ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Feb 29, 2016 at 9:55 PM Post #5,972 of 16,326
Ditto, I was led to expect this also, but like you I had to search at the Play Store. I'm new to Android so forgive the question, but with any app installed on my Blackberry there is no need to go to the app itself or search anywhere, the OS will tell you when an update is available. Does Android no do this?

Play store--Settings--see General and Notifications. You will receive notifications on availability of apps update if you setup correctly. You could choose to auto update or not. I never set auto and always do manually which apps to be updated - both phone and DPX1

Feb 29, 2016 at 10:02 PM Post #5,973 of 16,326
  Ditto, I was led to expect this also, but like you I had to search at the Play Store. I'm new to Android so forgive the question, but with any app installed on my Blackberry there is no need to go to the app itself or search anywhere, the OS will tell you when an update is available. Does Android no do this?

The default settings on the Play Store is to notify when app updates are available, and to auto-update apps at any time.
So as long as you are connected to the internet, this will apply automatically (obviously apps can't update themselves without an internet connection)

If you wish to change the settings, refer to Gaghiel's post.
If not, just keep the default settings.

Feb 29, 2016 at 10:07 PM Post #5,974 of 16,326
Thanks to both of you, yes I also prefer to manually update once notified. Cheers.

Feb 29, 2016 at 10:21 PM Post #5,975 of 16,326
Just posted some (very early) impressions in a different thread, and thought others might like to see them as well: LINK

The relevant portion: 

As for the DP-X1: while not perfect, I have really, really enjoyed it thus far. I haven't done a lot of critical listening, but I have done a lot of just listening around the house, in the car, at work, etc. I'm actually listening to it now as I type this, in a mixture of new-toy excitement, a lazy unwillingness to fight my %^&* tablet into doing its job and pumping the music into my system, and a real appreciation for how it sounds. I'll give you a few random bullet points on my thoughts thus far, if it helps. I would caution that this is still early on, and I have not done any critical evaluations of anything yet, but hopefully there's something in here worth reading: 

1. Build: People in the thread seem to be very excited about the build quality, and I find it to be perfectly satisfactory, but not particularly premium-feeling or exciting. Putting the Dignis case on it actually made it feel considerably 'nicer' and more luxurious, and at least a touch less concerning when considering possible drops, etc. Compared with the new Samsung Galaxy S7 phone, the Onkyo feels decidedly more utilitarian and basic; the case really does help out a ton there. 
  2. Battery lifeAwesome. Some people in the thread have mentioned mediocre battery life, but mine has been absolutely fantastic. I don't listen all day (I'll generally listen for a few minutes on my way into work, and then while I'm running reports in the morning, which is around an hour, and then pick up maybe 2-4 hours in the evening as I have dinner, read, and prepare for bed), but each night thus far, I have listened to music while I've fallen asleep (about an hour, sometimes more), and I have yet to have the device even give a low battery warning. This is more impressive when you realize that I don't ever turn it off (it takes a while to boot up, and patience and I aren't on speaking terms) and I generally only charge it while I'm showering and getting ready for work (about an hour) each day. Zero complaints on the battery life thus far. 
  3. Balanced jack: After reading the thread, I've been highly paranoid, so I've been newborn-baby-level cautious, but I haven't had any issues thus far (knock on wood). The jack feels fairly secure, and while it did seem to be a hair closer to one side than the other, I don't think it is wildly off center or anything. Then again, manufacturing tolerances in high-end electronic gear is not, unsurprisingly, a core competence of mine. So other than a weird note in the Sound section below (which may be wholly unrelated to the balanced output itself), I'm tentatively satisfied at this point, although I really haven't pushed it hard at all (no full-sized earphones, etc). I have an adapter on the way so I can try out the Ether C and other stuff though :wink:
  4. Operation: I've had the unit power cycle on me once when I attempted to play a file, and haven't gotten around to trying that file again. The lack of a brightness control is pretty annoying (I actually have a tablet that has the same issue, inexcusably enough, so this may be more of an irritation for me than others), but other than that, it's basically a reasonably snappy Android device. I like Android (and it was ultimately the reason I got the Onkyo instead of the A&K units I was originally eyeing), so good to go there. I have had issues with Tidal and Spotify (only streaming services I've tried on there up to this point), in that they sound great, but there is a definite hiss when using them. Given that the ability to load such apps on here was one of my primary buying decision drivers, it's a problem for me, but it might not be for others who don't plan on streaming (and some other people have had no issue at all). [EDIT: I also meant to mention that the physical play/pause and track buttons work with Tidal, which I appreciate.] The stock app is dead quiet though, and works very well (especially now that we finally have folder browsing!). Other than that, I dig the volume control (as it moves in almost imperceptibly small increments and can be changed without turning on the screen), and while I wish the physical buttons were a little bigger and perhaps protruded a hair further from the body of the unit itself (for easier identification while in the pocket, although I've only inadvertently hit the wrong button a couple of times), I've been pretty happy with everything. I have not yet messed with the filters or any of the other advanced stuff, but giving me the option to change that instead of unilaterally picking a filter and moving on was another sizable selling point for me, and I look forward to digging into it more when I have the time and energy. The one time I touched the filters, I could tell that they were different, but not night and day so. 
  5. Sound: Overall, it's been really, really good. I started off using only the SE port (as I didn't have any balanced cables) and used the Etymotic ER-4PT, Aurisonics Rockets, and Aurisonics ASG-2 initially (with the majority of the time going to the ER4). (I should also mention that all of my listening thus far has been via ACG, not BTL).  The amount of detail it provides is pretty impressive; offhand (and without actually being able to compare them), I'd say it's a clear notch above the iBasso DX50/DX90. The treble extension (particularly with the ER4, natch) was excellent, and was fully present and laid out without transcending the Rubicon into sibilance or stridency to my ears. Oddly, when I finally got one of the two balanced cables I ordered in (the aforementioned Linum balanced cable) and used it on the Aurisonics ASG-2, it seemed that the treble and upper midrange was noticeably shelved, to the point that it was something I couldn't even acclimate to after a few days (as I love my treble). Everything still sounded good, but there was just an obvious lack of presence on the higher end, and that's what separates good gear from great gear to me. (Full disclosure: I have considered the possibility that I have flipped the 2-pin IEM plug around the wrong way, and therefore have my ASG-2 out of phase, and am still trying to figure out what the correct way to plug everything in should be). I finally tried playing with the EQ this afternoon, and so far, it has made a tremendous difference for the better. I initially put a bump from around 6k to 10k, which immediately made a big improvement. I later added a smaller bump from around 22k to 32k (which de facto lifted the 10k-22k area), which made things even better. As a result, I've come to two preliminary conclusions: first, either the Linum cable, the balanced output, or some combination of the two has caused a noticeable decrease in treble and upper midrange presence; and second, that the EQ on this thing not only works, but works very, very well. I'm hoping that I can get the same black background with the streaming apps at some point; if I can get that, I think I'll basically have nothing but positives, sound-wise. 

