1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by t.r.a.n.c.e., Sep 11, 2015.
First

Back
240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249
251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260
Next

Last
  1. bflat
    2.5mm is to keep you from accidentally plugging your TRRS jack into the TRS plug thereby shorting your amp. Moon Audio offers right angle 2.5mm TRRS jacks on their Silver Dragon cables. Headphone Lounge will make one for you as well.

2. Zenifyx

My use of the word distortion - refers to the noise present in tracks on third party apps that are not present on the actual track.
    With that said, I would like to offer the points below:

- I can observe distortion even at low gain, but it's much more obvious at high gain (hence why I told you to use high gain)
    - My report of the issue has always been about a distortion that is present on third party apps, yet not on the stock music app (and you have repeatedly stated that the problem only lies with DSP-based apps - we shall not delve into this, as per your wishes)
    You attributed the issue to the lack of compatibility of high gain with IEMs, I quote - "Distortion was present because I was causing undue pressure on the delicate balanced armatures."
    This is not fact, but another hypothesis and can actually easily be verified. Simply run the same test track on stock player with the same gain/volume settings.
    If it is indeed because of "undue pressure on armatures", distortion would be present as well on the stock player on similar volume levels.

All in all, glad to see you are enjoying your Heir 4Ai's again!

3. Whitigir
    I am confused...distortions is noises ?

4. Sonic Defender Contributor
    One sound impression I will give at this point is how tactile the bass can be. It can actually be unnerving it is so palatable. I have twice now had to stop working on a paper with the music loud as the bass is so realistic that I can swear there are footsteps behind me (creepy). With material such as Diana Krall which is extremely well recorded and features prominent stringed bass, the Onkyo presents the bass with actual scale and weight. So much so that it fools my brain into feeling the bass all the way down my body.

As I'm sure many if not all of you are aware, for evolutionary reasons we don't like to have our backs exposed to doors or anywhere risks may arise from, particularly if we can't hear at the same time. So as I'm in this position now with my laptop this crazy realistic bass actually triggers this response and those thudding bass hits on the strings can be felt like footsteps around me. Awesome and creepy at the same time. Now that is the definition of tactile bass to me.

davidmolliere likes this.
  5. PoRidge

i think you should reshell it. it could be a much better experience.

6. mokobigbro
    I don't know if this has been discussed. If it has, I apologize. 

Can you guys share on how you keep your DX-P1 while being mobile with it? What kind of pouch are you using?

7. davidmolliere

I think most people will get the only option right now, ONKYO DPA-PUX1 case which is out on the 22nd of january I think.

mokobigbro likes this.
  8. Whitigir
    I wonder if there is any tempered glass screen protector available for this player yet ? Now, according to this ESS Sabres specs, the DAC can fully be accessed by software , and can fully be playing DSD file natively....

http://www.esstech.com/files/8714/4095/2156/SABRE9018C2M_PB_v0.9_141212.pdf

9. davidmolliere

There is a good screen protector some people have installed it, not sure if it's tempered glass...

That's ESS9018C2M, DP-X1 uses ESS9018K2M let's check that one 

Edit : I get why you posted the "wrong" one, the link for the ESS9018K2M points to a ESS9018C2M pdf oO

It was a little burried in the web, but I found a copy of the right datasheet :
    http://html.alldatasheet.com/html-pdf/721831/ESS/ES9018K2M/56/1/ES9018K2M.html

ESS9018K2M_datasheet.pdfpage2sur22016-01-1809-24-56.png

ESS9018K2M_datasheet.pdfpage2sur22016-01-1809-24-37.png

10. Peridot

User earfonia helpfully posted a link to actual recordings of the distortion he was experiencing using a test file - https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2Mi2rrmALKFaXB0cjBCc0FqVXc/view?usp=sharing

While more extensive testing and reporting of exeriences is welcome, it would be very helpful for others to repeat earfonia's test with different system settings / headphones.

11. Zenifyx

There are choices for tempered glass.
    You can get the official one by importing from Japan (either via forwarding services like Tenso or order through PriceJapan)
    If you can read Chinese, there are cheaper options available on Taobao, like this one - http://world.taobao.com/item/525190563573.htm?spm=a312a.7700714.0.0.oroz1w#detail
    If not, you may get the HTC M9 screen protector, which covers most (but not all) of the screen. (I believe @Gaghiel has one pasted on his)

Native DSD wise, I think Onkyo made a conscious decision to not include the capability.
    Bear in mind that native DSD support is not as simple as whether or not the chip supports it, but also requires the audio circuit to be designed around it.
    For e.g, AK240 has an added exclusive XMOS chip that will allow for Native DSD support.

davidmolliere likes this.
  12. Gaghiel
  13. PoRidge

i once had that feeling listening to one of the chesky test tracks, sounds like someone knocking on my door and i actually went to check. hell creepy.

14. PoRidge
    i am thinking of trying a demo unit when it is officially available to see if it is only my unit making hiss.

and i was suggested to record the hissing to see if it is also audible while replaying the recorded file. if i can hear nearly the same hiss on that, i may post that recording for you guys to judge. if the hiss is not heard, then it should be safe for you to purchase the dp-x1 for the hiss will not bother you.

planning to use the sony d100 line in with dsd recording, but that would require me to bring a dp-x1 to a sony store or borrowing a d100. not happening soon.

15. Layman1

sounds like you guys should try watching a horror film using this DAP, and let us know how you get along. All in the spirit of teamwork and research, obviously :wink:

First

Back
240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249
251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260
Next

Last