Old School Trio: AKG K701, Beyerdynamic DT880, Sennheiser HD650
Dec 5, 2010 at 11:53 AM Post #123 of 169
It's not the strong opinions expressed that's the problem with these threads. I have no problem at all with Acix love affair with the k702, even though I disagree with him. The problem is the fact that some people take someone's criticisms of a piece of gear as if it's an attack on their own taste. If you like the k701 and UE or someone else doesn't, what's the big deal...even if they say it a hundred times? Why should you even care enough to make it a problem? I already know UE's take on them as well as Acix's. So what if they repeat it in every relevant(and sometimes not relevant) thread. Just skip on to the next post and get on with it. The sun will still rise in the morning even though UE or someone else hates the k70X. It's incredible how polarizing a headphone can be!

Dec 5, 2010 at 12:01 PM Post #124 of 169

Quote:
It's not the strong opinions expressed that's the problem with these threads. I have no problem at all with Acix love affair with the k702, even though I disagree with him. The problem is the fact that some people take someone's criticisms of a piece of gear as if it's an attack on their own taste. If you like the k701 and UE or someone else doesn't, what's the big deal...even if they say it a hundred times? Why should you even care enough to make it a problem? I already know UE's take on them as well as Acix's. So what if they repeat it in every relevant(and sometimes not relevant) thread. Just skip on to the next post and get on with it. The sun will still rise in the morning even though UE or someone else hates the k70X. It's incredible how polarizing a headphone can be!

I agree with your point, if the people would just make their opinion once and let it go.  Its when they keep repeating  and repeating their obvious bias and make outrageous claims or infer them, ad nauseum, that I find rather irritating.

Dec 5, 2010 at 12:19 PM Post #125 of 169
A lot of what's written here is an "obvious bias", since it's purely subjective taste....like chocolate vs. vanilla ice cream. The other thing that comes into play is that we hear differently for purely physiological reasons. I get annoyed by an upper mid 'glare' or resonance in the 70X, but maybe my hearing is more sensitive to those frequencies that are bothering me....or maybe someone else's is less sensitive. As for repeating it over and over....seems easy enough to just skip to the next post. Why make it personal at all? it's just gear.

Quote:
Quote:

I agree with your point, if the people would just make their opinion once and let it go.  Its when they keep repeating  and repeating their obvious bias and make outrageous claims or infer them, ad nauseum, that I find rather irritating.

Dec 5, 2010 at 12:30 PM Post #126 of 169
I can't figure that out either.  If it wasn't personal, posters would simply express their opinion  once and move on.  Its when they continually press their opinion on the rest of us, that there seems to be an agenda of some sort, and it indeed seems to be  personal for them.

As for your vanilla /chocolate analogy I agree whole heartedly. 

Quote:
A lot of what's written here is an "obvious bias", since it's purely subjective taste....like chocolate vs. vanilla ice cream. The other thing that comes into play is that we hear differently for purely physiological reasons. I get annoyed by an upper mid 'glare' or resonance in the 70X, but maybe my hearing is more sensitive to those frequencies that are bothering me....or maybe someone else's is less sensitive. As for repeating it over and over....seems easy enough to just skip to the next post. Why make it personal at all? it's just gear.

Quote:
Quote:

Dec 5, 2010 at 12:56 PM Post #127 of 169
I feel that some people get so caught up in this hobby that their favorite headphone either becomes part of their personal identity, so if someone comes along and criticizes the way it sounds they take it personally, or they continuously hype up its sound characteristics in their own mind (usually the result of some sort of insecurity regarding their own preference) which causes them to become defensive whenever another poster has an opposing view. I think that anyone who has spent enough time on these forums learns to spot these types of posters from a mile away (unless, perhaps, you happen to be one).

Dec 5, 2010 at 1:14 PM Post #128 of 169

Quote:

lejaz, please stop to present the situation like is Acix Vs UE. Some of us here just start to get irritated and annoyed by his obsession to put the K-70X down by any cost.  

Dec 5, 2010 at 2:37 PM Post #129 of 169
[size=medium]Though I am unaware of any business theory that suggests that corporations set the price of their offerings purely based on quality of their products, there is a theory that suggests that the price that they are able to sell at, in an efficient market, is very close to the true value of the offering.  An example of this is the efficient-market hypothesis. ( there are lots of theories out there though so if someone is familiar with one that has been published in the peer reviewed liturature I would be very grateful if you could point me towards it.)[/size]

[size=medium]There have been several meaningful challenges to such efficient market theories by behavior economists, but my impression is that there still is more theoretical, and empirical evidence for market price being a measure of true value than MSRP being a measure of true value.[/size]

[size=medium]This may be particularly relevant to the discussion of the relative value of the headphones discussed since I have purchased 2 of the three in the last 2 weeks.[/size]

[size=medium]I paid $250 for the AKG K701s and $225 for DT 880 (600 ohms) headphones.  This is only one data point of course, but others have shared similar experiences.  If in fact people are willing to pay more for AKG K701s than for DT 880s I would hope that those that favor price as a measure of value would acknowledge that, using this logic the AKG k701s are superior to DT 880 (600 ohms) headphones.[/size]

[size=medium]Thanks for the opportunity for me to join in the discussion.[/size]

[size=medium]DV[/size]

[size=medium]P.S.  Personally, I think that the behavioral economists may be on to something, and that it is likely that neither the MSRP nor the market price are particularly good measures of how good a pair of headphones are.[/size]

Dec 5, 2010 at 2:41 PM Post #130 of 169
lets just all agree that grados suck? :]

Dec 5, 2010 at 4:11 PM Post #131 of 169
Does he really state his opinion any more frequently than you do yours? I'd be surprised if he does. But even if that's the case, why does anybody care, when it's so easy to ignore it... or just reply, if you feel like defending your own perceptions. Then we can debate these phones some more...ad infinitum.
biggrin.gif

Quo
Quote:

lejaz, please stop to present the situation like is Acix Vs UE. Some of us here just start to get irritated and annoyed by his obsession to put the K-70X down by any cost.  

Dec 5, 2010 at 7:36 PM Post #132 of 169

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Uncle Erik or anyone is entitled to infer anything he likes from a pricing structure, and you are entitled to disagree in as irritable a manner as you choose. 

if i can infer that unicorns exist, they must exist.  am i delusional?

No, but I'm afraid you're not very well versed in the rules of logic.

it's about intellectual honesty.  sure, i can infer anything i want, but that doesn't make it true.  no, a moderator shouldn't have the right to infer what he/she wants.   

i could care less what people like or dislike, but i feel UE and other mods/administrators step over the line with "activist" behaviors with expressing views on certain products.  obviously UE should be able to express his views, but the fact that he states he's a member first and moderator second is a problem.  he's made some irresponsible comments and has the power to wield.

Dec 5, 2010 at 7:49 PM Post #133 of 169

Quote:
lets just all agree that grados suck? :]

lol. . . 

I read this review and though it was kind of interesting.

Ummmm. . . . if someone doesn't like a headphone and they feel compelled to express their negative opinion there isn't anything wrong with that, as long as there are other voices that can speak out to agree or disagree so people can decide what to think!! Like democracy. :) 
Yay freedom of speech!! :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back