ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Jan 14, 2016 at 8:03 PM Post #3,436 of 16,326
Point is that Onkyo are being deliberately, and I've used this word before, disruptive to the current market.

Not a DAP but I also think the Chord Mojo has also put a spanner in the works with regards to DAC's and their prices
(British humour 'from the producers of 'DAVE' the £8K DAC') lol

On another note just got my SD3's...BLOOODY HELL...These things are unreal...Id say they beat my Beyerdynamic T5P's easily. Stunning IEMS...

Got to stop myself buying IEM's but these sound interesting. Making do with my Echobox Finder X1's will go nicely with my DP-X! when I get it

Massively enjoying my favourite track by Disclosure with guest singer Kwabs (research him!), Wiling & Able; most incredible SE SQ of this track I have ever heard. It's so crystalline over my AKG K 712's, and has a warmth not too far of my KEF Audio M500...

Another suggestion for me to try on my current 90 day Tidal trial

Quote:
  Spin Fits work better for me

Where did you purchase these from only seen them online from the US or Japan?

Er...Comply? FitEar?

Next time I'm looking at earphones, it's a CIEM job...

Not quite CIEM's but I have a set of Snugs tips for my SE535's (well full ear tips) on order, been a week since my 3D impression was taken.
These will let me know how CIEM and I get on before I consider that optionNob

Jan 14, 2016 at 8:48 PM Post #3,438 of 16,326
Sony recently released a turn-table that convert vinyls into DSD by a press of a button....
biggrin.gif
So, I am looking to possibly purchase it and have my stuff converted....be that I will have to buy vinyl albums all over again
biggrin.gif

That would be a complete waste wouldn't it? It could never sound better than the vinyl, that is impossible. Just another gimmick I think to sell stuff.

Jan 14, 2016 at 9:02 PM Post #3,439 of 16,326
Quick question: When connect DP-X1 to PC, is there any method to edit tag of the songs on SD card? All I can do is add / delete song from folder but can't edit tag on any track. Have to unmounted SD card and connect it to PC directly.

Jan 14, 2016 at 9:29 PM Post #3,440 of 16,326
  That would be a complete waste wouldn't it? It could never sound better than the vinyl, that is impossible. Just another gimmick I think to sell stuff.

Unless you've got one of those jumbo Portable Record players from the early 70's I don't know of a way to take successfully listen to vinyl on a commuter train.  DSD's intention was too more accurately reproduce an analogue wave-form by increasing the sampling rate significantly over that of other digital audio paradigms.  I am a full believer that while we cannot truly identify frequencies much beyond 20ish kHz that some perception is still achieved.  In the same vain that we do not truly hear much below 20ish Hz.  The notes are more felt than "heard."   Not looking to start another high-res debate but the concept of vinyl to DSD processing does have its niche.

Jan 14, 2016 at 9:29 PM Post #3,441 of 16,326
Anyone experiences hiss or cracking as I do when using third party apps such as TIDAL and Spotify? I tried all kinds of settings but they are still there. Unlike the default player, which produces no hisses, these third party apps do not seem to be able to utilise the DAC/AMP well enough as the default player. 

Jan 14, 2016 at 9:30 PM Post #3,442 of 16,326
Quick question: When connect DP-X1 to PC, is there any method to edit tag of the songs on SD card? All I can do is add / delete song from folder but can't edit tag on any track. Have to unmounted SD card and connect it to PC directly.

You need to unmount the sd card and use a card reader. Or better download the id3 tagger for android and cover art downloader app

Jan 14, 2016 at 9:33 PM Post #3,443 of 16,326
  Unless you've got one of those jumbo Portable Record players from the early 70's I don't know of a way to take successfully listen to vinyl on a commuter train.  DSD's intention was too more accurately reproduce an analogue wave-form by increasing the sampling rate significantly over that of other digital audio paradigms.  I am a full believer that while we cannot truly identify frequencies much beyond 20ish kHz that some perception is still achieved.  In the same vain that we do not truly hear much below 20ish Hz.  The notes are more felt than "heard."   Not looking to start another high-res debate but the concept of vinyl to DSD processing does have its niche.

