1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by t.r.a.n.c.e., Sep 11, 2015.
First

Back
219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228
230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239
Next

Last
  1. TheOneInYellow

Well, I can power my AKG K 712 headphones via Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge Plus but it's super duper HORRID. Absolutely awful.

I mentioned earlier in the thread that my CEntrance HiFi-M8 is capable of powering my headphones beautifully with special attention to speed of transients, tracking and grip.
    However I believe the iFi Audio Retro Stereo 50 IS the best amp for the K 712 with amazing resolving power, esp with harmonics alone.

So, the fact that the DP-X1 combines the best elements of each (speed and resolving power, iFi Retro Stereo 50 still wins on harmonics) and introduces a single coherent voice to music, something the other amps cannot do, speaks volumes on the authority the DP-X1 has.

Peter from Double Helix Cables has mentioned that the DP-X1 is not too far off the SQ of his Schiit Audio Yggdrasil and Ragnarok stack with balanced HiFiman HE1000 headphones (confirmed some moments ago with him on FB Messenger his stack).

The DP-X1 has crazy implementation...this is nuts...

davidmolliere likes this.
  2. TheOneInYellow
    What is up with double posting GARGH!

...sorry

Found something to post!

I LOVE Onkyo US marketing BAHAHAHAHA!

DP-X1-INTRO.jpg

Strike through pricey JOKE!

3. heliuscc

I have a full set of Westone star tips I've just found unused in my drawer

4. Whitigir

That is a slap in the face on AK rip-off roflmao...

5. davidmolliere

Yeah I have seen this earlier in the thread, the target is clear, the fact the 2.5 balanced supports the AK standard is obviously aimed at them.
    I like that they approach the market with a bang, if they succeed the prices will have to drop even from AK down the line.

6. badwisdom
    Hope Onkyo are thinking of a Copper version of the DP-X1.... or maybe a full solid silver one, you know, for better conductivity and sound.

7. Whitigir

ROFLMAO, you mean on the circuitry conducted joins and materials ? It won't happen....hell, that is because silver melting point is very high....1763 F....that means it ruins everything on everything

8. masterpfa
    I'm quite a way behind in my reading of this thread so apologies (currently on page 215 of 229)

Here is my 'NON' developer take on your observation above and I am sure a dev can put me straight on this.

In my old days of rooting my Android phones and mocking Phone ID's so that a certain app would work on a phone is wasn't designed for, ROM devs would change or alter the build prop to achieve this.
    I do hope with reference to this line in particular

"The only time when an internal DAC of an Android OS is not used is if the app in question bypasses it deliberately (aka Neutron)"

Would also mean an exception could be written into the code to use the Internal DAC if the app is detected to have been installed on a DP-X1 or XDP-100R
    ​Or am I over simplifying things?

9. masterpfa
    Hence why I have fallen behind here a heck of a lot of activity on this thread.. Most of us on the Mojo thread have had all the questions answered and opinions expressed, with only a trickle of new owners generating activity.

EDIT: page 217.....

I'll get to your impressions soon, I'm sure I will,  [​IMG]   @TheOneInYellow

10. masterpfa
    Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
    [​IMG]

That's what I said

Fingers crossed it's a misprint

Jealous?
    who me?

[​IMG]

11. scootermafia
    I know it sounds like the hypetrain pulling into the station, but listening last night with HEK the lines got blurred plenty of times just because the DPX1 was so enjoyable and driving the HEKs with so much authority, vs. Rag/Ygg.  You have to really strain to pick up the benefits of the full size setup, they're there obviously, but it's not as stark as it is with other portable setups and stacks.  And I don't find them particularly easy to drive.  I was comparing with AK120 II the whole time, which sound nice and clean but not quite as explosive as the DPX1.  Also, $1700 lol.

12. Whitigir
    Uhmm why do you compare it to ak120 ? We want to see ak380 in both TRRS for competition :D

13. scootermafia
    That's just what I have on hand.  While I have little respect for money, even I swerved on the 380.  I only use the AK120 to test cables and I don't listen much outside of the house or on the go, I really just have portable gear for fun.  I'm sure the 380 compares very favorably to it, but it's nearly 6 times the price.

One more thing, the AK120 II is the top A&K without native DSD.  So since the DPX1 does not have native DSD either, it's a fair comparison, for testing DSD.

14. Whitigir
    Oh my...I thought dpx1 does DSD natively ....sigh....why only fiio and questyle does so ? I may just get questyle then lol

15. Sonic Defender Contributor
    ^ Why even worry? How much material do you own that is DSD? Even if there is a sound advantage, are you going to repurchase your collection as it becomes available (if it comes available)? Just curious what you think.

First

Back
219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228
230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239
Next

Last