ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Jan 19, 2016 at 7:28 PM Post #3,901 of 16,326
I filled it with clear acrylic. You can fill it up with anything you would like as long as you minimize the play from side to side, you are good. Most of these socket ]s could withstand forces of plug/unplug pretty good just how they are on laptop, so it shouldn't be the problem. The real problem here is the side to side play. Keep in mind that the board would have a clearance for side-side play, hence I said the 3.5 is acceptable...however the 2.5 is not! You need to fix it ASAP...I don't even think Onkyo would reject your warranty because of that...you attempted to help the problem...not to mod and ruin it.

From this picture you can see that the side which is soldered onto the board is closer to the frame. The gap is toward the top and to the screen, where the play would act like someone constantly trying to "ply" the socket away from the motherboard.....ofcourse after a few times it would broke free from the solder joints and eventually fail.

So if you can really minimize this side-side plays, you are golden. I feel more comfortable with plug/unplug now....however if I was to drop it, or bend it at that angle, it would still risk of being broken.

The real fix would be to reduce the size of this open hole on the chassis ....it makes no senses to have this 2.5 port the same size as the 3.5 port....unless the CNC engineer/tech made a mistake....

Jan 19, 2016 at 9:18 PM Post #3,902 of 16,326
Whitigir /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I filled it with clear acrylic.
How did you control for drips making their way into the casing, did you use the mesh you were discussing earlier? If so what was the type and gauge of the mesh? Thanks buddy.

Jan 19, 2016 at 9:40 PM Post #3,903 of 16,326
Acrylic dry fast, and it doesn't drip or run at all. Even if it does, you only need to turn it upside down. Just remember to cover the socket opening with a paper tape so the acrylic doesn't fell into it :D. When it changes color, use a flat ruler and wipe it on top. Clean off the left over on the side with alcohol :wink:

The kit can be purchased in Walmart for about $30-40 or cheaper

http://www.walmart.com/ip/10324105?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=14&adid=22222222227000012330&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=t&wl3=40843895192&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=78657271832&veh=sem

Practice to control the acrylic powder first. When you are confident, you can proceed. If you are in the states, I would fill your gaps for free :D on both, the 3.5 and 2.5 mm hehe. You can't even see it in the pic below :D...hell, you can't even see it in real life lol.

Anyone wonder, acrylic is another form of plastic, it is controlable for sculpture and craft in many things, is totally non-allergic and free of conductivity...it is plastic ! :p and used in many high-end CIEM products...different grades, but none the less...acrylic

Jan 19, 2016 at 10:20 PM Post #3,904 of 16,326
Acrylic dry fast, and it doesn't drip or run at all. Even if it does, you only need to turn it upside down. Just remember to cover the socket opening with a paper tape so the acrylic doesn't fell into it
biggrin.gif
. When it changes color, use a flat ruler and wipe it on top. Clean off the left over on the side with alcohol
wink.gif

I wonder how stable the bond with metal is? I'm assuming it is good being acrylic, but I know metal compositions can vary widely So I assume the alcohol will only work for a short time before it cures? How long does the product take to change colour and after that how long do you have to clean away the residue with the alcohol?

So, have you done any listening yet? The ZX2 was for quite some time the DAP I really wanted, and almost bought on a few occasions, like I mean literally in the shopping cart ready to click submit. I value your input as I suspect we would be very similar in sound signature preferences. Cheers. 

Jan 19, 2016 at 11:03 PM Post #3,905 of 16,326
Acrylic bonds metallic surface just fine, again...depends on grades, the more expensive the more it Bonds. Acrylic if bond on a single metal alone by itself can be very tough, but if the metal bend, and the acrylic doesn't (hard plastic) then it would split away and fall off. But in this application there won't be any metal bending, or breaking away from the acrylic, it will stay for a good while to prevent the disastrous side-side plays.

Regarding first impressions on Dp-x1 and zx2
http://www.head-fi.org/t/742609/sony-nw-zx2-hi-end-dap/10215#post_12267574

Jan 19, 2016 at 11:53 PM Post #3,906 of 16,326
Ok, I just got the unit today. Upon close inspection, there is a gap in between the socket and the chassis. Huge one, it needs attention otherwise it would break, definitely...only matter of when.

wow, IMO that's huge gap.
here's my ak100ii pic, it's very precession, either in 3,5mm or 2,5mm. no huge gap between the socket.
now I had little worry about my onkyo, that being shipped to me
frown.gif

Jan 20, 2016 at 2:39 AM Post #3,908 of 16,326
I filled it with clear acrylic ...

Nice work Whitigir - you’re a craftsman.

I had a look at all the devices I have with a headphone socket last night and even the cheapest and shabbiest of them has the jack securely fixed and supported.

It is amazing that there’s been such a disconnect between design and manufacturing on what we would all expect to be a quality product. Personally I’d question whether the 3.5mm jack can be considered acceptable - there should be no visible movement there either, although it does look less likely to come to grief quickly.

I’m still very conflicted as to which way I should go. Although the additional tests that you and @Sonic Defender have helpfully done has reassured me on SQ issues, I don’t fancy having to modify a brand new device to address a design fault.

