ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Nov 29, 2019 at 4:00 PM Post #16,156 of 16,326
So I uninstalled the Onkyo Music app from my 300R after their service went offline... and it took my purchased music with it. No chance for recovery at all. Onkyo Music homepage already offline, no contact form whatsoever. Be advised to back up your purchased music before uninstalling the app. I'm done with this company.

Nov 29, 2019 at 11:17 PM Post #16,157 of 16,326
Well, something odd happened today on my rooted DP-X1.
While at lunch, I checked and saw that there were 6 updates from the Play Store (UAPP, Spotify, and some others) available - so instead of immediately listening to Spotify, I clicked on Update.
The update started, and then the screen timed out, and went off.
I logged back in, and saw that UAPP had finished downloading and was installing.
Then, the next app (not sure which one, but it wasn't Spotify - that was further down the list) started downloading / installing.
Less than a minute later, I noticed my DP-X1 was rebooting, and ended up in a boot-loop (shows the initial Android screen, and then the boot animation - over & over).
I long-pressed power to shut it down, and then booted into TWRP.
In TWRP, I cleared the Dalvik / Art Cache, and Cache.
Still boot-looping.
I'm busy this week, scanning slides, negatives, and photos for a family reunion - so I won't be able to do any troubleshooting until next week.
Do you have any suggestions for logs to check, that might indicate what is causing the boot problem?
Or, can you suggest System files than might need to be edited / replaced while I'm in TWRP, that could allow it to boot normally?
Thanks!

Finally got around to checking my DP-X1.
Ended up having to use ADB and transfer "Onkyo_v1.28_update.zip" from my PC to the DAP, so that I could use TWRP to reinstall it, and "UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.78-20160905010000.zip".
After that, the DP-X1 booted all the way up.
But - when apps started updating from the Play Store, it started boot-looping again.
Still not sure which one caused the problem.
Went back into TWRP and reinstalled things.
Before updating apps in the Play Store, went into Xposed Framework and deleted the modules that patch SoundCloud, Spotify, and YouTube (since they were some of the apps being updated).
Then, I was able to update all of the apps, without causing boot-loops.
Now, my DP-X1 is working again.

Nov 30, 2019 at 9:36 AM Post #16,158 of 16,326
Finally got around to checking my DP-X1.
Ended up having to use ADB and transfer "Onkyo_v1.28_update.zip" from my PC to the DAP, so that I could use TWRP to reinstall it, and "UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.78-20160905010000.zip".
After that, the DP-X1 booted all the way up.
But - when apps started updating from the Play Store, it started boot-looping again.
Still not sure which one caused the problem.
Went back into TWRP and reinstalled things.
Before updating apps in the Play Store, went into Xposed Framework and deleted the modules that patch SoundCloud, Spotify, and YouTube (since they were some of the apps being updated).
Then, I was able to update all of the apps, without causing boot-loops.
Now, my DP-X1 is working again.

Mine was updated about a year ago. I do not use the android side of it... do not need any of the apps. Should I just leave it alone and not update anything? Would I even have anything that needs to update given my use of it?

Nov 30, 2019 at 2:30 PM Post #16,159 of 16,326
Mine was updated about a year ago. I do not use the android side of it... do not need any of the apps. Should I just leave it alone and not update anything? Would I even have anything that needs to update given my use of it?

The issue I had, was due to my DP-X1 being rooted, and my having installed some Xposed Framework modules that patch apps that were apparently being updated.
If your DP-X1 isn't rooted, and isn't running Xposed Framework modules, then you shouldn't have problems with updating regular apps from the Play Store.

Dec 16, 2019 at 4:04 AM Post #16,160 of 16,326
Okay, so late joiner to the DP-X1 party here. I've searched this thread, but I couldn't find any deep info on the SQ difference between different apps (apart from the discussion on the coding of the app in order to use the balanced architecture).
Does anybody here notice a big SQ difference between UAPP and Tidal? I think it's rather big, which I think is strange. the only thing I could imagine is that Tidal still uses the Android audio stack and UAPP sends directly to the DAC without going through the Android audio stack.

Anybody have any ideas on this?

Dec 16, 2019 at 5:59 PM Post #16,161 of 16,326
Okay, so late joiner to the DP-X1 party here. I've searched this thread, but I couldn't find any deep info on the SQ difference between different apps (apart from the discussion on the coding of the app in order to use the balanced architecture).
Does anybody here notice a big SQ difference between UAPP and Tidal? I think it's rather big, which I think is strange. the only thing I could imagine is that Tidal still uses the Android audio stack and UAPP sends directly to the DAC without going through the Android audio stack.

