ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Feb 28, 2016 at 4:55 PM Post #5,941 of 16,326

When I asked an Onkyo rep about this at CES 2016, they said that the DP-X1's MSRP will be $900 USD. However, they also told me that the minimum advertised price (the lowest they'll allow their dealers to sell for) will be around $800, and so that's going to more likely be the street price.

Makes sense, and that is fair in the marketplace. What many people don't seem to know is that while a reseller has to abide by the MAP (Minimum Advertised Price) they are free to sell for whatever price they wish as the goods are their property. So if you find a reseller who stocks asking for $799US by all means ask what their best price is and some may actually be willing to drop the price a little.

Feb 28, 2016 at 5:48 PM Post #5,943 of 16,326
Wow, glad I got mine for $560 and some change then. Delivered, too

Even more so if you're in Europe, the retail price will be 899€ !

Feb 28, 2016 at 6:08 PM Post #5,944 of 16,326

Even more so if you're in Europe, the retail price will be 899€ !

I assume in Europe it is due to the stricter import tax-regime that all EU countries harmonize?

Feb 28, 2016 at 6:11 PM Post #5,945 of 16,326
does anyone know what the highest resolution album art can be displayed? looks like i have a ot of retagging to do
blink.gif

Feb 28, 2016 at 6:23 PM Post #5,946 of 16,326
Feb 28, 2016 at 6:31 PM Post #5,947 of 16,326
I assume in Europe it is due to the stricter import tax-regime that all EU countries harmonize?

I'd rather say it's general practice of all brands to price products in euros as they are in dollars, not too bad for northern europe where incomes are higher but not so good for us there :p

Feb 28, 2016 at 8:34 PM Post #5,949 of 16,326
Kris, thanks.  yes you made sense.  I appreciate that.  I think I need to at least get a very good DAC/amp for travel.

As for the price of about 800, that puts it in a different league for me.  Maybe I need to just keep the iPhone for music too and not worry about extra toys or maybe I'll look for a great deal.

Feb 28, 2016 at 8:42 PM Post #5,950 of 16,326
I'm getting more and more frustrated that apparently were not even allowed to share an opposing opinion on this forum even when outside an official sponsored thread... how can it be not hype if the moment someone else says a different thing he gets picked apart by a rapacious flock? I never see a respectful acknowledgement like "thanks for sharing your point of view, it surely differs from how I experienced it". Why resorting to discrediting with lack of gear/ or not enough experience in the field(s)?

Am I allowed to say that as current owner amongst others of a Noble Savant that, I too, feel is either overhyped due to its price and size or just too expensive for its decent sound and build quality? Noble decided to keep the same shell as the rest of universal line-up. Ok it cuts down on manufacturing costs. It's their decision, fine. But when they decide to also play a losing game of mystery bag, I feel I'm rightfully allowed to voice discontent after finding out what was inside. Because for that price as universal from factor it could've been at least much smaller sized + better isolation +fit/seal.

We're I to keep one universal fit iem, I'd pick the Fiio EX-1 over it, no brainer.
We're I not so mistrusting and scared of being scammed I'd have tried to sell my Savant more than 3 months ago. The current price ought to have been sla custom fit at least.
Disclaimer: I'm a ciem>>iem guy.

Shout out to Bob @Trinity Audio Engineering for doing the good fight with great amazeballs iems at awesomesauce prices. Also can't wait Haven to release its Hyperdynamic to further shake things up.

Back on the Onkyo:
Kaneda-san did refund me in the end for the leather case.
Received my Dignis case a week ago and it is gorgeous.

It's gonna exquisitely match my black and red themed Norne Therium cable.

I love the latest firmware. Folder browser feature was a must for me. I only used that mode with the zx2. Was critically more so important with th Onkyo as the scanning for library is always prone to missing something. I was curious if the fast scrollbar on Onkyo player would also show up A-Z letters like in Library mode (the Sony ZX2 doesn't show the letters in browser mode). I was most pleasantly surprised to see that the Onkyo instead was displaying the first word of the subfolders. This made it even faster now to quickly switch between music.

All this being said. Until I'm getting my Zeus ciem and Norne cable back, I'm using the Cowon Plenue D every day. The Zx2 has the night shifts duty (asmr YouTube playlists).
I was dumbfounded when I plugged the Zeus to the Plenue D. Absolutely unable to perceive a hiss. Nada. It this was on pause or with no music. If there is it's hidden behind my tinnitus. The Onkyo has a very low noise floor with the Zeus but I could still notice it when on pause or no music. It's just non distracting, whereas on the Plenue D it's not discernible haha. And that tiny thing is very powerful for iems, the wonderful Jet Effect EQ, and to top it all, a battery than makes the zx2 feel like a dpx1 lol.
I'd have no shame if I were to sell off the zx2 + dpx1 + Norne cable and keep the Zeus/PD and slap a SuperBax for the ultra portable king totl setup. And yeah, even after having had the following:

Hahaha >:-]]

Feb 28, 2016 at 10:44 PM Post #5,953 of 16,326
Feb 29, 2016 at 3:46 AM Post #5,954 of 16,326
I'm getting more and more frustrated that apparently were not even allowed to share an opposing opinion on this forum even when outside an official sponsored thread... how can it be not hype if the moment someone else says a different thing he gets picked apart by a rapacious flock? I never see a respectful acknowledgement like "thanks for sharing your point of view, it surely differs from how I experienced it". Why resorting to discrediting with lack of gear/ or not enough experience in the field(s)?

