ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Jan 20, 2016 at 5:36 AM Post #3,933 of 16,326
You may want to audition the single-Tesla-driver AKT8iE from AK-beyerdynamic.

It is known to give you a more organic and intimate and effortless reproduction of sound as opposed to what multi-balanced armature IEMs do with multiple drivers.

Built like a German tank.

Comes with detachable cables - both 3.5 TRS and AK's 2.5 TRRS balanced cables
that work with Onkyo DP-X1 in SE and balanced mode in great synergy.

http://shop.iriverinc.com/astell-kern/astell-kern-akt8ie-in-ear-monitors-by-beyerdynamic.html

Damn how did I miss these!!! They look fantastic!!!
On the short list for sure!

Jan 20, 2016 at 6:16 AM Post #3,934 of 16,326

Would a small piece of blu-tak work to cover the socket while the acrylic/sugru is applied? Still haven't received my unit yet its been stuck in UK customs all week. For anybody based in the UK and of a certain age this is rapidly turning into a Blue Peter type project! ps good call on the Sugru Id never heard of the stuff looks very useful, just ordered some from Amazon to play with

Jan 20, 2016 at 6:19 AM Post #3,935 of 16,326

Would a small piece of blu-tak work to cover the socket while the acrylic/sugru is applied? Still haven't received my unit yet its been stuck in UK customs all week. For anybody based in the UK and of a certain age this is rapidly turning into a Blue Peter type project! ps good call on the Sugru Id never heard of the stuff looks very useful, just ordered some from Amazon to play with

​
I ordered it too today :)

If it can fix the problem at so low cost, it could be a good thing.

Jan 20, 2016 at 6:19 AM Post #3,936 of 16,326
Still haven't received my unit yet its been stuck in UK customs all week. For anybody based in the UK and of a certain age this is rapidly turning into a Blue Peter type project! 

I feel for you, mine have been stuck a week at french customs, random control and they take their time... hope it ends up well!

Jan 20, 2016 at 6:21 AM Post #3,937 of 16,326

You may want to audition the single-Tesla-driver AKT8iE from AK-beyerdynamic.

It is known to give you a more organic and intimate and effortless reproduction of sound as opposed to what multi-balanced armature IEMs do with multiple drivers.

Built like a German tank.

Comes with detachable cables - both 3.5 TRS and AK's 2.5 TRRS balanced cables
that work with Onkyo DP-X1 in SE and balanced mode in great synergy.

http://shop.iriverinc.com/astell-kern/astell-kern-akt8ie-in-ear-monitors-by-beyerdynamic.html

Cant seem to find any reviews of these...and strangely no real world impressions on head fi either?

Jan 20, 2016 at 6:52 AM Post #3,941 of 16,326
  Cant seem to find any reviews of these...and strangely no real world impressions on head fi either?

There are few reviews indeed, most of them not that interesting... I think AK has narrow distribution and also the price is putting off people, it's almost like they built a technological prototype of a tesla driven IEM and forgot about it with just a few press release and pseudo reviews. Puzzling, as the few real world impressions are rather interesting.

Check out the headfi thread for real world impressions. Consensus seems to be warm signature with deep well controlled bass, lush mids and detailed but polite treble along with good soundstage and fast driver. 

Jan 20, 2016 at 7:12 AM Post #3,942 of 16,326
  Thanks I wish Id gone for the FedEx option now, didn't think customs would take so long!

I had the same thought, but in my case it was customs control that could have it either EMS or Fedex or any transporter, no regret...

Jan 20, 2016 at 7:37 AM Post #3,943 of 16,326
yep, thanks. Although will be pretty heard with 3.5 socett

You don't need to cover the 3.5 if you don't have the confident. It seems to be acceptable, but if you can, then go ahead, I say fill-up 1/2 of the gap should be enough. Fill up the part "toward" the screen, because toward the screen is where the socket most susceptible to the movements away from the motherboard.

As long as it is easily removable and securely cover the socket opening so you don't accidentally drop anything inside, then you are good to go

Jan 20, 2016 at 7:54 AM Post #3,944 of 16,326

Here is one new unit on sale in Austria at
€700​
 ​
(EURO)​

http://www.head-fi.org/t/786262/beyerdynamic-astell-kern-akt8ie-iem

This IEM has not many real world impressions because:

1. At $999, most of us would be only considering/upgrading to multi balanced armature.

2. To most of us, it's hard to believe that a single dynamic driver can deliver goods great enough to be $999

3. The AK-tag only clearly hints at its general overpricing policy despite the IEMs being great enough.

4. The AK strong-arm tactics - it insisted beyerdynamic not to sell the IEM through its distribution. It is available ONLY through AK retail shops and authorised dealers. beyerdynamic is just a midwife. Even the warranty seems to be AK's. Not beyer's.

5. In general, most of AK's already little ad spend goes towards advertising its DAPs. This IEM is more like an accessory. AKT5p headphone has decent enough exposure because it has been in market for a few years and word of mouth helped AK community and others to notice it. This new IEM might get enough recognition in due time, if users do realise that a single dynamic driver could be as good, if not better than, some multi BA but I doubt it because anybody who is willing to spend $999 would rather put his dynamic driver past behind and move onto multi BA IEMs or even CIEMs that are not exactly a bad idea in itself.

So, an audition of a broken-in unit might help. Or, buy, use for a few days and return, if unhappy. Last I heard, in addition to many good things about it, it really scales up well with amplification.

Let's continue this discussion via PM. This is Onkyo thread. Sorry. :frowning2:

Jan 20, 2016 at 8:00 AM Post #3,945 of 16,326
  Here is one new unit on sale in Austria at
€700​
 ​
(EURO)​

http://www.head-fi.org/t/786262/beyerdynamic-astell-kern-akt8ie-iem

This IEM has not many real world impressions because:

1. At $999, most of us would be only considering/upgrading to multi balanced armature.

2. To most of us, it's hard to believe that a single dynamic driver can deliver goods great enough to be $999

3. The AK-tag only clearly hints at its general overpricing policy despite the IEMs being great enough.

4. The AK strong-arm tactics - it insisted beyerdynamic not to sell the IEM through its distribution. It is available ONLY through AK retail shops and authorised dealers. beyerdynamic is just a midwife. Even the warranty seems to be AK's. Not beyer's.

5. In general, most of AK's already little ad spend goes towards advertising its DAPs. This IEM is more like an accessory. AKT5p headphone has decent enough exposure because it has been in market for a few years and word of mouth helped AK community and others to notice it. This new IEM might get enough recognition in due time, if users do realise that a single dynamic driver could be as good, if not better than, some multi BA but I doubt it because anybody who is willing to spend $999 would rather put his dynamic driver past behind and move onto multi BA IEMs or even CIEMs that are not exactly a bad idea in itself.

So, an audition of a broken-in unit might help. Or, buy, use for a few days and return, if unhappy. Last I heard, in addition to many good things about it, it really scales up well with amplification.

Let's continue this discussion via PM. This is Onkyo thread. Sorry. :frowning2:

Thank you for the comprehensive post...it seems that the Oriolus seem to be a better bet in terms of SQ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back