ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Jul 10, 2019 at 4:22 PM Post #16,126 of 16,326
Evening All

Hoping for some help - I'm absolutely stuck trying to get music onto my DP X1A, no idea what the issue is. X-Dap is working fine on my laptop, but the player isn't showing. Complete tech amateur, so I suspect something basic and embarrassing is the issue. I've stuck a few hundred Gb on before, not done it in a while and no idea what's up. Can anyone help? Is there a setting on the player I'm missing for example?

TIA

Jul 10, 2019 at 5:42 PM Post #16,128 of 16,326
Evening All

Hoping for some help - I'm absolutely stuck trying to get music onto my DP X1A, no idea what the issue is. X-Dap is working fine on my laptop, but the player isn't showing. Complete tech amateur, so I suspect something basic and embarrassing is the issue. I've stuck a few hundred Gb on before, not done it in a while and no idea what's up. Can anyone help? Is there a setting on the player I'm missing for example?

TIA

This happened to me for about the first year that I had the player. I was updating drivers and trying all sorts of things.

Eventually a Windows 10 update finally fixed the problem. Make sure you're all updated.

I had to do silly workarounds to get music on the player, like loading TeamViewer onto the device and transferring files via wifi.

I also bought a little USB to Micro SD adapter so I could dump files onto the micro SD cards with my computer, and then put the cards in the device.

It was a massive pain, but I like everything else about the player, so I stuck with it. I was pretty happy when Windows finally fixed the issue.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2019 at 7:50 PM Post #16,129 of 16,326
Evening All

TIA

I've shared the music folder(s) on my PC, and use a file browser on the DP-X1 with the WiFi connection, to copy & paste files.

Jul 12, 2019 at 2:13 AM Post #16,130 of 16,326
Go into "device manager" on your laptop and look for any device with the yellow exclamation mark next to it. Update the driver for any you find. Also (and I cannot be more specific because I no longer have access to Windows) but I recall having a similar problem and right clicking on the DP-X1 gave me options to "connect as" or something like that, swapping from one option to the other solved the issue for me.

Jul 12, 2019 at 3:41 AM Post #16,131 of 16,326
Make sure you have a DATA usb cable and not a "Charging" USB cable?!?

Thanks all for responses, very helpful - the first one was the correct one, it was that simple. Told you i was an amateur, I had no idea that all USB cables are not alike.....

Ended up avoiding X-Dap once I'd done the main load, and just c&p'd files straight in. Is there an issue with this, and if not, why ever bother with X-Dap? Can anyone enlighten me?

Cheers

Jul 12, 2019 at 4:32 AM Post #16,132 of 16,326
Ended up avoiding X-Dap once I'd done the main load, and just c&p'd files straight in. Is there an issue with this, and if not, why ever bother with X-Dap? Can anyone enlighten me?

I have filled two 256 GB cards without ever using X-Dap. I don't even know what it does or why it exists :) When the cards were new I just filled (leaving some room on each) them using a usb card reader on my PC. Copy and paste. I have the first half of the alphabet on one and the second half on the other. Now I just connect the dap directly to the PC with a good USB (data) cable to add more albums.

Jul 12, 2019 at 6:15 PM Post #16,133 of 16,326
Thanks all for responses, very helpful - the first one was the correct one, it was that simple. Told you i was an amateur, I had no idea that all USB cables are not alike.....

Cheers

Never used X-dap, I took one look at it and thought, "why would I add one extra step to copying my music?"

Jul 12, 2019 at 6:16 PM Post #16,134 of 16,326
Never used X-dap, I took one look at it and thought, "why would I add one extra step to copying my music?"

I didn't even look at it lol. I forgot it existed until someone mentioned it.

Jul 26, 2019 at 1:18 AM Post #16,137 of 16,326
What is the most similar player to this that is still in production? The Pioneer XDP-300R?

I just bought the Hiby R3, but I'm disappointed in the sound quality. I guess I might have to stick with something big to drive my headphones in a way that sounds good.

- I'd want something with the ability to save multiple custom EQs.
- I love the screen size and screen quality, so something similar.

edit: my DP-X1A is still technically working, but the charging port is dying more every day, so I'm concerned that one day it won't charge at all, unless I can find somebody to fix it.

Jul 26, 2019 at 3:18 PM Post #16,138 of 16,326
What is the most similar player to this that is still in production? The Pioneer XDP-300R?

I just bought the Hiby R3, but I'm disappointed in the sound quality. I guess I might have to stick with something big to drive my headphones in a way that sounds good.

- I'd want something with the ability to save multiple custom EQs.
- I love the screen size and screen quality, so something similar.

edit: my DP-X1A is still technically working, but the charging port is dying more every day, so I'm concerned that one day it won't charge at all, unless I can find somebody to fix it.

The DP-X1A I believe is the direct replacement (Someone correct me if I'm wrong) and I believe the Pioneer 300(?).

After my 2-year-old DP-X1 took a CR*P and destroyed itself by cracking the mainboard from a swollen battery, I was looking for a replacement with the same or similar sound signature.

I went through a lot of different players and eventually ended up getting a like-new A&K SR15 here for @$450. it has been a great experience thus far. It's smaller, the build quality is superb and it has some features that the DP-X1 did not, (one being showing lyrics I believe.

I wouldn't/will not ever go back to an ONKYO product after the debacle I had.

YMMV

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2019 at 11:48 PM Post #16,139 of 16,326
QC issues aside, has anyone found a TIDAL offline capable DAP that’s clearly superior?

ACG balanced + max lock range + Airplane Mode + Short filter + Low Gain 2 is insanely clear.

I’ve tried the M11 which I find the details superior and the SR15 which has excellent dynamics but I’m not sure about the battery. XDP300R with everything removed but TIDAL is a battery monster.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back