ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Feb 28, 2016 at 6:37 AM Post #5,926 of 16,326
Is there a way to use the volume wheel when using the Neutron player? I don't like that slider control, it is just not precise enough.

Feb 28, 2016 at 12:26 PM Post #5,927 of 16,326
Make sure you support your favourite bands by attending their live gigs, especially if they're not mainstream. I'm watching Between the Buried and Me right now. Sounds so much better than any DAC or DAP

Saw BTBAM a few months ago at Marathon Music Works in Nashville, and they were spectacular. Are they still doing the Bohemian Rhapsody finale?

Btw, if you haven't yet checked out their lead singer's solo stuff, definitely check out his first album, "Pulse" (under the pseudonym Thomas Giles). Not heavy at all, but utterly brilliant and absolutely captivating. (His new album was a considerable step backwards IMO).

Feb 28, 2016 at 1:19 PM Post #5,929 of 16,326
you need to go to Play Store and search for with keywords Onkyo Music Player. It then will bring you to next screen where the description of the app. There you should find Uninstall button on the left and Update button on the left.

Feb 28, 2016 at 1:26 PM Post #5,930 of 16,326
  If you feel the Savant or K10's are over rated or over hyped, that's your opinion. I never said that other IEM's are not good, but to say they are over rated, I don't see it. I auditioned SO many IEMs in my two weeks in Japan, that I really think I know what many sound like.  I listen to a lot of live music and I have spent a ton of my time years ago in production studios.  I trust my ears as have many others I've consulted with for over 40 years.  We all hear differently.  I'm very new to headphones.  I used Stax Lambda's and Sennheiser 580's for years but sold them recently to get a small pair of IEM's.  I was also given a pair of PSB's with NC.  They are fun can's to play with.  I never loved the Senn's.  They left me cold much of the time.  No emotion.  The Staxs were awesome, but they were just too big for me to wear all the time.  I have MS and spend much time during bouts in my hospital bed.  I like to use the IEM's during this time especially.  

I've spent a bit of time with many folks within the audio industry to designers, engineers, manufacturers, marketers, writers etc....  I don't trust many of them as I wonder if they know how to critically listen.  Too often folks feel that speakers or headphones/IEM's that are highly detailed are too hot. That's not the case with well engineered transducers.  In order to emotionally connect to the music, which is what folks really want to do, you have to have all the detail you can get.  All too often components just aren't coherent.  I read so many threads on the site about bass heads and folks saying they love their bass turned up a db or two.  So many manufacturers do this at each end of the spectrum as that sells.  It's true.  just ask them and they will tell you if they are being honest.  To me, that's not coherent, nor is it what I want in a speaker/IEM or headphone.  I want the the whole spectrum to sound the way the engineer wanted it to sound.  I get that with the Savant's.  I didn't get that with so many of the other IEM's I nearly pulled the trigger on.  Westones were nice in the price range. I hated the Shures. I even owned a pair that my wife now uses when she travels.  I don't love many of the others that are out there. I have liked quite a few though, but I got the Savant's and I'm glad I did.  They may only use two drivers, but they are special drivers that are coherent and seamless.  They really get the mids correctly and that's 90% of things.  I do feel they are more like a midsize monitor rather than the full range speaker that goes into the 20's.  I have played some 192, well recorded orchestral music that has some notes into the 20's and it was fine.  Not what I wanted in that range, but bass is expensive (quality bass) even in IEM's. That's why I probably want the new K10's.

Over hyped?  Only if you are reading the Noble threads.  If we readers are over hyping them, maybe it's because we are really enjoying them.  Pray tell how that's over hyped?  I read JH threads saying awesome things about their IEM's and I only liked one of them when I heard them, but I felt the bass was way too pronounced, even though it didn't really bleed into the midrange.  It had a huge bass bump.  Those folks sure seem to love the.  

