Onkyo DP-S1 Rubato / Pioneer XDP-30R Private
Apr 4, 2018 at 8:27 AM Post #1,082 of 1,608
Does anyone here use the Pioneer/Onkyo with sensitive IEMs e.g. campfire Andromeda, Shure SE846, Sony XBA4 or CIEMs?

Wondering if there is much hiss and if the >1ohm output impedance works alright for your IEMs? I am dividing the recommended minimum impedance of 16÷8=2ohms

Also lastly a technical question. Both DACs still drive the unbalanced output, or only one DAC chip?

Thank you!
I tried it with ce6p i can hear zzzeek zeek sound haha. I tried it at zeppelin sim lim

Apr 4, 2018 at 8:52 AM Post #1,083 of 1,608
In case anyone is interested, this is the reply I got from Pioneer re the open source software mentioned on their site:

we kindly thank you for your interest.

We regret to inform that contrary to the information on the website the XDP-30R firmware does not contain any open source software which has been licensed under GPL or LGPL. By consequence we are not able to offer a machine-readable copy of the source code.

I got a revised reply yesterday:

Dear Mr. Dempsey,

I would like to correct our earlier statement.

Following further investigation the XDP-30R firmware has been confirmed to contain open source software licensed under GPL/LGPL.

The open source code files can be downloaded via following link:
XDP-30R(1) - 1.72 GB - https://we.tl/tYzcFa70LI
XDP-30R(2) - 361 MB - https://we.tl/3SioYsZWeX

Please note that the transfer link is only valid for 7 days.
If need be, the related files can be re-uploaded again.

Kind regards,
Danny

XDP-30R(1)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
package-20180329.tar.gz (open source packages)

XDP-30R(2)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
linux-4.1-20180329.tar.gz (linux kernel source code)
uboot-20180329.tar.gz (u-boot source code)
x86_64-toolchain-20180329.tar.gz (linux x86_64 toolchain)

I haven't downloaded them yet to have a look, but I don't know if there will be anything relevant, since they only need to provide the open source portion of their code.

Apr 4, 2018 at 11:39 AM Post #1,086 of 1,608
Unlikely. But there's no way of truly knowing without: A. Asking Onkyo/Pioneer B. Looking at the firmware C. Tearing it down and testing with an oscilloscope.

Thanks! Do you know whether only using dual DACs for balanced not unbalanced is the 'default' design for other brands too?

I'm mainly using the 3.5mm unbalanced so I'm wondering if I'm carrying additional hardware I don't use >>> that may swing my choice back to the single DAC Hiby R3.

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2018 at 12:25 PM Post #1,087 of 1,608
Unlikely. But there's no way of truly knowing without: A. Asking Onkyo/Pioneer B. Looking at the firmware C. Tearing it down and testing with an oscilloscope.

I'm going to disagree with this. I think most Dual Chip DAC's use a single DAC for each channel, and the DAC circuitry would be ahead of the amplification, where options to use either Balanced or unbalanced would exist. Also most DAC chips output a balanced signal by default and require more circuitry (at least one opamp usually) to sum plus and minus signals for each channel.

Apr 4, 2018 at 12:32 PM Post #1,088 of 1,608
I'm going to disagree with this. I think most Dual Chip DAC's use a single DAC for each channel, and the DAC circuitry would be ahead of the amplification, where options to use either Balanced or unbalanced would exist. Also most DAC chips output a balanced signal by default and require more circuitry (at least one opamp usually) to sum plus and minus signals for each channel.
You could be right. But it’s merely speculation. We could e-mail the Onkyo/Pioneer Group and find out perhaps?

Apr 4, 2018 at 12:53 PM Post #1,089 of 1,608
You could be right. But it’s merely speculation. We could e-mail the Onkyo/Pioneer Group and find out perhaps?

Ok, we can agree to disagree, but I still think they would be shooting themselves in the foot by only having the benefit of dual DAC's for Balanced operation. There is no indication on the Data sheet http://www.pioneer-audiovisual.eu/sites/default/files/datasheets/english/XDP-30R.pdf either way, but typically THD and noise measurements are better for Dual configurations, and there is only one set of measurements. Also, what would really be the point? Balanced and Unbalanced mode is strictly an issue in the output circuitry, since the DAC's themselves output Balanced signals.

