OK Down to Final 2 choices. lets get some advice
Feb 8, 2010 at 10:20 PM Post #31 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by cck5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lol i guess im puttin off an amp for a while. ill just buy a nice LOD for now. so when i finally get a chance to get an amp, ill be ready.

As soon as I saw the title of this post, I knew it would end like this. Head-Fiers do a great job of talking one another out of a purchase, unless its a raging FOTM and neither of your initial choices fit that bill. The meet suggestion was a good one - at least you wouldnt need a passport to hear a stack of amps.

Feb 9, 2010 at 6:37 AM Post #32 of 44
lol ive never seen a meet in buffalo ny. so i dont think thats possible. ill have to wait till i get back home before i can go to a meet. =(

Feb 9, 2010 at 9:11 AM Post #33 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by webbie64 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1. Many end up discovering or purchasing a 'topkit' of opamps for their amp that seems to synergise with a wide range of headphones for them - so there can be an additional cost to get the best out of the amp. (I haven't seen too many opamp rolling to suit each of their headphones like one might tube roll a full size amp for particular headphones).

2. If you do decide to really try a range of opamp options then be prepared to buy a number of opamps in addition to the ones provided - this is why most rely on the advice of those who do the work and discover the 'topkit' (saves time?).

Yes, a very valid point !
icon10.gif

That is precisely the reason I got the Ibasso P3+. Its got no less than 7 types of OPAMPs (8 in total) along with 2 different types of buffers when you buy it. So I have spend $0 to tweak the amp to suit my RE1.

Feb 10, 2010 at 4:50 AM Post #36 of 44
I'll send you some chocolates and a dozen long-stemmed roses if you send me a D4, OK ? The more I learn about women, the more I love gear.

Feb 10, 2010 at 4:05 PM Post #38 of 44
my gf doesnt really appreciate high end audio. thought she enjoys bouncing around the house with my grados on from time to time.

Feb 10, 2010 at 4:06 PM Post #39 of 44
but her apreciation of hallmark holidays, ruins my cashflow for new stuff.

also out of curiousity which provides more isolation closed cans or IEMS?

Feb 10, 2010 at 4:19 PM Post #40 of 44
Don't worry, nothing described in this thread is even very far into midfi, so her not appreciating hifi isn't going to impact that at all...

As to which is more isolating, it depends on the IEM and the full sized headphone.

Feb 10, 2010 at 4:48 PM Post #41 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't worry, nothing described in this thread is even very far into midfi, so her not appreciating hifi isn't going to impact that at all...

what is this supposed to mean.?? because it sounds like a very snobish comment

Feb 12, 2010 at 5:54 AM Post #42 of 44
Sorry if this comes across as blasphemous, but I doubt you'll really tell any difference between the XXS and the Tomahawk, they're both fantastic amps that should drive those cans really well. I recently picked up an XXS for $100 used, and just missed a Tomahawk that went for $120, though those prices are pretty low. I'd suggest just getting whichever comes up first.

One other thing - the box of the XXS is slightly curved, which is kind of annoying for pairing it with a portable setup. Just something to consider.

Feb 12, 2010 at 5:52 PM Post #44 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by AVU /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry if this comes across as blasphemous, but I doubt you'll really tell any difference between the XXS and the Tomahawk, they're both fantastic amps that should drive those cans really well. I recently picked up an XXS for $100 used, and just missed a Tomahawk that went for $120, though those prices are pretty low. I'd suggest just getting whichever comes up first.

One other thing - the box of the XXS is slightly curved, which is kind of annoying for pairing it with a portable setup. Just something to consider.

where are you finding these prices?? i can afford that lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back