Am I allowed to say that as current owner amongst others of a Noble Savant that, I too, feel is either overhyped due to its price and size or just too expensive for its decent sound and build quality? Noble decided to keep the same shell as the rest of universal line-up. Ok it cuts down on manufacturing costs. It's their decision, fine. But when they decide to also play a losing game of mystery bag, I feel I'm rightfully allowed to voice discontent after finding out what was inside. Because for that price as universal from factor it could've been at least much smaller sized + better isolation +fit/seal

Hi Caigin. :) Do bear in mind that for every keyboard warrior who feels he has to charge into battle to defend his chosen clan there are probably a hundred who read a post and think "fair enough" but don't bother to post.
Regarding the Savant, there was a huge fuss on the Noble thread when it was discovered that there are only a couple of drivers in there. I don't quite get the problem. I buy my gear for how it sounds. I don't really care if there is only one unicorn fart inside my K10's. (There isn't, I checked,my K10's are translucent!)
I think that keeping the driver count secret was a genuine attempt by Noble to counter the "driver warz" mentality and get people to judge them on sound alone. This rather backfired but as Noble say, they zig where others zag.
I take your point about form factor but that's all to do with Noble's business decisions IMHO.
I'm interested to read what you say about the Pleune D. You really reckon it is that good?
That Dignis case looks the nuts BTW.
Enjoy your music. :)

Feb 29, 2016 at 6:58 AM Post #5,955 of 16,326
Hi Caigin.
smily_headphones1.gif
Do bear in mind that for every keyboard warrior who feels he has to charge into battle to defend his chosen clan there are probably a hundred who read a post and think "fair enough" but don't bother to post.
Regarding the Savant, there was a huge fuss on the Noble thread when it was discovered that there are only a couple of drivers in there. I don't quite get the problem. I buy my gear for how it sounds. I don't really care if there is only one unicorn fart inside my K10's. (There isn't, I checked,my K10's are translucent!)
I think that keeping the driver count secret was a genuine attempt by Noble to counter the "driver warz" mentality and get people to judge them on sound alone. This rather backfired but as Noble say, they zig where others zag.
I take your point about form factor but that's all to do with Noble's business decisions IMHO.
I'm interested to read what you say about the Pleune D. You really reckon it is that good?
That Dignis case looks the nuts BTW.
Enjoy your music.
smily_headphones1.gif

Agree 100% on the driver wars thing. I didn't even know much about this until I noticed a trend on many IEM manufacturers websites where there were a range of IEM's, all classified according to how many drivers there were. I guess this is in part motivated by the general modern business practice regarding promotion/placement of products; always new and improved, some new technology or function or 'bigger and better' (or smaller and better lol). There's no use railing against it; it is what it is and we mostly all have bought into it, or at least find ourselves influenced by it, willingly or otherwise. And obviously, it works. Very well.
So manufacturers, especially small niche companies trying to make a living doing something they love can hardly be blamed for participating in this strategy, especially since the consumers all seem to buy into it or desire it too :p

On a more 'on topic' note, my main dispute (and the thing which inflamed this whole debate in the first place) is with the use of the phrase 'overhyped'.
Cagin is an excellent and valuable poster on Head-Fi (and I think met you bridfly at London CanJam on reception, but I could be mistaken; too many people and faces lol); I absolutely defend his right to express opinions, including those that are against the tide.
Loads of people have bought/listened to the DP-X1 and been delighted with it. Others haven't been, and bear in mind that the reason for satisfaction or otherwise may be based on a host of factors beyond that of sound quality alone (aesthetics, build quality, UI, funtionality etc).

My point is, if 100 users express happiness *overall* with the DP-X1 (niggles and concerns allowed for), but 20 others for any/all of the reasons above dislike it, does it make it overhyped?
If anyone says a product is "overhyped", it can come across as very arrogant or prescriptive, precisely because it's natural implication is to suggest that anyone who likes the prodcut has been fooled or is fooling themselves. This goes both ways of course. If 100 people dislike a product and 20 love it, neither experience should invalidate the experience of the other side.

Instead of talking about 'hype', why not just focus on simply whether you (meaning whoever is posting) like or dislike it and why?
Doing this in a way that makes allowance for other people's differing opinions and experiences makes for a positive and more informative thread.
I think on the whole, this DP-X1 thread has done that rather well. The only thing that derails matters is dogmatic "my truth is right, therefore yours must be mistaken/delusional" kinds of statements.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back