What too many don't understand is that you get to a specific level of performance and then in order to get incremental increases it costs 200 or more to get there. I really think that's often the time when folks bring out 'but I can buy a cheap Chinese version that is as good or better and only costs 100'.  NO WAY. Sorry, I've heard a ton of inexpensive stuff in Asia that just doesn't compete on the same plane with 500 IEM's.  If you think so, then congrats, you saved a lot of money, but when folks pay a lot of money for their electronics you need a great IEM to get all that you paid for.  I often just use my iPhone when I'm in the wood shop or outside, but in the house I have some good electronics.  I have heard my Savants on the Codex as well as the new Macintosh 5k headphone amp and I promise you that you can easily hear why these devices are so good. You will also hear the minute differences in the two pieces.  Personally I like the Codex better than that Mac, but both are great pieces. Wonderfully textured, full bodies, open, detailed etc....  The dealer had a pair of well known, less expensive IEM's. We cleaned off the tips and I listened.  Everything sucked.  They just weren't in the same range as the Savant's.  The store owner laughed because he bought those IEM's because someone on here went on and on as to why his IEM's were better than the Noble 6's I think he said.  He only uses them now for listening to talk radio when on the go.  He brought home a pair of Audeze for his late at night home listening.  I'm not sure if he ever got a pair of Savant's or K10's,but he said he was going to look into it.  This guy has a pair of Wilson XLF's (personally I don't love these) and Vandersteen 7 mkII's in his show room and he listens with top of the line Ayre or Boulder with DCS stacks etc.... the point is that he hears great and very expensive hi fi all day long and he and I agreed that we could both easily live with a Codex DAC/amp and a pair of Savants (preferably run in balanced) hooked up to a top digital source and be very happy with our music and not break the bank.

Sorry for the long response to the poster who called the Nobles over rated and over hyped, but put on some Jackson Browne and listen to your less expensive IEM's vs the Savants that you may or may not have ever listened to and hear him pronounce S's. Listen to the trailing edge.  Listen to the harmonics of the music.  I can go on and on, but I'm sure you won't do that.  I'm glad you are happy with what you are listening to from China.  

Stuffs from China , jesus.... Are you generalizing entire Asia? Also what is wrong with stuffs from china? (seems to be old , ignorant and foolish)  Is company like Fiio, Hifiman, Ibasso garbage in your opinion? 

I feel shamed for folks living in america (their view  and exp can be so limited to Beats, Bose..). Their prejudices is pretty much based off media, bad opinions and hype. How many ciem companies in US have you ever had a chance to try them out except overhyped Noble, JH or UE..bet you will think 64audio, empire ears are nothing. There are tons of good ciem companies from Europe and Asia that makes ciem even better than what america has. Sorry you need to do a little research, reading on this forum. There are tons of expert reviews have been done on them, not just one but too many. 

I trust people who have experienced most of them rather than people who only try few and biased. 

Feb 28, 2016 at 2:26 PM Post #5,931 of 16,326

If you feel the Savant or K10's are over rated or over hyped, that's your opinion. I never said that other IEM's are not good, but to say they are over rated, I don't see it. I auditioned SO many IEMs in my two weeks in Japan, that I really think I know what many sound like.  I listen to a lot of live music and I have spent a ton of my time years ago in production studios.  I trust my ears as have many others I've consulted with for over 40 years.  We all hear differently.  I'm very new to headphones.  I used Stax Lambda's and Sennheiser 580's for years but sold them recently to get a small pair of IEM's.  I was also given a pair of PSB's with NC.  They are fun can's to play with.  I never loved the Senn's.  They left me cold much of the time.  No emotion.  The Staxs were awesome, but they were just too big for me to wear all the time.  I have MS and spend much time during bouts in my hospital bed.  I like to use the IEM's during this time especially.  

I've spent a bit of time with many folks within the audio industry to designers, engineers, manufacturers, marketers, writers etc....  I don't trust many of them as I wonder if they know how to critically listen.  Too often folks feel that speakers or headphones/IEM's that are highly detailed are too hot. That's not the case with well engineered transducers.  In order to emotionally connect to the music, which is what folks really want to do, you have to have all the detail you can get.  All too often components just aren't coherent.  I read so many threads on the site about bass heads and folks saying they love their bass turned up a db or two.  So many manufacturers do this at each end of the spectrum as that sells.  It's true.  just ask them and they will tell you if they are being honest.  To me, that's not coherent, nor is it what I want in a speaker/IEM or headphone.  I want the the whole spectrum to sound the way the engineer wanted it to sound.  I get that with the Savant's.  I didn't get that with so many of the other IEM's I nearly pulled the trigger on.  Westones were nice in the price range. I hated the Shures. I even owned a pair that my wife now uses when she travels.  I don't love many of the others that are out there. I have liked quite a few though, but I got the Savant's and I'm glad I did.  They may only use two drivers, but they are special drivers that are coherent and seamless.  They really get the mids correctly and that's 90% of things.  I do feel they are more like a midsize monitor rather than the full range speaker that goes into the 20's.  I have played some 192, well recorded orchestral music that has some notes into the 20's and it was fine.  Not what I wanted in that range, but bass is expensive (quality bass) even in IEM's. That's why I probably want the new K10's.

