ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Dec 19, 2015 at 11:13 PM Post #2,266 of 16,326
After spending a few hours with the DP-X1 here are my observations. Even though I wrote a lot, this is NOT a review. (lol)

Note: This is my first DAP in more than 5 years. The last DAP I used was the Zune HD 16 GB and iPod 5G. In the past few years, I've been using Android phones and currently an iPhone 6 Plus connected to the iFi micro iDSD DAC/amp as my music player, and yes I get strange looks quite often.

Headphones used: Audeze LCD-XC, CustomArt Ei.XX, single-ended plugs (I don't have balanced plugs and cables for my headphones at this time).
SDXC cards used: 2 x 200GB, Class 10 micro SDXC cards from SanDisk

Audio quality:
(1) In a word: superb. It has great instrument separation and clarity with the default Onkyo player. The sound stage doesn't seem wide to me, but then again, I primarily use a closed-back headphone and an IEM. I'd say that the DP-X1 is more or less have a flat response, and that's fine by me. To me it's on par with the iPhone 6 Plus connected to the iFi micro iDSD portable DAC/amp.
(2) As for third-party player apps, my verdict is still out. I tried GoneMad, Neutron, Google Music, and even Onkyo's HF Player (the one available in Google Play and Apple Appstore), I'm having trouble discerning any difference. I'm not a super critical listener, but if I find a difference I would have noted it. I've only tried a handful of pop and rock songs, and they all sound alright to me. I'll try jazz, classical and any acoustic songs I own to test further. I will try all of these apps in extended periods in the next few weeks. But for the most part I'm satisfied with Onkyo's default player, just for its looks. (What can I say, I'm shallow. lol)

Hardware and build quality:
(1) On the surface it feels solid and hefty in the hand, a bit sharp around the edges, but it's small and comfortable enough in comparison with the iPhone 6 and other 4+ inch Android devices I'm used to.
(2) But upon closer inspection, there are a couple of imperfections. The balanced output jack is not perfectly aligned; it looks a bit skewed but I don't think it will lower audio quality. And the glass screen is not flushed to the aluminum body, which I'm afraid dust and lint will get in and eventually go under the glass. I will have to be very careful on where to place in my jacket or pants pocket.
(3) The touchscreen is as responsive as the Sony NW-ZX2, perhaps a bit more accurate with the help of its larger screen and near latest Android firmware, Lollipop.
(4) The DP-X1 read 2 of my 200GB micro SDXC cards without any issue and surprisingly very quick. It only took about 4-5 minutes to read nearly 400GB worth of music and that's very impressive. Way way faster than any Android phone that I've used in the past.

Software:
(1) As mentioned by others, the Onkyo default player does not have the ability to sort by album artist and does not have a file directory manager. Personally, not having a file directory manager is not a deal breaker since I'm used to Apple's and Android's default music apps. However, not having the option to sort by album artist is very annoying. I hope Onkyo would add both options in the very near future.
(2) The Onkyo player does look cool, but it is a bit unwieldy with navigation. When you open the app, whether for the first time or from a reboot, it starts from the artist list view. When you select a song, it then goes to the player itself. If you need to go back to the list view, you press the Android back button. But if you want to return to the player, you press the small album art on the top left of the screen. It's awkward and difficult to navigate with one hand and it will give your thumb some stretching exercises.
(3) Despite these negatives, the Onkyo player is snappier than I expected from an Android app. Maybe it's a testament to how good the Android Lollipop firmware is in contrast to older Kit-Kat and ICS firmware in other DAPs. Android on the DP-X1 is smoother than my HTC One M8, but then again, practically all Google services apps are disabled and only the Wi-Fi is turned on occasionally.

Anyway, I'll add more if I find anything worth noting. Hope this is somewhat helpful!

Dec 20, 2015 at 12:10 AM Post #2,267 of 16,326
After spending a few hours with the DP-X1 here are my observations. Even though I wrote a lot, this is NOT a review. (lol)

Note: This is my first DAP in more than 5 years. The last DAP I used was the Zune HD 16 GB and iPod 5G. In the past few years, I've been using Android phones and currently an iPhone 6 Plus connected to the iFi micro iDSD DAC/amp as my music player, and yes I get strange looks quite often.

Headphones used: Audeze LCD-XC, CustomArt Ei.XX, single-ended plugs (I don't have balanced plugs and cables for my headphones at this time).

