ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Jan 18, 2016 at 6:47 AM Post #3,751 of 16,326
Woo hoo my new SanDisk Ultra 128 GB microSDXC UHS-I (UHS 2) cards plus with SD Adapter (approx 80 MB/s, Class 10 FFP) x2 is coming tomorrow!
:D

Paid £39.99 for each (that's $57.02 US), for a total of £79.98 ($114.04)!
:eek:

I was going to buy the Lexar Professional 128GB 1000X MicroSDXC UHS-II (UHS 3) card but that's £90.05 ($128.39)!!! :blink:

Minus some on-board memory that I obviously can't use, that'll be about 250+ GB alone, far bigger than my iPod Classic 160GB!
Not exactly enough for all my music but great for all my high-resolution and vinyl rips! Can't wait for the 250GB, 256GB, and 512GB cards to be released sometime this year (and then drop in price very late this year!).

Would be excellent if they can release 256 and higher capacity microSD card by this year!

Jan 18, 2016 at 8:06 AM Post #3,752 of 16,326
I wonder if there is any tempered glass screen protector available for this player yet ? Now, according to this ESS Sabres specs, the DAC can fully be accessed by software , and can fully be playing DSD file natively....

http://www.esstech.com/files/8714/4095/2156/SABRE9018C2M_PB_v0.9_141212.pdf

davidmolliere and Zenifyx have both correctly described the chips behind the Onkyo DP-X1, and Zenifyx has made a good point regarding native DSD and DSD implementation.

I also posted an in depth post many pages back regarding native and non native. Bear in mind that the best DAC's in the world use either extreme FPGA chips with hardcore coding from scratch (non-native chips by default, such as TotalDAC, Nagra HD & Classic DAC, Chord), and well implemented ESS Sabre DAC's (exaSound). Other chips include AKM and Burr-Brown amongst others that do native DSD conversion.

The premise is simple: would you rather rely on a SOC chip to do all conversion natively, or use bespoke coding and filters to enhance conversion?

Both schools are correct but the idea that native DSD is the greatest parh is incorrect: it can be, or it may not be; implementation is KING in that respect.

---

Moving on to your question about tempered glass, I had posted extensively on the official Onkyo DPA-GL033 tempered glass screen protector for both Onkyo DP-X1 and Pioneer XDP-100R.

I ordered my DP-X1 with the DPA-GL033 and the official DPA-PUX1 leather case from PriceJapan.
Both are listed at the bottom of the official Japanese Onkyo DP-X1 page too.

As davidmolliere has said the DPA-PUX1 leather case is being released around the 22nd.
That's because I was the first Head-Fi'er to find out and post about both accessories; I had extensive email conversations with Kaneda of PriceJapan and he revealed the date of the leather case and how you can use PriceJapan for warranty claims st cost to yourself with shipping.
The interior of the DPA-PUX1 is yellow; I guess to match the Onkyo DP-X1 Music app GUI?

Furthermore, there is a third party tie-in bag called Van Nuys VD-280-00 DP-X1/XDP-100R Carrying Case.
When I enquired with Kaneda about this he said it's being released in February. I could pay $94.00 separately or $60.00 as part of my then order.
I declined as I could not justify using the case but YMMV.
Here's one of a few posts I wrote regarding this earlier.

Here's my post of when I applied the DPA-GL033 tempered glass screen protector (I had a small blemish as part of installation that is totally my fault, but the leather case will hide it).

The vast majority of all pics I've taken with the DP-X1 has the DPA-GL033 screen protector on. It's AMAZEBALLS!

I should add that though the DPA-GL033 is an official product, it is made by O&P Innovations (by Deff Corporation). That sounds third party but when I did benchmarks of the DP-X1 it too was known as O&P Innovations DP-X1!
Take a look at my previous post here regarding that and the benchmarks.

Some pics last night including the DPA-GL033 (and the blemish on the bottom right-hand corner; enjoy!

Jan 18, 2016 at 8:27 AM Post #3,754 of 16,326
Would be excellent if they can release 256 and higher capacity microSD card by this year!

It will happen, both 256GB and 512GB.

Funny thing is a year and a half ago year the 128GB was released at massive prices but look at how much it dropped within a year!
Same with 200GB last year.

So I envisage high initial prices but near Christmas prices will drop.

On that note, I got my cards...wait...ONE CARD? Where's the other What...grr :mad:
Time to report to Amazon (sigh, extra work)...

Jan 18, 2016 at 8:37 AM Post #3,755 of 16,326
128GB is the sweet spot as that is already a lot of songs to scroll through, especially with two cards in a DAP. I will of course be happy as 200GB and greater cards come onto the market because 128GB will then be at throwaway prices.