Over hyped?  Only if you are reading the Noble threads.  If we readers are over hyping them, maybe it's because we are really enjoying them.  Pray tell how that's over hyped?  I read JH threads saying awesome things about their IEM's and I only liked one of them when I heard them, but I felt the bass was way too pronounced, even though it didn't really bleed into the midrange.  It had a huge bass bump.  Those folks sure seem to love the.  

What too many don't understand is that you get to a specific level of performance and then in order to get incremental increases it costs 200 or more to get there. I really think that's often the time when folks bring out 'but I can buy a cheap Chinese version that is as good or better and only costs 100'.  NO WAY. Sorry, I've heard a ton of inexpensive stuff in Asia that just doesn't compete on the same plane with 500 IEM's.  If you think so, then congrats, you saved a lot of money, but when folks pay a lot of money for their electronics you need a great IEM to get all that you paid for.  I often just use my iPhone when I'm in the wood shop or outside, but in the house I have some good electronics.  I have heard my Savants on the Codex as well as the new Macintosh 5k headphone amp and I promise you that you can easily hear why these devices are so good. You will also hear the minute differences in the two pieces.  Personally I like the Codex better than that Mac, but both are great pieces. Wonderfully textured, full bodies, open, detailed etc....  The dealer had a pair of well known, less expensive IEM's. We cleaned off the tips and I listened.  Everything sucked.  They just weren't in the same range as the Savant's.  The store owner laughed because he bought those IEM's because someone on here went on and on as to why his IEM's were better than the Noble 6's I think he said.  He only uses them now for listening to talk radio when on the go.  He brought home a pair of Audeze for his late at night home listening.  I'm not sure if he ever got a pair of Savant's or K10's,but he said he was going to look into it.  This guy has a pair of Wilson XLF's (personally I don't love these) and Vandersteen 7 mkII's in his show room and he listens with top of the line Ayre or Boulder with DCS stacks etc.... the point is that he hears great and very expensive hi fi all day long and he and I agreed that we could both easily live with a Codex DAC/amp and a pair of Savants (preferably run in balanced) hooked up to a top digital source and be very happy with our music and not break the bank.

Sorry for the long response to the poster who called the Nobles over rated and over hyped, but put on some Jackson Browne and listen to your less expensive IEM's vs the Savants that you may or may not have ever listened to and hear him pronounce S's. Listen to the trailing edge.  Listen to the harmonics of the music.  I can go on and on, but I'm sure you won't do that.  I'm glad you are happy with what you are listening to from China.  

Stuffs from China , jesus.... Are you generalizing entire Asia? Also what is wrong with stuffs from china? (seems to be old , ignorant and foolish)  Is company like Fiio, Hifiman, Ibasso garbage in your opinion? 

I feel shamed for folks living in america (their view  and exp can be so limited to Beats, Bose..). Their prejudices is pretty much based off media, bad opinions and hype. How many ciem companies in US have you ever had a chance to try them out except overhyped Noble, JH or UE..bet you will think 64audio, empire ears are nothing. There are tons of good ciem companies from Europe and Asia that makes ciem even better than what america has. Sorry you need to do a little research, reading on this forum. There are tons of expert reviews have been done on them, not just one but too many. 

I trust people who have experienced most of them rather than people who only try few and biased. 

C'mon guys let's break this up? The guy did say he's heard various hi-end IEMs in Japan, maybe he was just unlucky not to hit on one he liked? Beats and Bose in the US? Who's stereotyping here (both?)

