Onkyo DP-S1 Rubato / Pioneer XDP-30R Private
Jan 21, 2018 at 2:32 AM Post #916 of 1,608
You're not really comparing apples to apples, since XDP-30R is a DAP and the Dragonfly Black and the Mojo are DAC/headphone amp combos. The advantage with the XDP-30R is that you get the "source" included in the package (no extra addon bits..) and also the advantage of balanced headphone operation, which from the discussion here seems to make a dramatic difference in sound quality.

The Dragonfly Black, despite using a different (and single) version of an ESS DAC, is probably very similar to the XDP-30R due to the ESS house sound.

Yes I know the dap vs the dac issue, and I have to admit that it´s really convenient to only have one source instead of a phone, cables and a dac/amp. But the reason why I compared it to my dragonfly is because the XDP 30r is four times the price in my country, and in my opinion you should be paying for some difference in sq as well (due to the difference in price). What do you guys think?

After listening some more with the XDP 30r, I belive it´s a bit more open and spacious compared to the Dragonfly Black, while the black has a bit more details in the mids and lows. Again, just my opinion. I will try to listen to it as much as I can for the next week as well and see if the sq and the wifi connection some how improves.

I just have a question regarding the balanced output: what kind of cables are you guys using to play from the balanced output? I use a small cable from 3.5mm to 2.5mm that i plug into my original cable from my headphone (which is 3.5mm), but I think that a lot of details disappear when I use this output compared to the 3.5mm output. However, the balanced is more open and spacious than 3.5mm.

Jan 21, 2018 at 8:19 AM Post #918 of 1,608
Yes I know the dap vs the dac issue, and I have to admit that it´s really convenient to only have one source instead of a phone, cables and a dac/amp. But the reason why I compared it to my dragonfly is because the XDP 30r is four times the price in my country, and in my opinion you should be paying for some difference in sq as well (due to the difference in price). What do you guys think?

After listening some more with the XDP 30r, I belive it´s a bit more open and spacious compared to the Dragonfly Black, while the black has a bit more details in the mids and lows. Again, just my opinion. I will try to listen to it as much as I can for the next week as well and see if the sq and the wifi connection some how improves.

I just have a question regarding the balanced output: what kind of cables are you guys using to play from the balanced output? I use a small cable from 3.5mm to 2.5mm that i plug into my original cable from my headphone (which is 3.5mm), but I think that a lot of details disappear when I use this output compared to the 3.5mm output. However, the balanced is more open and spacious than 3.5mm.
I am using Moon Audio Blue Dragons with my Oppo PM-3's and Moon Audio Silver Dragons with my Westone ES60's. I prefer the balanced mode over the ACG on my DP-S1, I think it presents a larger sound stage.

Jan 22, 2018 at 9:54 PM Post #920 of 1,608
Which is preferable to buying now?
pioneer xdp30r or onkyo dp1s
Is there a strong difference between them?
I have both, the pioneer is still burning in but till now I prefer the onkyo dpsi. The pioneer on some recordings is a bit digital. This was also the case with the onkyo under 100 hrs of play and it went away with time. Remains to be seen if the pioneer reacts in the same way. ATM the pioneer sounds a bit closed in while the onkyo is open and airier. Onkyo @ plus 300 hrs and pioneer nearing 100 hrs.

Jan 23, 2018 at 9:28 AM Post #921 of 1,608
I have both, the pioneer is still burning in but till now I prefer the onkyo dpsi. The pioneer on some recordings is a bit digital. This was also the case with the onkyo under 100 hrs of play and it went away with time. Remains to be seen if the pioneer reacts in the same way. ATM the pioneer sounds a bit closed in while the onkyo is open and airier. Onkyo @ plus 300 hrs and pioneer nearing 100 hrs.

Thank you! Then I'll buy myself onkyo
Now I have a pioneer 300r on my hands and I'm waiting for the release of the HiBy r6, but you need a portable player for the street

Jan 23, 2018 at 12:00 PM Post #922 of 1,608
Thank you! Then I'll buy myself onkyo
Now I have a pioneer 300r on my hands and I'm waiting for the release of the HiBy r6, but you need a portable player for the street

Be sure to buy domestic. The Japanese versions don't have Tidal support due to licensing restrictions and updating the firmware with NA or EU versions does not make a difference.

Jan 23, 2018 at 12:58 PM Post #923 of 1,608
Has any one tried any other Bluetooth remotes(besides the phone app) with either the the Onkyo or Pioneer? I ordered and cancelled an Fiio RM1 because of some confusion between the 30R and the 100R, since the Fiio is only supposed to work with Android. I have an old Samsung S1 phone I was thinking of using as a remote, but it means I need to get it up to Android 4.4 for it to run the Pioneer remote app.

Jan 23, 2018 at 1:53 PM Post #924 of 1,608
Be sure to buy domestic. The Japanese versions don't have Tidal support due to licensing restrictions and updating the firmware with NA or EU versions does not make a difference.

Tidal I do not use, I do not need it))
Buy an internal version is very difficult, it costs more in x2 than the Japanese version

Jan 23, 2018 at 8:56 PM Post #925 of 1,608
Tidal I do not use, I do not need it))
Buy an internal version is very difficult, it costs more in x2 than the Japanese version
Sorry, not sure where you are located. I quietly complain about the cost of items in Canada vs the US, but I can appreciate that it can cost much more in other countries.
I was able to purchase mine locally for the CDN equivalent of $200US, so I was fortunate.

Jan 23, 2018 at 11:42 PM Post #926 of 1,608
Hey all. Has there ever been any mention of replay gain being added in a firmware update at some point. Seem to find this in less DAPS these days.May not be a big deal for some but i use it when available. Also , what suggestion for a leather case does any one have? Seems to not be a lot of choices out there.

Jan 24, 2018 at 12:25 PM Post #927 of 1,608
Went and got myself a USB OTG cable for the Onkyo, can't seem to get any sound out of it though, is there a special trick for it?

Edited to add, the latest FW is installed and it's a Japan version.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2018 at 6:11 PM Post #928 of 1,608
Hey all. Has there ever been any mention of replay gain being added in a firmware update at some point. Seem to find this in less DAPS these days.May not be a big deal for some but i use it when available. Also , what suggestion for a leather case does any one have? Seems to not be a lot of choices out there.

I bought the Onkyo leather case. It's very nice. Suits my purposes very well.

Jan 25, 2018 at 11:59 AM Post #930 of 1,608
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back