Onkyo DP-S1 Rubato / Pioneer XDP-30R Private
Jun 26, 2017 at 9:04 AM Post #288 of 1,608
My XDP-30R arrived today and I have the same problem (no Tidal). I will try to update its firmware from SD card in the evening.

Let me know if you can update the firmware manually from sd card. I have been updating it always from OTA for the previous firmware versions.
I tried to download the firmware from pioneer EU website again yesterday by sd card and I am not able to do so as the update selection is always greyed out
Wonder is it because it can only upgrade to a later firmware from existing.

Jun 26, 2017 at 12:17 PM Post #289 of 1,608
Let me know if you can update the firmware manually from sd card. I have been updating it always from OTA for the previous firmware versions.
I tried to download the firmware from pioneer EU website again yesterday by sd card and I am not able to do so as the update selection is always greyed out
Wonder is it because it can only upgrade to a later firmware from existing.
I tried that too.. its grayed out because it has the latest firmware..

Jun 26, 2017 at 10:01 PM Post #291 of 1,608
That sucks. Did y'all contact Onkyo/Pioneer about the issue? It's especially dumb since it's an advertised feature.

Jun 26, 2017 at 10:16 PM Post #292 of 1,608
That sucks. Did y'all contact Onkyo/Pioneer about the issue? It's especially dumb since it's an advertised feature.

So far I have not written to Pioneer. I'm not into Tidal as I do not have a subscription account but I would welcome the USB audio out feature for transport mode.

Jun 27, 2017 at 12:07 AM Post #293 of 1,608
USB audio out is currently working.

I listen to my DP-S1 everyday at home stacked with a iFi micro iDSD Black Label.

Have the DAP off and connected to a powered amp/DAC. Turn on DAP, play a song, select three dots to right of song, select the top left option with play triangle and sound waves, select USB audio out.

Jun 27, 2017 at 2:29 AM Post #294 of 1,608
USB audio out is currently working.

I listen to my DP-S1 everyday at home stacked with a iFi micro iDSD Black Label.

Have the DAP off and connected to a powered amp/DAC. Turn on DAP, play a song, select three dots to right of song, select the top left option with play triangle and sound waves, select USB audio out.

Yes, mines also work with my mojo. The music converted to 32bit before sending to external dac, hope next version do not have such issue.

Jun 27, 2017 at 4:41 AM Post #295 of 1,608
Unfortunately, I didnt have time to try to update the FW from SD card yesterday (but I dont think it will be possible).

However, I have found out the following:
1. In the user manual in Japanese section there is no mention of Tidal (only TuneIn and radiko.jp that are both present on the player). In the English and some other sections Tidal is referred to.
2. In the package there was a note stating among others (it is OCRed, so there can be and probably are mistakes in the transcript):
お詫び
梱包箱に記載されていますUSB Digital OUT (OTG)は、記載誤記で非対応
です。お詫び申しあげます。​
That translates into (Google Translate):
apology
The USB Digital OUT (OTG) is stated in the packing box, it does not correspond with the description mistake
is. I apologize.

So I believe: Japanese version does not have Tidal. That may not change with following FWs (it can be region specific). There is also something wrong with the USB digital out on the Japanese version.

I am considering returning my XDP-30R to Amazon.co.jp as RMA - it has not the advertised features.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2017 at 6:38 AM Post #296 of 1,608
That could sadly explain it. My DP-S1 was sold to me from someone in Hong Kong. It has working USB audio out and Tidal.

It's surprising that the same player in different regions would have such software disparity.

Jun 27, 2017 at 7:22 AM Post #297 of 1,608
That could sadly explain it. My DP-S1 was sold to me from someone in Hong Kong. It has working USB audio out and Tidal.

It's surprising that the same player in different regions would have such software disparity.

Can you check if USB audio out feature is bit-to-bit perfect transfer to external DAC? Mines doesn't look like it is.

Jun 28, 2017 at 5:25 AM Post #298 of 1,608
Can you check if USB audio out feature is bit-to-bit perfect transfer to external DAC? Mines doesn't look like it is.
I am not sure about "bit to bit" but for sample rate to mojo, the DSD white light is on when playing DSD files (white light on mojo means it's DSD input), for up-sampled flac/wav 192K it does light up correct bluenissh-purple, others are red 44.1. All DSD can't use EQ. Hope this answered ur question.

Jun 28, 2017 at 7:41 AM Post #300 of 1,608
I am not sure about "bit to bit" but for sample rate to mojo, the DSD white light is on when playing DSD files (white light on mojo means it's DSD input), for up-sampled flac/wav 192K it does light up correct bluenissh-purple, others are red 44.1. All DSD can't use EQ. Hope this answered ur question.
Mines also get white light on when playing dsd file, but it shows that the file is upsampled when playing with my mojo (click 3dot icon and the sampling rate will be shown), the flac files will unsample

Users who are viewing this thread

Back