ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Oct 30, 2015 at 12:12 PM Post #813 of 16,328
  You can roll the dice. I am kinda riding this and holding on to my pre-order, pricejapan said I had one of the first,

How did you find out that your order was an early one? I assume you e-mailed them to ask. I should find out myself as I pre-paid, but only about a week ago so I have no idea how far down the list I am.

Oct 30, 2015 at 12:27 PM Post #815 of 16,328
You guys think this device is well known at this point? There doesn't seem to be much out there, information wise.

No, it will fly under the radar for most even here and elsewhere. If some reviews start to arrive that are well done and compare it favourably against better known DAP companies we may see a spike in interest, but at least here on head-fi I doubt it will make much of a splash simply because Onkyo isn't that well known a name for these type of products. Who knows, maybe it will become a hit? I still have a good feeling that the sound quality and signature will be excellent.

Oct 30, 2015 at 12:33 PM Post #817 of 16,328
Is there any information on how the TRRS will configured? I think I will get a balanced cable made for my 400i as I think given how loud I like playback volumes I will likely need the extra horsepower. Last night using my E12 I had it at 3/4 volume on high gain with contemporary electronica so I think the DP-X1 will be challenged to drive those.

Oct 30, 2015 at 12:51 PM Post #819 of 16,328
I belive it's 2.5, from what I've read and was translated through Google.

I saw that, but can't the TRRS still have different ring configurations?

Oct 30, 2015 at 1:20 PM Post #822 of 16,328
Thanks to both of you! Now to spend even more money. My only slight concern with this DAP is that it is still not very powerful even in balanced mode. Sure it would work for efficient headphones no problem, but where I think the X7 has the advantage is in the modular approach and the ability to drop in a more powerful amp. That said, the more powerful amps will cost extra of course. I'm thinking sometimes I'm too lazy to fire up my main rig and a nice quick rig like a DAP can still provide some excellent quality listening at home so a little more power would have been nice, but I think for my current gear the 150Mw balanced should be solid. I won't even need balanced for my KEFs portable.

Oct 30, 2015 at 1:25 PM Post #823 of 16,328
I'm having the same reservation about the power. I only have one set of headphones, fortunately, Th900. Should be no problem, but I do love the idea of the modular system. If the X7 was on 5.1.1 and had 2gb of ram, I'd get that over this. My zx2, only 1gb of ram, was sluggish at times. I don't think Fiio will have that issue due to it being limited, but I like specs. I already have 2.5 TWag modular cables so I'm good to go there.

Oct 30, 2015 at 2:35 PM Post #824 of 16,328
No, it will fly under the radar for most even here and elsewhere. If some reviews start to arrive that are well done and compare it favourably against better known DAP companies we may see a spike in interest, but at least here on head-fi I doubt it will make much of a splash simply because Onkyo isn't that well known a name for these type of products. Who knows, maybe it will become a hit? I still have a good feeling that the sound quality and signature will be excellent.

I'm interested to know people's reasons for wanting this one. I've ordered one simply because I want a good DAP that can run Tidal and has balanced out. I'll be using it mostly with a Chord Hugo or ALO CDM, but with the option to use it solo when I just want the portability of one device that I hope will sound better than my iP6 on its own. I get fed up with constantly connecting and disconnecting my iP from those two DAC / amps (and running down the iP battery).

Lack of Tidal on the top AKs meant I held off from buying the 240 or 380, and I looked at the Sony ZX2 but decided to take a chance on the Onkyo instead.

Oct 30, 2015 at 3:14 PM Post #825 of 16,328
I'm interested to know people's reasons for wanting this one. I've ordered one simply because I want a good DAP that can run Tidal and has balanced out. I'll be using it mostly with a Chord Hugo or ALO CDM, but with the option to use it solo when I just want the portability of one device that I hope will sound better than my iP6 on its own. I get fed up with constantly connecting and disconnecting my iP from those two DAC / amps (and running down the iP battery).

Lack of Tidal on the top AKs meant I held off from buying the 240 or 380, and I looked at the Sony ZX2 but decided to take a chance on the Onkyo instead.

I was going to go the ZX2 route as well, but they are getting a little old in terms of the specs and more importantly they have terrible power output. 15Mw? What the heck is that about? If I'm going to spend 1K + on a DAP it had better have some power behind it. For me, the Onkyo has great specifications if a little light on power. As well, this is their first DAP to the best of my knowledge so I'm thinking they put some solid effort into the sound signature and I would assume that with the resources and experience of Onkyo the UI would be well done. Hopefully the OS can be upgraded in the future as I hear Marshmallow has significantly improved battery use technology.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back