However there is still no certainty that the FiiO issues will be addressed and the “other device” is a lot of money for what is becoming outdated technology.

As I no longer have an intermittent fault on the micro-usb connection to my S3 transport - it’s now permanent, I need to make my mind up soon. 
smile.gif

Jan 20, 2016 at 3:07 AM Post #3,909 of 16,326
Cant believe they got a lot of things right and messed up the headphone interface. Talk about paying attention to details and screwing up the fundamentals.

Can owners of this device sound off on whether the ports have wiggle to it? 

Jan 20, 2016 at 3:38 AM Post #3,910 of 16,326
  Hi all, newbie in here. I've just bought this player. Everything is good, except having issue on playing DSF through Hugo. It occasionally stops for around 1s and then resumes playback. Replaying the same track without external DAC does not have the issue, which should rule out potential issue on the sd card. Anyone has similar experience? I'm using the stock playback software, DOP output. Thanks.

There is no issue if the DSD output is set to PCM. Is there anyone here replaying DSF through DoP to Hugo? I also tried the Onkyo HF Player and experienced the same issue.

Jan 20, 2016 at 4:03 AM Post #3,911 of 16,326
name="NPWS" wow, IMO that's huge gap.

here's my ak100ii pic, it's very precession, either in 3,5mm or 2,5mm. no huge gap between the socket.

now I had little worry about my onkyo, that being shipped to me:frowning2:

Defintely, I don't even know how it pass quality inspection in the first place. However when looking at the original prototype of it, it does seems the 3.5mm is ok to travel by a little bit. It is fairly common on laptop to have the sockets to travel a little bit. However....they should have no plays from sides to sides. I will have to fill up the 3.5mm as well.

My guess is that Onkyo designed it, but then everything was up to China manufacturing line to complete, and I think the quality control engineer probably was drunk lol. When enough unit got send back to warranty, then Onkyo would fix it. It is fairly simple as the above AK 2.5 socket was fit into a smaller chassis port (Onkyo needs to do the same), the DP-X1 2.5mm however seems to have been fit into the larger port of 3.5mm clearance instead

You can also fill it up with suguru as well, just make sure the suguru dry all the way (24 hours) before you plug anything into it. Suguru is the easiest to work with, but with much side-side play, your 2.5mm will definitely come out, just matter of when, or how soon.

Jan 20, 2016 at 4:14 AM Post #3,912 of 16,326
​As I said, if a sleeve is covering the whole socket and just let the 2,5 mm hole to allow the plug, the socket wont be able to make lateral movements, right ? They can also reinforce the borders of the hole with a thicker plastic to prevent time wear.

Jan 20, 2016 at 4:20 AM Post #3,913 of 16,326
​As I said, if a sleeve is covering the whole socket and just let the 2,5 mm hole to allow the plug, the socket wont be able to make lateral movements, right ? They can also reinforce the borders of the hole with a thicker plastic to prevent time wear.

Yeah, they can temporarily fill-up the gap with plastic to address the issue, but the permanent way would be to have the port drilled smaller for the 2.5mm socket. Suguru will be your best and safest bet. Use black color ? I doubt Onkyo would reject warranty work on it just simply because the owner just want to help addressing the issue without damaging the device. It is not like you neglect to keep it new....it is new, but improved lol.

Believe it or not, I couldn't even enjoy music without the gap filled...it was that worry some to me. I plugged/unplugged 2-3 times, and the feeling was horrible, the jack would be very very tight in/out....I was very careful, but could see the side-side movements on plug/unplug....crazily bothersome.

Jan 20, 2016 at 4:25 AM Post #3,914 of 16,326
Yeah, they can temporarily fill-up the gap with plastic to address the issue, but the permanent way would be to have the port drilled smaller for the 2.5mm socket. Suguru will be your best and safest bet. Use black color ? I doubt Onkyo would reject warranty work on it just simply because the owner just want to help addressing the issue without damaging the device. It is not like you neglect to keep it new....it is new, but improved lol.

You're right. I just hope if we notice them the issue, they may examine it and improve their official sleeve (which has been delayed to the 15th Feb) to prevent the risks.

How are you doing to insert suguru glue around the socket ? with a pin ? a syringe ?  

Jan 20, 2016 at 4:28 AM Post #3,915 of 16,326
You're right. I just hope if we notice them the issue, they may examine it and improve their official sleeve (which has been delayed to the 15th Feb) to prevent the risks.

How are you doing to insert suguru glue in around the socket ? with a pin ? a syringe ? 

Just form your suguru in to a thin thread, then Use your finger and push it (slowly) into the gap. Then clean up the area around neat and nice (let it dry for 20-24 hours before next use). I don't have any contacts to Onkyo officials, so I don't even know how to bring it to their attentions...lol. I honestly think that if you fill your gaps, you are set to many hours of enjoyment as sockets were designed to withstand plug/unplug forces (in/out) but plying of side to side were never designed lol....aka your gaps and lateral movements

Users who are viewing this thread

Back