, 2015 at 5:41 PM Post #829 of 16,328

They charge now

Nov 1, 2015 at 1:35 AM Post #831 of 16,328
Live a little bit.

Nov 1, 2015 at 5:21 AM Post #832 of 16,328
Anxiously awaiting impressions on this one. 
wink.gif

Nov 1, 2015 at 10:17 AM Post #835 of 16,328
The rating is what counts lol. Maybe a Headfier fluent in German might help. Link?

Nov 1, 2015 at 10:33 AM Post #837 of 16,328
no real mention about the sound in the article , mostly specs and general talk

Nov 1, 2015 at 10:44 AM Post #838 of 16,328
Yeah it really wasn't much of a review. It was more of like just a mini review. If there had been some comparisons to AK or one of the other top of the line players it would have been great.

At least it is the start of some comments.

Nov 1, 2015 at 2:16 PM Post #839 of 16,328
The Bad
Kein nachteil ersichtlich: no apparent disadvantage
The review is like almost perfect though 8/10

I can't say it's the best player but for sure is the Best Buy for USD 621.
Btw is there any download for DSD 11.2mHZ or PCM384?
Max I can download DSD5.6 and PCM 352.8kHZ.

Nov 1, 2015 at 3:07 PM Post #840 of 16,328
I can't say it's the best player but for sure is the Best Buy for USD 621.

Yes - at this price point its fiercest competition atm comes from somewhere I bet Onkyo/Pioneer never imagined: The Chord Mojo. Everyone has a smartphone, and with the praise that thing is getting, you have to at least stop for a moment and consider if it might be worth the suffering that is stacking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back