Onkyo DP-S1 Rubato / Pioneer XDP-30R Private
Jul 2, 2017 at 5:43 PM Post #316 of 1,608
Then you just use a phone, no need for a DAP, waste of money really. All of the audio processing and amplification is done by the headphone so the internals of the DAP beyond storage are wasted. I went Bluetooth headphones for portable and sold my DP-X1 for this reason, wasted money. Any decent smartphone with a nice screen will do. I love my LG G4 as a source for instance.
Understood what you are saying that why I'm looking at entry level player within my budget and cut it loose if really not my cup of tea.

Jul 2, 2017 at 7:21 PM Post #317 of 1,608
Understood what you are saying that why I'm looking at entry level player within my budget and cut it loose if really not my cup of tea.

I actually use an old iPhone 4s 32gb in my car. I picked it up used for 1500yen(13usd), and only use it for Bluetooth. If I were you and wanted a dedicated music player for BT headphones and sometimes use it with cabled headphones, I would look for something similar. Or use an old smartphone if you have one in a desk drawer. I just liked the size, interface and price pt of an old 4s.

I finally gave in and bought the onkyo because I wanted the balanced output, which is probably the main reason why everyone chose it.

Jul 2, 2017 at 8:38 PM Post #318 of 1,608
I chose it because:

-takes 2 256 gb micro SD cards
-not Android and has Tidal
-has balanced input/output
-10 band EQ and 5 level bass boost
-extremely small

Jul 2, 2017 at 9:05 PM Post #319 of 1,608
Cool, and for sure do what you feel is best, but as you are describing your needs even an entry level DAP is a waste, if you already have a phone with enough storage space and Bluetooth (preferably with Apt X although many say they can't hear any improvement with Apt X, I have never tested this). Good luck however you go, and my time with the DP-X1 was very positive so I am also curious about the new DAP. I also really like the Onkyo Bluetooth headphone the H500BT which I reviewed. Cheers.

Jul 3, 2017 at 11:35 AM Post #320 of 1,608
I chose it because:

-takes 2 256 gb micro SD cards
-not Android and has Tidal
-has balanced input/output
-10 band EQ and 5 level bass boost
-extremely small

It is the smallest with balanced out that I could find. Which I think was the main selling pt for me.
ATM, I don't plan on having 500gb of songs so that wasn't relevant to me and I might have preferred android if it didn't cost more. But it didn't matter one way or another.

Almost all players come with some form of eq... Is the onkyo one special? I have only had it for 1 day... Haven't even put all of my songs on yet.

Also at around 250 usd, its only competitor was the m1s, which doesn't have any warranty or repair.

Jul 6, 2017 at 10:43 PM Post #322 of 1,608
Has anyone heard the XDP-100R and XDP-30R/DP-X1S? I was impressed by the sound of the 100, but want something smaller.

They are close sonically, just a tiny bit of difference in soundstage and overall refinement. With upsampling on and in balanced mode I found them to be negligible, especially when a smaller size is what you'd prefer. The Onkyo siblings sound quite a bit more refined than the meatier Pioneer siblings, definitely noticeable but not night and day.

Jul 7, 2017 at 4:47 AM Post #323 of 1,608
Usually have wifi off so just turned it on for Tidal and I received a 1.06 update from my Hong Kong purchased DP-S1. Not sure yet what it adds or changes.

Maybe it might add Tidal to those who don't have it?

Edit: Immediately noticed the better scrollbar navigation in the music list.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2017 at 5:37 AM Post #324 of 1,608
Usually have wifi off so just turned it on for Tidal and I received a 1.06 update from my Hong Kong purchased DP-S1. Not sure yet what it adds or changes.

Maybe it might add Tidal to those who don't have it?

Edit: Immediately noticed the better scrollbar navigation in the music list.

I did the manual update via SD card last night downloaded from the Europe site. No, there is still no Tidal. I believe the Online apps need to be side loaded and not from the firmware.

Tidal app was never publicised on the Japanese web site http://pioneer-headphones.com/japanese/dap/xdp-30r/ so most probably it will never happen.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2017 at 5:50 AM Post #325 of 1,608
It is sad but it makes sense about the region specific apps. Maybe for those who haven't done the update can try another regions firmware and see if it lets them update?

Jul 7, 2017 at 5:58 AM Post #326 of 1,608
It is sad but it makes sense about the region specific apps. Maybe for those who haven't done the update can try another regions firmware and see if it lets them update?

I did. Japan model with Europe firmware. Successful update but no additional online apps.

Jul 7, 2017 at 6:15 AM Post #327 of 1,608
They are close sonically, just a tiny bit of difference in soundstage and overall refinement. With upsampling on and in balanced mode I found them to be negligible, especially when a smaller size is what you'd prefer. The Onkyo siblings sound quite a bit more refined than the meatier Pioneer siblings, definitely noticeable but not night and day.

Excellent, thank you.

Jul 7, 2017 at 1:59 PM Post #329 of 1,608
Version 1.06/17615AEO Greatly increases scrolling function. You can now scroll through your music using the side arrows and scrolling is much smoother.

Nice. I also just updated my DP-S1 via WiFi. It's pretty slick with long lists of artists or albums with this improvement.

FWIW, I bought my player in Hong Kong last week (I live in the UK). Paid a little over HKD 3000 at Broadway with a 32G SD card thrown in. But nowhere in HK seemed to have the matching Onkyo case - I just got mine from Harrow Audio in the UK - excellent service - ordered Tuesday, arrived Wednesday.

General perceptions of the player are highly favourable - using it with my Onkyo H500M phones. It's a great step up from my previous player (the Cowon Plenue D). Not only is imaging much better (and the Cowon isn't bad at its price point), but I really appreciate the dual storage slots capable of taking larger cards. Currently running 2 x 128G, but probably will upgrade in the next 6 months or so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back