SDXC cards used: 2 x 200GB, Class 10 micro SDXC cards from SanDisk

Audio quality:

(1) In a word: superb. It has great instrument separation and clarity with the default Onkyo player. The sound stage doesn't seem wide to me, but then again, I primarily use a closed-back headphone and an IEM. I'd say that the DP-X1 is more or less have a flat response, and that's fine by me. To me it's on par with the iPhone 6 Plus connected to the iFi micro iDSD portable DAC/amp.

(2) As for third-party player apps, my verdict is still out. I tried GoneMad, Neutron, Google Music, and even Onkyo's HF Player (the one available in Google Play and Apple Appstore), I'm having trouble discerning any difference. I'm not a super critical listener, but if I find a difference I would have noted it. I've only tried a handful of pop and rock songs, and they all sound alright to me. I'll try jazz, classical and any acoustic songs I own to test further. I will try all of these apps in extended periods in the next few weeks. But for the most part I'm satisfied with Onkyo's default player, just for its looks. (What can I say, I'm shallow. lol)

Hardware and build quality:

(1) On the surface it feels solid and hefty in the hand, a bit sharp around the edges, but it's small and comfortable enough in comparison with the iPhone 6 and other 4+ inch Android devices I'm used to.

(2) But upon closer inspection, there are a couple of imperfections. The balanced output jack is not perfectly aligned; it looks a bit skewed but I don't think it will lower audio quality. And the glass screen is not flushed to the aluminum body, which I'm afraid dust and lint will get in and eventually go under the glass. I will have to be very careful on where to place in my jacket or pants pocket.

(3) The touchscreen is as responsive as the Sony NW-ZX2, perhaps a bit more accurate with the help of its larger screen and near latest Android firmware, Lollipop.

(4) The DP-X1 read 2 of my 200GB micro SDXC cards without any issue and surprisingly very quick. It only took about 4-5 minutes to read nearly 400GB worth of music and that's very impressive. Way way faster than any Android phone that I've used in the past.

Software:

(1) As mentioned by others, the Onkyo default player does not have the ability to sort by album artist and does not have a file directory manager. Personally, not having a file directory manager is not a deal breaker since I'm used to Apple's and Android's default music apps. However, not having the option to sort by album artist is very annoying. I hope Onkyo would add both options in the very near future.

(2) The Onkyo player does look cool, but it is a bit unwieldy with navigation. When you open the app, whether for the first time or from a reboot, it starts from the artist list view. When you select a song, it then goes to the player itself. If you need to go back to the list view, you press the Android back button. But if you want to return to the player, you press the small album art on the top left of the screen. It's awkward and difficult to navigate with one hand and it will give your thumb some stretching exercises.

(3) Despite these negatives, the Onkyo player is snappier than I expected from an Android app. Maybe it's a testament to how good the Android Lollipop firmware is in contrast to older Kit-Kat and ICS firmware in other DAPs. Android on the DP-X1 is smoother than my HTC One M8, but then again, practically all Google services apps are disabled and only the Wi-Fi is turned on occasionally.

Anyway, I'll add more if I find anything worth noting. Hope this is somewhat helpful!

Can you please try Tidal or Spotify and tell us of if you notice any difference, I am wondering if they could utilize the hardware.

And thanks for the initial impression.

Dec 20, 2015 at 12:26 AM Post #2,268 of 16,326
Can you please try Tidal or Spotify and tell us of if you notice any difference, I am wondering if they could utilize the hardware.

And thanks for the initial impression.

Tidal works very well on the DP-X1. SQ is good.

Dec 20, 2015 at 12:38 AM Post #2,269 of 16,326
Dec 20, 2015 at 9:41 AM Post #2,278 of 16,326
does the dp x1 have the same line out like ak100ii, as i am selling my ak100ii and i want to connect the new dap to the mojo

is it the same cable optical cable that is used by the ak100ii line out as the dp-x1

Dec 20, 2015 at 9:47 AM Post #2,279 of 16,326
I don't know what my friend did, he ordered from a forwarder in my country around 2 weeks ago and he already got his DP-X1. Man the distribution is a mess huh?

512gb pny sd card 

Oh man, can't wait till someone fit all of his DSD collection into this DAP.

Dec 20, 2015 at 10:12 AM Post #2,280 of 16,326
To my fellow DP-X1 owners, do you guys know how to take a screenshot? Normally on Android, you hold the power and volume down buttons simultaneously. Obviously, there is no volume down button on the DP-X1. Any ideas how to take a screenshot? Preferably without downloading a separate app.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back