Anybody have any ideas on this?
I believe Tidal along with most apps on DP-X1 use default Android 16/44.1 with the exception that I know of being UAPP.

Although having said this not too sure now considering the Tidal app also plays MQA files

Dec 16, 2019 at 9:40 PM Post #16,162 of 16,326
If you search on the UAPP thread, you'll see where support was added last year, for Tidal HiRes and MQA on the DP-X1.
However, Tidal only allows their Tidal app to do offline playing (this is probably to keep their encryption key(s) from being released into the wild).

Dec 17, 2019 at 10:48 AM Post #16,163 of 16,326
Has anyone sourced replacement batteries for the DP-X1?
US $17.20 7%OFF | New Battery for ONKYO DP-X1 Player Li-Po Polymer Rechargeable Accumulator Pack Replacement 3.7V 1800mAh 5 Lines+Plug Track Code
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/5NT3x3TK

I bought this dap, 2nd hand, more than a year ago. Everything was smooth except for the crazy battery level which went up and down. It had the habit of staying at 50% level before it would suddenly shut off. I have tried resetting the dap but nothing changed. Just about an hour ago, while using it after much inactivity for quite a while (ofcourse the battery level at 50% again), it suddenly turned off and did not turn on even charge. So I guess this is it and there is not much to lose. I searched google for battery repairs but there is no info. I stumbled upon this asian speaking youtube video in which they opened the dap by pulling off the screen. Checked Aliexpress and found a battery replacement. All I have to do is to look for a guy who can do the task. Wish me luck. I am open to suggestions you guys may have.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2020 at 9:54 AM Post #16,164 of 16,326
I've been using Tidal on DP-X1A for a while and it's been bugging me a lot because of the hiss background noise. Initially thought it was just a conflict between the app and the DAP but I just figured out how to solve it. I changed the gain level from "normal" to "low 2". The hiss disappeared. It's gone. It's so weird that even at the normal gain level, Tidal produces so much hiss. Now I can finally enjoy the app.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2020 at 12:52 PM Post #16,165 of 16,326
I've been using Tidal on DP-X1A for a while and it's been bugging me a lot because of the hiss background noise. Initially thought it was just a conflict between the app and the DAP but I just figured out how to solve it. I changed the gain level from "normal" to "low 2". The hiss disappeared. It's gone. It's so weird that even at the normal gain level, Tidal produces so much hiss. Now I can finally enjoy the app.
Buy the USB Audio Player app, its worth the improvement in sound. Unfortunatefy, the Tidal app uses the Android system rather sending bit perfect files to the onboard DAC. Also, unfortunately Tidal does not allow the USB Audio Player app to download music, so you have to stream instead.

But all things considered, USB Audio Player makes a huge difference. I got it a year ago and haven’t looked back.
https://www.extreamsd.com/index.php/products/usb-audio-player-pro

Feb 14, 2020 at 9:36 AM Post #16,166 of 16,326
Buy the USB Audio Player app, its worth the improvement in sound. Unfortunatefy, the Tidal app uses the Android system rather sending bit perfect files to the onboard DAC. Also, unfortunately Tidal does not allow the USB Audio Player app to download music, so you have to stream instead.

But all things considered, USB Audio Player makes a huge difference. I got it a year ago and haven’t looked back.
https://www.extreamsd.com/index.php/products/usb-audio-player-pro
If I only stream Hifi format (because most of the tracks I listen to in Tidal are in Hifi format), would it be different in terms of sound quality between Tidal app and UAPP?

Feb 14, 2020 at 12:05 PM Post #16,167 of 16,326
Yes, no matter what you play, it will be better. Using the onboard DAC via UAPP bitstream (ie the info goes directly to the DAC) vs the Android resampling makes a huge difference to me. Let me know...

Feb 14, 2020 at 12:17 PM Post #16,168 of 16,326
Yes, no matter what you play, it will be better. Using the onboard DAC via UAPP bitstream (ie the info goes directly to the DAC) vs the Android resampling makes a huge difference to me. Let me know...
I will. Give me a few days

Feb 15, 2020 at 11:26 PM Post #16,169 of 16,326
Just purchased the app from GG Play Store. The first seconds were just wow, totally blew my mind. Thank you so much for your recommendation. Really worth every penny.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back