I would just say, although I have only heard the K10 and not the Savant, going off Noble's own description ("Perhaps the most subjectively balanced in-ear monitor Dr. John has designed thus far..."), the K10 would definitely be a try-before-buy item for me if I were you. It may not be the direct upgrade to the Savant that you are looking for.

As a one-time mastering engineer (?) ctsooner22 you may also be aware of the following:
1. Just like with tuning mixes, there can come a point with playback systems where enough is enough in terms of tweaking it to your tastes and trying to top "as perfect as can be" can lead you downhill instead of up--hence, again, it may turn out that you like the Savant more than the K10

2. People's tastes in sound is just as varied as their personality (especially in headphones, where personal physiology plays a role in determining what colorations are heard compared to reference speakers), so there's no absolute best headphones. Hence, yes, you should indeed be happy that there are Chinese earphones that other people enjoy, even when listening to your mixes--and gearofwar should also be happy for you to have found the Savant :smile:

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Feb 28, 2016 at 2:38 PM Post #5,933 of 16,326
  I'm looking hard at the Onkyo for my Savant's. I LOVE THEM.  Best IEM I've heard and I've heard most of the more expensive ones when in Japan this summer.  The Savant's are just incredible.  I do want to hear the K10's as those I haven't heard yet, but I have a few friend who listen the way I do and they swear by them..

I hope to find out for myself how these sound.

Sorry Savant or K10 are somewhat overated and overhyped. Not saying K10 is bad but its not that mighty best like people are trying to hype it up. You should look around, there are tons of amazing iem around as seen in the last Canjam in Sing

I would always seek to try products for myself and decide if they are to my liking. I tend to take others opinions with a pinch of salt, be they positive or negative.
I tend to order in the UK online so I will have the option to return with distance selling laws.

And apparently you can even spend very modest money and get very good performance from some up and coming Chinese IEM companies. I have been following a thread dedicated to Chinese and Asian companies and on the suggestions of some IEM collectors in the thread I spent a whopping $42 to get some LZ Z03A from Easy Earphones on Aliexpress. Apparently these perform well past their price point. I guess in a few weeks I will know.

I never baulk at a reasonable bargain or two, I'll have to look to see if I can find this thread you talk of

Oh BTW. Gisele carries products from other manufacturers. 1964 Ears and Cosmic Ears among others. (I have no connection other than being a very impressed customer!)

It just gets better, I might have to book a whole afternoon with her.
I wish I was aware of her services earlier, well I was regarding her apparent excellent customer service and impressions, but not of her range of IEM's. Might have saved me a penny or two (or maybe not) 
gs1000.gif

Feb 28, 2016 at 2:40 PM Post #5,934 of 16,326
Feb 28, 2016 at 2:44 PM Post #5,935 of 16,326
I hope to find out for myself how these sound.

I would always seek to try products for myself and decide if they are to my liking. I tend to take others opinions with a pinch of salt, be they positive or negative.

It just gets better, I might have to book a whole afternoon with her.

I wish I was aware of her services earlier, well I was regarding her apparent excellent customer service and impressions, but not of her range of IEM's. Might have saved me a penny or two (or maybe not) :gs1000smile:

Just check with her that she has demo units of the other manufacturers. I know she deals with them but I don't know how closely. Give her a call or drop her an email. She's very friendly.

Feb 28, 2016 at 3:02 PM Post #5,936 of 16,326
Feb 28, 2016 at 3:11 PM Post #5,937 of 16,326
Just check with her that she has demo units of the other manufacturers. I know she deals with them but I don't know how closely. Give her a call or drop her an email. She's very friendly.

I just text Gisele and asked.
Hope no one minds, this is her reply. Easier to copy and paste.
Hi Kris,
I have CustomArt
I'm waiting for Cosmic and HearWave
The guy from Chord is poorly so waiting and will have the Mojo soon
I'm a recommended audiologist for UE, JH and 1964

Feb 28, 2016 at 3:15 PM Post #5,938 of 16,326
Wow, I just laugh at some of the attacks and misreading of folks posts at times.  I too often misunderstand others posts.  First time in my life I've ever been called prejudice.  I have close friends who have their gear made in China as well as other countries and as long as he is set up with his people, the QC is fine.  It's the same thing no matter where you are having your gear made, you need to be there to be in control (US included).  Again, you called Noble's out which isn't nice to do.  I wonder how much time you have even spent with them???  If you don't like them for yourself, that's great, don't buy them, but don't put them down either in a thread where others have and like them.  YES, I've listened to a lot of the IEM's that are on the market from all over the world.  A few I've liked, but too many are lacking.  I have been in audio since 69.  That's a long time.  My home system is something very special and not what most people get to hear on a regular basis.  I'm very very fortunate for that, but it was a goal of mine an it's taken a long long time to get here.  I still make moves, but calculated ones as the poster above pointed out.  I always am thinking about return on investment. 