There are already ways to take vinyl and put it into digital to make it more convenient. Are they now seriously trying to convince people that you can take a pressed vinyl, convert it to DSD and hope to leverage the "purported" but unproven advantage of DSD? Simply the fact that any device that spins a record which is almost guaranteed to be imperfect in terms of flatness (not even considering slight imperfections in the transport device) will nullify any possible advantage. I could be wrong, but this seems like the worst kind of hype.

Jan 14, 2016 at 9:33 PM Post #3,444 of 16,326
You need to unmount the sd card and use a card reader. Or better download the id3 tagger for android and cover art downloader app

Thank! Will try id3 tagger and see how it work :)

Jan 14, 2016 at 9:37 PM Post #3,445 of 16,326

There are already ways to take vinyl and put it into digital to make it more convenient. Are they now seriously trying to convince people that you can take a pressed vinyl, convert it to DSD and hope to leverage the "purported" but unproven advantage of DSD?

There is no proven disadvantage either, otherwise Sony's master tapes wouldn't be alsmost exclusively DSD for the last decade or so.  I myself have not jumped this train but I can completely understand why someone archiving their vinyl digitally would choose DSD for a high quality copy of what they have with an extended frequency response capability. 

Jan 14, 2016 at 9:40 PM Post #3,446 of 16,326
^ Will there actually be a capture of an audible frequency range that can't currently be captured without DSD? I think Sony works right from masters taken from the studio which is quite different from a commercial vinyl pressing. Anyway, we should stop before a mod comes in and slaps us down for going off topic, plus I'm sure others don't really care to read these posts. My apology.

Jan 14, 2016 at 9:50 PM Post #3,447 of 16,326
  ^ Will there actually be a capture of an audible frequency range that can't currently be captured without DSD? I think Sony works right from masters taken from the studio which is quite different from a commercial vinyl pressing. Anyway, we should stop before a mod comes in and slaps us down for going off topic, plus I'm sure others don't really care to read these posts. My apology.

Higher end Phono Preamps with nice ADC's can output something similar though a lot of "reasonable" phone preamps or TT's with USB out can only handle 16bit/44.1kHz (Redbook Standard) which is limited to 20Hz-20kHz firm.   This is the beautiful thing about modern DAP's including the Onkyo/Pioneer offerings, they can handle high res formats for those that care and still take care of traditional file handling for the masses.   I really don't see the lack of native DSD in the DP-X1 as an issue.  I've owned DVD-A/SACD players of both varieties (native and PCM converting systems) and have never been able to discern a difference when properly handled.

Jan 14, 2016 at 10:50 PM Post #3,449 of 16,326

Let me see if I can elucidate what you were trying to say.

I could be wrong, but I think that Sonic Defender meant that you can't make a recording sound better than the original no matter the spec of the recording media/format. The original is the standard and, without re-mastering, it will never improve. Of course, if the original was remastered, it would no longer be the original. So, recording a vinyl to DSD has an absolute performance ceiling of the vinyl record it is recording, which is fully saturated by other hi and low res digital formats. Now, if you want (or believe in) the feels, hi-def it for sure. But know that you can't surpass the original. It is impossible. 

Jan 14, 2016 at 11:05 PM Post #3,450 of 16,326
  Let me see if I can elucidate what you were trying to say.

I could be wrong, but I think that Sonic Defender meant that you can't make a recording sound better than the original no matter the spec of the recording media/format. The original is the standard and, without re-mastering, it will never improve. Of course, if the original was remastered, it would no longer be the original. So, recording a vinyl to DSD has an absolute performance ceiling of the vinyl record it is recording, which is fully saturated by other hi and low res digital formats. Now, if you want (or believe in) the feels, hi-def it for sure. But know that you can't surpass the original. It is impossible. 

No, you nailed it, I was just too lazy to do as good a job as you did! Thanks for lending a brother a hand. What he said.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back