Mar 1, 2016 at 12:07 AM Post #5,976 of 16,326
Hi, guys -

Just got my DP-X1, and it's set up, updated, and charging... but here's where I'm stuck: how do I get it to show up on my Mac desktop so I can drag music onto it? (That's what I used to do with my AK Jr.) Or, if I can't do that, how can I get my FLACs from my Mac to the DP-X1?

thanks so much, I appreciate any help!

Christina

Mar 1, 2016 at 12:25 AM Post #5,977 of 16,326
  Hi, guys -

Just got my DP-X1, and it's set up, updated, and charging... but here's where I'm stuck: how do I get it to show up on my Mac desktop so I can drag music onto it? (That's what I used to do with my AK Jr.) Or, if I can't do that, how can I get my FLACs from my Mac to the DP-X1?

Christina

I don't use a Mac, but I'm surprised it doesn't just show up aa connected device. In Windows it appears right away. Sorry that isn't helpful I know.

Mar 1, 2016 at 12:35 AM Post #5,978 of 16,326
@Theogenes, I can't imagine why balanced would have any impact on treble, and certainly not like you are describing. I can only assume that something else is behind that issue. I agree with your findings, the build is solid while unexciting, but frankly for me looks are not as important so that doesn't bother me much either. Sound is where I hang my hat and I'm a pretty big fan so far of the sound. Just tonight driving the 400i brought a smile to my face while listening to a awesome mix of Nu-Jazz from the Saint Germain des Pres cafe series (highly recommend this series by the way for content and quality of sound).

Mar 1, 2016 at 12:55 AM Post #5,980 of 16,326
Hi, guys -

Christina

You will need to install "Android File Transfer". https://www.android.com/filetransfer/

Once you have the app installed, it will launch whenever you plug the DP-X1 in. You can drag and drop your files from your Mac to the internal memory or to an external card. Be aware that the app is kind of glitchy, though, so I personally recommend using microSD cards and external USB readers.

Mar 1, 2016 at 12:58 AM Post #5,981 of 16,326
I don't use a Mac, but I'm surprised it doesn't just show up aa connected device. In Windows it appears right away. Sorry that isn't helpful I know.

Android uses MTP to make the device show up. This is a Windows technology that Mac doesn't implement natively. You need to install Android File Transfer from Google to get it to work. It is very stupid. It worked in Android natively on a Mac before Android 4.0. After 4.0, though, they made the switch. It used to be a mass storage device.

Mar 1, 2016 at 12:58 AM Post #5,982 of 16,326
You will need to install "Android File Transfer". https://www.android.com/filetransfer/

Once you have the app installed, it will launch whenever you plug the DP-X1 in. You can drag and drop your files from your Mac to the internal memory or to an external card. Be aware that the app is kind of glitchy, though, so I personally recommend using microSD cards and external USB readers.

Thank you so much! I'm not an Android person, so had no idea to do this. (Also appreciate the tip about the potential instability of Android File Transfer; I'm using a card reader for tonight, and it's good to know that's a more predictable option!)

Mar 1, 2016 at 1:01 AM Post #5,983 of 16,326
It isn't really well documented anywhere, and that is stupid. Happy to help!

Android File Transfer chokes on long file paths and non-ascii file names (so, anything Unicode it can just die unexpectedly and without warning). It also doesn't allow multiple transfers at once (so only one copy-paste job at a time, which is a bit jarring if you are used to copy-pasting multiple folders to other locations at the same time in the Finder). A card reader is by far the better option, if only for your sanity.

Mar 1, 2016 at 4:49 AM Post #5,984 of 16,326

1. Operation: I've had the unit power cycle on me once when I attempted to play a file, and haven't gotten around to trying that file again. The lack of a brightness control is pretty annoying (I actually have a tablet that has the same issue, inexcusably enough, so this may be more of an irritation for me than others)

If this is what you mean, there is a brightness control slider and accessible from anywhere. Just swipe down the status bar.

Mar 1, 2016 at 5:35 AM Post #5,985 of 16,326
I haven't been able to find much on this thread about DP X1 battery life.

The Fiio X7 has 3500 maH battery and was returning around 8 hours when I had one.

The DP X1 has 1630 maH.

Not a lot compared to X7.

Anyone done careful measurement?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back