That's where this thread needs to get back on target.  What is the return on investment in getting the Onkyo over other DAP's.  I know the US price will be greater than 600, but how much greater?  I am going to wait to see if I even like it.  That's really the only way to purchase audio IF YOU CAN.  I wish we had a store in NYC let's say, that had all the DAP's that are talked about and not just one brand. That's why I loved the Osaka store and Tokyo store I was in.  they had everything, including cables.  You could listen to what you wanted to and see what you liked and didn't like. I'm spoiled in that I know what music should sound like as I listen live a lot.  Most components are pretty good these day, but not all give the emotion of the music.  I must have that or it's a waste of money as I won't listen.  I just sold a pair of Stax Lamda Pro's I've had for years, because they didn't always draw me in and I always had well recorded music to listen to.  Some swear by them and they are great cans, but in the end I like so many of the newer gear much more.  

Will I like the Onkyo enough to get it?  I am glad others leave reviews, but as I have always said, reviews mean nothing unless you know the reviewer and his or her tastes.  There should be a ton of positive written in this thread as it's the official thread.  I personally must have a DAP that streams Tidal, is fully balanced and offered MQA. I've heard MQA and I loved what it did.  I think that once we get studio's recording in MQA from day one, we will appreciate it even more.  I'm usually only about the SQ of a device, but if I spring for a DAP, I do want all the bells and whistles that Onkyo is providing.  I keep trying to find out other DAP's that will have the same inclusions and right now I don't see any.  Since I'm streaming to much Tidal when using my IEM's, maybe I just need a great DAC/amp that will be able to be used on the next gen or iPhones that won't have headphone connections other than BT, lol.  

How many of you stream Tidal from the Onkyo and how do you like it compared to streaming it on your iPhone?  Is there a big sound difference due to the better DAC/amp on the Onkyo?
Thanks and Sorry to the board for getting off target, but if someones comes after me or a friend, my natural instinct is to fight back.

Feb 28, 2016 at 3:48 PM Post #5,939 of 16,326
How many of you stream Tidal from the Onkyo and how do you like it compared to streaming it on your iPhone?  Is there a big sound difference due to the better DAC/amp on the Onkyo?
Thanks and Sorry to the board for getting off target, but if someones comes after me or a friend, my natural instinct is to fight back.

I think you upset a few people with your implied dig at Chinese gear. You would have probably got away with the rest of what you are saying. :wink:
I now only listen to Tidal. I haven't bought a CD or download in the last few years. So all I want a DAP to do is stream and store offline content.
For a few years now my player has been my iPhone which I have been adamant is as high quality as I need.
However! Got curious as to what other DAPs sound like in comparison.
Haven't got a lot of spare cash ATM so decided that a secondhand DAC/Amp was the way forward.
Picked up an Onkyo HA 200 from the classifieds on here. A lovely example from an excellent fellow. Iceclass.
I don't know if the HA200 has a similar sound to the DP-X1. I suspect it does. Without all the nice DSP of course.
I have had to eat my words regarding the iPhone. Without going into a whole review I can sum up the effect of the HA200 as increasing musicality.
It's not accurate mind so you may not like the result. For me the iPhone is more accurate but less enjoyable.
I don't know if that helps at all?

Feb 28, 2016 at 4:28 PM Post #5,940 of 16,326

That's where this thread needs to get back on target.  What is the return on investment in getting the Onkyo over other DAP's.  I know the US price will be greater than 600, but how much greater?

When I asked an Onkyo rep about this at CES 2016, they said that the DP-X1's MSRP will be $900 USD. However, they also told me that the minimum advertised price (the lowest they'll allow their dealers to sell for) will be around $800, and so that's going to more likely be the street price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back