Apr 4, 2018 at 3:47 PM Post #1,090 of 1,608

Dear Mr. Dempsey,

Following further investigation the XDP-30R firmware has been confirmed to contain open source software licensed under GPL/LGPL.

Please note that the transfer link is only valid for 7 days.
If need be, the related files can be re-uploaded again.

Kind regards,
Danny

XDP-30R(1)
package-20180329.tar.gz (open source packages)

XDP-30R(2)
linux-4.1-20180329.tar.gz (linux kernel source code)
uboot-20180329.tar.gz (u-boot source code)
x86_64-toolchain-20180329.tar.gz (linux x86_64 toolchain)

I haven't downloaded them yet to have a look, but I don't know if there will be anything relevant, since they only need to provide the open source portion of their code.

I downloaded them It's very slow. The 2 zip files contain further zips (in tar format) but the tar files gave me data errors when I unpacked them on Windows. There seems to be a complete copy of linux 4.1-2xxxx , a boot loader of some sort but anything related to the Dap remains unfound or is in the files that had errors. Might try to download them over night when the servers maybe quiter.

Apr 4, 2018 at 4:33 PM Post #1,091 of 1,608
Ok, we can agree to disagree, but I still think they would be shooting themselves in the foot by only having the benefit of dual DAC's for Balanced operation. There is no indication on the Data sheet http://www.pioneer-audiovisual.eu/sites/default/files/datasheets/english/XDP-30R.pdf either way, but typically THD and noise measurements are better for Dual configurations, and there is only one set of measurements. Also, what would really be the point? Balanced and Unbalanced mode is strictly an issue in the output circuitry, since the DAC's themselves output Balanced signals.
I agree - both DACs will be used, regardless of the selected output mode. A differential output is how audio DAC's so equipped are normally used. I spend enough of the day job looking at audio schematics... :)
The reason is simple - by using differential outputs, the DAC output is a locally controlled difference (voltage or current, depending on the DAC) between two points within the IC, neither of which needs to be regarded as an absolute with reference to the audio ground - they are referenced to each other. This always gives a cleaner output, and the single-ended form for conventional heaphones is then derived from the difference between the two outputs. Since the ground between the DAC and amplifier is not part of the equation it is therefore not contributing noise. For balanced headphones, it's only the driver stage that is reconfigured to remove the ground connection altogether and to separate the current paths for the left and right earphone drivers. At the same time, the balanced amplifier itself contributes less noise back onto the power supplies than a single-ended amplifier, albeit at the expense of increased power consumption. Clever stuff...

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2018 at 4:34 PM Post #1,092 of 1,608
I downloaded them It's very slow. The 2 zip files contain further zips (in tar format) but the tar files gave me data errors when I unpacked them on Windows. There seems to be a complete copy of linux 4.1-2xxxx , a boot loader of some sort but anything related to the Dap remains unfound or is in the files that had errors. Might try to download them over night when the servers maybe quiter.
I downloaded them very quickly (220Mbits/.sec, here) :) But as you observed, the larger of the two of the files is corrupt and completely useless.

Apr 4, 2018 at 7:30 PM Post #1,093 of 1,608
I downloaded them very quickly (220Mbits/.sec, here) :) But as you observed, the larger of the two of the files is corrupt and completely useless.

Can anyone try unTaring it on a linux box? (unless that's been tried already). If it's agreed that the larger of the two files is corrupt, I'll reply to the originator of the message to possibly retry uploading them again.

Apr 5, 2018 at 12:09 AM Post #1,094 of 1,608

Dear Mr. Dempsey,

On the DAP, there's a whole list of GPL'd files (and one with the Mozilla licence) under the "licences" menu. Looks like a multimedia tweaked and slimmed distribution :D

Apr 5, 2018 at 12:26 AM Post #1,095 of 1,608
I wasn’t suggesting I knew in this case, I just figured we could ask Onkyo/Pioneer. Not disagreeing with you at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back