ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Feb 29, 2016 at 7:11 AM Post #5,956 of 16,326
  The only thing that derails matters is dogmatic "my truth is right, therefore yours must be mistaken/delusional" kinds of statements.

NB: and misunderstandings of other peoples posts. And mini-threads solely concerning other products. In fact, probably a whole bunch of things lol.
And over-long, rambling posts like my one above. Sorry about that
tongue_smile.gif

Feb 29, 2016 at 11:43 AM Post #5,957 of 16,326
PIONEER anounced MQA compatibility for it's XDP-100R, so... The ONKYO should also offer MQA which will be very valuable when streaming from TIDAL :)

Feb 29, 2016 at 11:48 AM Post #5,958 of 16,326
The only thing that derails matters is dogmatic "my truth is right, therefore yours must be mistaken/delusional" kinds of statements.

Sorry, but this was too good and relevant not to mention:
Over on our rival for epic size Mojo thread, we have a perfect example of the above lol:

"Fiio E18 is really an android/mobile dac and well engeneered for portable use with USB devices.

MOJO is not, and it sucks when usb connected to phones.
that's the end of the story"

Followed by numerous posts rebuking him..
"What a load of rubbish, I use the Mojo with a  Samsung Galaxy S4 - No problems, Moto X Force - No Problems, iPod touch - No problems, IPad Air - No Problems..."
etc etc etc
biggrin.gif

Feb 29, 2016 at 11:54 AM Post #5,959 of 16,326
Meanwhile (back at the ranch), I'm a bit confused about MQA.
Is it a file type like FLAC or DSD? (come to think of it, is DSD a file type? I'm a bit confused about that too lol)
tongue.gif

And if not, then what? I think I heard Tidal were going to start using it too?
And how do these 3 compare in terms of relative file sizes? Like FLAC is (for me) usually around 30 - 100MB per track for 16 or 24 bit.
This where the DP-X1's memory and expansion slots will be a real help!
Whatever it is, the good things I've heard about MQA definitely make it a functionality that I hope will be included with DP-X1
beyersmile.png

Feb 29, 2016 at 12:25 PM Post #5,960 of 16,326
  Sorry, but this was too good and relevant not to mention:
Over on our rival for epic size Mojo thread, we have a perfect example of the above lol:

"Fiio E18 is really an android/mobile dac and well engeneered for portable use with USB devices.

MOJO is not, and it sucks when usb connected to phones.
that's the end of the story"

Followed by numerous posts rebuking him..
"What a load of rubbish, I use the Mojo with a  Samsung Galaxy S4 - No problems, Moto X Force - No Problems, iPod touch - No problems, IPad Air - No Problems..."
etc etc etc
biggrin.gif

People who make really bold claims and leave no room for any doubt in their pronouncement of judgement like the quote you provide should be rebuked if you ask me.

Feb 29, 2016 at 12:29 PM Post #5,961 of 16,326
  People who make really bold claims and leave no room for any doubt in their pronouncement of judgement like the quote you provide should be rebuked if you ask me.

I was going to say "made to stand in the naughty corner, facing the wall, and think carefully about what they've done", but 'rebuked' is ok too I guess
wink.gif

Feb 29, 2016 at 12:35 PM Post #5,962 of 16,326
  Meanwhile (back at the ranch), I'm a bit confused about MQA.
Is it a file type like FLAC or DSD? (come to think of it, is DSD a file type? I'm a bit confused about that too lol)
tongue.gif

And if not, then what? I think I heard Tidal were going to start using it too?
And how do these 3 compare in terms of relative file sizes? Like FLAC is (for me) usually around 30 - 100MB per track for 16 or 24 bit.
This where the DP-X1's memory and expansion slots will be a real help!
Whatever it is, the good things I've heard about MQA definitely make it a functionality that I hope will be included with DP-X1
beyersmile.png

Well, it is hard to offer a definitive reply, given that "FLAC" not only represents a file format, but also an audio codec.
MQA is a format that contains compressed PCM data, and is similar to FLAC (as a compression algorithm) in that sense.
However, MQA is not a file format (MQA data could be contained in a FLAC file, per se) unlike FLAC (as a file format)

As for DSD, while it is an audio format, it is NOT a file format.
The relevant file formats commonly associated with DSD are dff, dsf.

As for relative sizes, I offer you a quote - "MQA is able to stream music at 1Mbps - roughly the same bandwidth required for a CD-quality file but much smaller than a hi-resolution, 24-bit/96KHz audio stream which typically uses 4.6Mbps."
DSD is a different audio format altogether, so it would not be fair to compare to these based solely on size.

