ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Apr 23, 2016 at 11:28 PM Post #7,606 of 16,326
Yes, this false rumor that the DP-X1 did not allow access to it's DAC architecture for third party apps has been proven false. The misunderstanding was that people assumed that apps that used software processing were able to do everything within the software domain, which was false. Such apps like Neutron will do some pre-processing within software, but the actual DA conversion must happen on the hardware DAC chip provided. So unless the DP-X1 provided a third DAC chip, which of course it doesn't, the hardware DAC, or DACs in balanced will be utilized the same as with the stock app.

wow!!.It's a great news!! Thanks for the information, I had struggled by this problem for a long time.
What do you think about the 3.5mm port? Cause I saw somewhere that people says the 3.5mm of this player is not a good option in the same price range. Which the 2.5mm is the excellent.

Apr 24, 2016 at 1:21 AM Post #7,607 of 16,326
wow!!.It's a great news!! Thanks for the information, I had struggled by this problem for a long time.
What do you think about the 3.5mm port? Cause I saw somewhere that people says the 3.5mm of this player is not a good option in the same price range. Which the 2.5mm is the excellent.

Well, I thought the SE (3.5mm) input was fine, quite good actually. I did use balanced more, and while I believe it makes a difference, I wouldn't think it was night and day better, and I'll bet it will vary with the headphone or IEM used. So what is it you are hoping the DP-X1 will solve for you, or provide that your currently missing? Do you have the DAP already or are you just considering it?

Apr 24, 2016 at 5:31 AM Post #7,609 of 16,326
You can not get the quality from balanced out 2.5mm by going 3.5mm. It is as simple as that, and even if it did only make a slight difference, you still could never get that improvement (differences) by going 3.5mm, period. So in reality checking, there is a night and day different.

When I compared the two back months ago, 2.5mm and ACG were the best the DP-X1 had to offer, and 3.5 was so pale in comparison

Apr 24, 2016 at 6:07 AM Post #7,610 of 16,326
Hey peeps, I am in the midst of looking for a balanced cable. But was wondering... After looking at mine. It seems to have both copper and silver in it. As such, how possible and easy is it to convert it into a 2.5mm balanced cable? I guess not as simple as changing the plug?

You have all four conductors going to the jack plug, so yes it is as simple as changing the plug for a 2.5mm TRRS type 
smile.gif

Apr 24, 2016 at 8:10 AM Post #7,611 of 16,326
You can not get the quality from balanced out 2.5mm by going 3.5mm. It is as simple as that, and even if it did only make a slight difference, you still could never get that improvement (differences) by going 3.5mm, period. So in reality checking, there is a night and day different.

When I compared the two back months ago, 2.5mm and ACG were the best the DP-X1 had to offer, and 3.5 was so pale in comparison

I have to agree. Until I received the balanced cable for my SE535's I really thought I had wasted my money as SQ for me the DX-P1 was no where near the SQ of my Mojo+AK100mkii.

Once I received the cable it was a revelation for me at least.

Better than the Mojo for me no, but as all in one for when I need to travel light a great combination DX-P1 + Balanced/AGC

L3000.gif

Apr 24, 2016 at 9:41 AM Post #7,612 of 16,326
Well, I thought the SE (3.5mm) input was fine, quite good actually. I did use balanced more, and while I believe it makes a difference, I wouldn't think it was night and day better, and I'll bet it will vary with the headphone or IEM used. So what is it you are hoping the DP-X1 will solve for you, or provide that your currently missing? Do you have the DAP already or are you just considering it?

I am currently using iPod Classic + Um3x which I brought around 5 years ago. I would like an upgrade on everything LOL
I don't have enough budget now for a new player and a 2.5mm cable, so is it a good option for me to play on 3.5mm on DPX1? Or other player which have a better quality on 3.5mm output? (I prefer it can play tidal :p)

Apr 24, 2016 at 9:53 AM Post #7,613 of 16,326
I am currently using iPod Classic + Um3x which I brought around 5 years ago. I would like an upgrade on everything LOL
I don't have enough budget now for a new player and a 2.5mm cable, so is it a good option for me to play on 3.5mm on DPX1? Or other player which have a better quality on 3.5mm output? (I prefer it can play tidal :p)

Sound like you may want to check out Fiio x7 (desktop class 9018S Sabres). Otherwise, I don't see why DP-X1 SE would be bad in anyways, having balanced as a side option whenever you want is useful. Non the less X7 also has balanced module soon. If you want a smartphone with great SE 3.5 out ? Check out LG V10, it uses the same DAC as single ended DP-x1 but newer ESS amp chip 9602 vs 9601 in X1. Also the sister of X1, pioneer player

Apr 24, 2016 at 1:58 PM Post #7,614 of 16,326
Sound like you may want to check out Fiio x7 (desktop class 9018S Sabres). Otherwise, I don't see why DP-X1 SE would be bad in anyways, having balanced as a side option whenever you want is useful. Non the less X7 also has balanced module soon. If you want a smartphone with great SE 3.5 out ? Check out LG V10, it uses the same DAC as single ended DP-x1 but newer ESS amp chip 9602 vs 9601 in X1. Also the sister of X1, pioneer player

I don't need a smartphone so I think I will go for DPX1, and I may buy a 2.5mm cable later. :)

Apr 24, 2016 at 5:06 PM Post #7,615 of 16,326
  I don't need a smartphone so I think I will go for DPX1, and I may buy a 2.5mm cable later. :)

You can't go too far wrong with this decision. 

Apr 24, 2016 at 5:16 PM Post #7,616 of 16,326
The other day I was subtlety asking if anyone is having issues with Tidal dropping out occasionally and if it was a fw issue with the player. Does anyone else have this problem and is there a fix? I have read a few posts from before but could not find a solution.

Apr 24, 2016 at 5:30 PM Post #7,617 of 16,326
The other day I was subtlety asking if anyone is having issues with Tidal dropping out occasionally and if it was a fw issue with the player. Does anyone else have this problem and is there a fix? I have read a few posts from before but could not find a solution.

I have had this type of problem with Tidal on all my mobile devices including the DP-X1 I believe it is the Tidal app at fault.

Apr 24, 2016 at 5:48 PM Post #7,619 of 16,326
My iPhone 5s does not do this. It does not happen very often on my Onkyo but it would be better if it did not happen at all.

I recall it happening very occasionally when I used an Android phone with external DAC/Amp, but it happens a lot more frequently with the Onkyo.

I find it very random - sometimes I can listen for a couple of hours with it only happening once or twice and other times it's happening every few minutes. It's very frustrating and the biggest annoyance I have with the player. Hopefully future f/w updates and/or Tidal app updates will cure it.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back