Jan 18, 2016 at 9:42 AM Post #3,757 of 16,326
The larger the capacity, the slower the speed
biggrin.gif
. Optimized to be 32-64 max

Speed is only one part of the equation, speed of modern card should be well over what's required, it's access time especially for small files that kills perf or use case like writing while reading (like streaming while syncing for example)

Jan 18, 2016 at 10:24 AM Post #3,759 of 16,326
Lol...don't matter, there is something to call buffer ...etc...etc....streaming - the faster- the better ? But let's not get too sciencetific here. Expecting dp-x1 today
biggrin.gif

Lucky boy, if I am lucky I will (finally!!!) get it tomorrow... it has been a LONG wait...

Jan 18, 2016 at 10:30 AM Post #3,760 of 16,326

User earfonia helpfully posted a link to actual recordings of the distortion he was experiencing using a test file - https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2Mi2rrmALKFaXB0cjBCc0FqVXc/view?usp=sharing

While more extensive testing and reporting of exeriences is welcome, it would be very helpful for others to repeat earfonia's test with different system settings / headphones.

I just uploaded the Risset Drum track to YouTube for easy testing:

https://youtu.be/o8RQYn1vS_A

Try to play that YouTube video using Onkyo DP-X1 and compare playback sound to your smartphone playing the same track. You can easily hear that the Risset Drum track sounds distorted on DP-X1 while the beats of the Risset Drum track sounds clean on smartphone.

This is the original flac file I created:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2Mi2rrmALKFQzdHX3RvMTJmc0k/view?usp=sharing

I really hope that Onkyo would fix this issue. There is no point for using Android if 3rd party apps sounds worse than any smartphone.

I tested on UAPP, Gonemad player, PowerAmp, etc, all distorted.  Only the Onkyo stock player sounds clean to play the Risset Drum test track.
I created the track using Audacity and edited it in Reaper.

Jan 18, 2016 at 10:46 AM Post #3,761 of 16,326

I just uploaded the Risset Drum track to YouTube for easy testing:

https://youtu.be/o8RQYn1vS_A

Try to play that YouTube video using Onkyo DP-X1 and compare playback sound to your smartphone playing the same track. You can easily hear that the Risset Drum track sounds distorted on DP-X1 while the beats of the Risset Drum track sounds clean on smartphone.

This is the original flac file I created:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2Mi2rrmALKFQzdHX3RvMTJmc0k/view?usp=sharing

I really hope that Onkyo would fix this issue. There is no point for using Android if 3rd party apps sounds worse than any smartphone.

I tested on UAPP, Gonemad player, PowerAmp, etc, all distorted.  Only the Onkyo stock player sounds clean to play the Risset Drum test track.
I created the track using Audacity and edited it in Reaper.

Tested Gonemad for 20 sec on random track with my HD800 ,heard distortion right off so stopped using any 3rd party apps ever since....navigating in stock player sucks bad though

Jan 18, 2016 at 11:19 AM Post #3,762 of 16,326
Tested Gonemad for 20 sec on random track with my HD800 ,heard distortion right off so stopped using any 3rd party apps ever since....navigating in stock player sucks bad though

How suck? I think it is very simple if you tag everything well.

Jan 18, 2016 at 11:32 AM Post #3,763 of 16,326
How suck? I think it is very simple if you tag everything well.

I spent every 4 hours for 3 days to tag everything. It does improve for Album with same artist ;however,  in  the case that I have multiple artist about 2000 songs like that without specific album , I have to put them a folder. I did try to flag them under Album named "Favorite", however, they are still divided into separate "Favorite" album. The only thing i could see them together is when I put  "Favorite" in search, but then I have to back out to choose different ones after done with one song and also It's very hard to see them when there aren't any tittles shown in search but artist and album name...It's really a nuisance to scroll down in album section when each them is divided like that..someone with big offline music collection will feel this is a nightmare...
..there is no ways to make use of the playlist...

Jan 18, 2016 at 11:48 AM Post #3,764 of 16,326
what are peoples opinions on the ACG in balanced mode then? Received my first balanced cable yesterday and now trying various settiings with the digital filter, slow/short etc. The slow setting seems to give a more analogue vibe methinks

Jan 18, 2016 at 11:54 AM Post #3,765 of 16,326
plug and unplug. heard a few other reports of bad connections before. never thought this could happen. have never seen this happen to an audio player before. hope it is just a few early production units and you guys have a solid device.

OMG. The same happened to me a couple days ago. It made me so sad. And I thought I was the only one with this problem. I am sending it back to Japan for repair, but I guess now I am more worried if it is not an isolated case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back