Old School Trio: AKG K701, Beyerdynamic DT880, Sennheiser HD650
Dec 1, 2010 at 3:33 PM Post #46 of 169

Quote:
Acix, I have a Dynalo and an M^3 around that I built. I found the K-701 plasticky on both on those, as well. I actually found the K-701 to sound its best on the Zana Deux. Not good enough to actually enjoy it, but it was better than on the solid state amps.

Unless you're saying that the Dynalo and M^3 are poor quality solid state amps

I actually picked up another stuffed Dynalo board last year and have two STEPS ready - they're going to be a Dynamid. There's also a three-channel Beta22 in parts as well as a Dynamight. I'll start working through them when I get the Arizona shop together in a few more months.

I prefer tubes, but plan to put a few solid state heavy hitters into the rack, too.

Maybe I'll reevaluate the K-701 then, but I don't think my opinion will change. I've heard it on a variety of amps at several meets and its fundamental character isn't very good. Though the K-601 surprised me - I like it. Not as much as the K-501, but it's a better headphone than the K-701.

AKG, by the way, implicitly acknowledges that the K-701 isn't as good as the DT880 or HD-650. That's why it is priced lower than those two. They can only compete on price, not sound.

I can't believe a Head Fi mod (and a laywer) posted false statement like this.

Dec 1, 2010 at 3:49 PM Post #48 of 169

HD650 isn't essential muddy, but Sennisher's silk damper design makes this headphone rather sensitive  about amp's ability to deal with Back-Emf.

p.s. the Sennisher's veil is not only muddy tone, but dynamics compression (soften), this is more critical. 

K701 isn't essential  plasticky,  if sound plasticky, this is more about amp's gain mismatch.
DT880/DT990's "smiley face" response?  please make sure your system has critically damped

Those headphone's "typical" problems can be easily solved, but before fanboyism , how can i say?

Dec 1, 2010 at 3:52 PM Post #49 of 169

Quote:

Quote:
AKG, by the way, implicitly acknowledges that the K-701 isn't as good as the DT880 or HD-650. That's why it is priced lower than those two. They can only compete on price, not sound.

I can't believe a Head Fi mod (and a laywer) posted false statement like this.

I am simply interested in where U.Eric (Headfi Moderator) draws this implicit statement from?  I am sure that U.Eric is aware of the implications of libel, and although there appears no defamation here, it is close if it is a fasle statement, and ethically not acceptable IMO.  If it is based on fact, simple, post the source of origin.

Dec 1, 2010 at 4:21 PM Post #50 of 169

Quote:
Acix, I have a Dynalo and an M^3 around that I built. I found the K-701 plasticky on both on those, as well. I actually found the K-701 to sound its best on the Zana Deux. Not good enough to actually enjoy it, but it was better than on the solid state amps.

Unless you're saying that the Dynalo and M^3 are poor quality solid state amps

I actually picked up another stuffed Dynalo board last year and have two STEPS ready - they're going to be a Dynamid. There's also a three-channel Beta22 in parts as well as a Dynamight. I'll start working through them when I get the Arizona shop together in a few more months.

I prefer tubes, but plan to put a few solid state heavy hitters into the rack, too.

Maybe I'll reevaluate the K-701 then, but I don't think my opinion will change. I've heard it on a variety of amps at several meets and its fundamental character isn't very good. Though the K-601 surprised me - I like it. Not as much as the K-501, but it's a better headphone than the K-701.

I'm not a big believer in the DIY solid state amps... what really impress me is both Luxman's and both SPL's they are in my opinion THE high quality solid state hps amp's, and above this level is the DAC coloration. The K702 have forward upper mids, but is up to the mastering, and the musical material as well. The only way that the K701/2 can sounds weird is if they get to much power, or not enough power. I only can suggest you to try out the Luxman's, or the SPL's, the Phonitor sounds very natural, but again is up to the DAC too.

The AKG "lower price", have nothing to do with the sounds quality, this is strictly business.  

Dec 1, 2010 at 4:47 PM Post #51 of 169
Acix,

Not the amp, I've tweaked my rig to the K701. I like details. I've added some slight bottom end coloration with the driver tube but otherwise I like it served slightly forward like the K701.

UE

Give an inch and look at ya. Family knows you're only getting wound up but to the noobs it looks slightly like the Hitler rant about the K701s losing the war.

Dec 1, 2010 at 4:55 PM Post #52 of 169
What's wrong with the DIY solid state amps?

Do you think that Kevin Gilmore, AMB and others need to revise their designs?

If the designs are flawed, how come several hundred or more experienced builders haven't noticed the flaws? If you have specific flaws or criticisms to point out, go ahead. I am sure the DIY crowd would be very interested to learn what they are doing wrong.

Or is it that you haven't seen a DIY solid state amp in a case you found attractive?

The Luxman is alright, though I think their stuff is dramatically overpriced for what you get. It's high fashion, but if you want audiophile Prada, there's nothing wrong with it. The SPL stuff is similarly too expensive, but the amps are loaded with gimmicks. Some are easily impressed with unneccessary dials and knobs. I'm not one of them.

Dec 1, 2010 at 5:11 PM Post #53 of 169

Quote:

If the designs are flawed, how come several hundred or more experienced builders haven't noticed the flaws? If you have specific flaws or criticisms to point out, go ahead. I am sure the DIY crowd would be very interested to learn what they are doing wrong.

Or is it that you haven't seen a DIY solid state amp in a case you found attractive?

The Luxman is alright, though I think their stuff is dramatically overpriced for what you get. It's high fashion, but if you want audiophile Prada, there's nothing wrong with it. The SPL stuff is similarly too expensive, but the amps are loaded with gimmicks. Some are easily impressed with unneccessary dials and knobs. I'm not one of them.

Looks like you have one of those bad days, do you really believe that the Phonitor is only unnecessary dials and knobs...what about the sound? Anyway you can try out the Auditor.

Dec 1, 2010 at 5:47 PM Post #54 of 169
UE, you're just mad because the HD800 doesn't come in green. 

EDIT:  I should probably add one of these so this doesn't get taken the wrong way: 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Dec 1, 2010 at 6:18 PM Post #55 of 169

Quote:

you've argued that the HD800 is picky about amplification.  i would say the same for the K70x.  it's not about designs being flawed but rather synergy.  the M3 with is not the best pairing for the K70x if you're sensitive to the upper-mids.  

Dec 1, 2010 at 9:14 PM Post #59 of 169

Quote:

I think most non DIY amps are still ugly.  Here's my take on a portable amp.

Drop Stay updated on Drop at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/drop https://twitter.com/drop https://www.massdrop.com/?clickid=3QR3Ib27lyA-VkBRJwyGuQJeUkhUQvX5r0tLzQ0&utm_term=252901&utm_content=VigLink&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_source=impactradius&irgwc=1
Dec 2, 2010 at 3:02 AM Post #60 of 169

Quote:
Quote:

This would be one of the most unusual marketing moves I have ever heard of.  In what way(s) does AKG acknowledge that the Senn and beyer are better?  Post a link showing the quote from AKG, or it simply isn't true.
Whether the DT880 or HD650 are better or not is subjective, even coming from and AKG staffer, but no-one should state that a company says something, unless it is true. Back it up.

The word "implicitly" means that it's unstated, merely implied. Uncle Erik is inferring from AKG's pricing stategy that it doesn't believe the 701 can compete on price. There is no obligation on him to "prove" that AKG believes this, as he has not stated it as a fact.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back