Feb 29, 2016 at 12:41 PM Post #5,963 of 16,326
Well, for Android and USB OTG there is going to be certain combinations that don't work. No phone maker is going to test and certify operability with the continuing stream of new DACs and amps that are coming to market. While making absolute statements is generally not going to be well received, I think we can empathize with the folks who are having a great deal of frustrations getting their devices to work together. I know I would be pretty upset spending the kind of dollars that this hobby can consume only to have static come out of my headphones.

Feb 29, 2016 at 2:54 PM Post #5,964 of 16,326

Well, it is hard to offer a definitive reply, given that "FLAC" not only represents a file format, but also an audio codec.
MQA is a format that contains compressed PCM data, and is similar to FLAC (as a compression algorithm) in that sense.
However, MQA is not a file format (MQA data could be contained in a FLAC file, per se) unlike FLAC (as a file format)

As for DSD, while it is an audio format, it is NOT a file format.
The relevant file formats commonly associated with DSD are dff, dsf.

As for relative sizes, I offer you a quote - "MQA is able to stream music at 1Mbps - roughly the same bandwidth required for a CD-quality file but much smaller than a hi-resolution, 24-bit/96KHz audio stream which typically uses 4.6Mbps."
DSD is a different audio format altogether, so it would not be fair to compare to these based solely on size.

Would I be right to presume that the 'LAC' in FLAC stands for Lossless Audio Codec (or Compression) then? I never gave it much thought before! And how about the F?
tongue.gif

Unfortunately, I also don't know what PCM data is, so it's hard to understand your explanation of what MQA is lol
redface.gif

Perhaps you could just talk about how someone like (e.g.) Tidal would go about implementing MQA? Would they just offer some of their FLAC files 'with MQA', so something like a "pimp my FLAC" kind of upgrade?
tongue_smile.gif

If you don't wish to discuss on here or don't know how, feel free to post a link to any online resources you know of that could explain these things in, ahem, Layman's terms.
But either way, thanks for taking the time to address my calamitous state of audiophile ignorance
biggrin.gif

Feb 29, 2016 at 3:39 PM Post #5,965 of 16,326
No offense, but guys, please read this before you are making a fool out of yourself by mixing and misusing terms:

http://www.zytrax.com/tech/audio/formats.html

MQA is a codec and NOT a container format, so you will not see a file like "music.mqa".  However, FLAC is both a codec and a container format (OGG).  Another example you guys might know are MKV files for videos, but if you use a MKV demuser to break the file apart, then you will get a collection of files in 3 different formats (videos, audios, and subtitles) since MKV is a container format and not a codec.

Feb 29, 2016 at 7:37 PM Post #5,966 of 16,326

Would I be right to presume that the 'LAC' in FLAC stands for Lossless Audio Codec (or Compression) then? I never gave it much thought before! And how about the F?
tongue.gif

Unfortunately, I also don't know what PCM data is, so it's hard to understand your explanation of what MQA is lol
redface.gif

Perhaps you could just talk about how someone like (e.g.) Tidal would go about implementing MQA? Would they just offer some of their FLAC files 'with MQA', so something like a "pimp my FLAC" kind of upgrade?
tongue_smile.gif

If you don't wish to discuss on here or don't know how, feel free to post a link to any online resources you know of that could explain these things in, ahem, Layman's terms.
But either way, thanks for taking the time to address my calamitous state of audiophile ignorance
biggrin.gif

Indeed, FLAC stands for "Free Lossless Audio Codec".
Basically, formats such as FLAC and MQA contain compressed PCM data - the CPU then decodes this and feeds the PCM data to the DAC.
What truly makes them lossless, is that the original data can be perfectly reconstructed from the compressed data.

In layman's terms, implementing MQA is simply a matter of embedding the appropriate decoding/encoding algorithms.
If you have the time, do give this a read - http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinions/what-is-mqa-meridian-s-digital-audio-format-explained
It explains the new MQA technology rather well.

Feb 29, 2016 at 8:46 PM Post #5,968 of 16,326
  you need to go to Play Store and search for with keywords Onkyo Music Player. It then will bring you to next screen where the description of the app. There you should find Uninstall button on the left and Update button on the left.

Got it! Thanks! seems rather complicated. Not sure why it does not show in the installed app screen so that it can be uopdated from there.

Feb 29, 2016 at 9:00 PM Post #5,969 of 16,326
Got it! Thanks! seems rather complicated. Not sure why it does not show in the installed app screen so that it can be uopdated from there.

There are two updates to music app. For mine it is 'hidden' prior to first update - either wait for it to refresh (it was like 2nd day after last OTA update) or search for it. After update, you will see it.

Feb 29, 2016 at 9:28 PM Post #5,970 of 16,326

Ditto, I was led to expect this also, but like you I had to search at the Play Store. I'm new to Android so forgive the question, but with any app installed on my Blackberry there is no need to go to the app itself or search anywhere, the OS will tell you when an update is available. Does Android no do this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back