Oh. My. God. (Got my HD 650s)
Dec 16, 2010 at 11:03 AM Post #61 of 182

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Wow, there sure is a lot of unsolicited advice being dispensed here.

OP, enjoy your HD650s.  I love the sound of my HD600s.  Some disparagingly call them mid-fi, and that's just fine.  They can coat whatever equipment they want in platinum and enjoy the sound 0.5% more, or maybe (in many cases on this forum) just have the satisfaction of having spent a lot more money on it.  If you want to upgrade, there are options.  If you're happy, be happy.  It's all good.

People have hinted that there there was a revelatory moment in their headphone hobby - and I think the HD 650s are mine.  Sure, the Grados were a step up from the really bad cans - but I wasn't expecting the hyper-leap forward between them and the HD 650.

Edited to add:  I once used to wonder how people could pay $200 for a meal.  Then my ex-girlfriend treated me to a meal at a middle-end restaurant in San Fran - it was a 'homestyle' type of weird 'gay restaurant' where her friend worked (had never heard of restaurants based on sexual orientation, but whatever).  I had a chicken with mashed potatoes and gravy type dish - it was just as revelatory!  I no longer wondered how anyone could pay that much for a meal!

This pretty much nails my experience on the head. I've had a total of three such instances in which this eureka moment has occurred. My first revelation was the pair of HD280s my parents got me for Christmas. The music just sounded so incredibly smooth with no bloated bass or extremely exaggerated treble. I didn't realize music could sound like that. $100 was a heck of a lot of money for a college student so I was happy with these as my only can.

Well, at least until I started reading on here and decided to try other cans which was eventually led to the AD2000, D2000, K701, T50RP, HD650, RS1, and many others. Each of these cans was a different revelation in sound. One had better bass definition (I didn't even know this was possible), the D2000s had incredibly flat bass, the SA5000s and T50RPs raw speed, the vocals of the AD2000, the soundstage of the K701, the tonal balance, the mids, and the treble everything was better on one or the other. However, I was perfectly fine stopping with one of these cans and calling it quits.

Then I went to a meet just to see if it could get any better. I had the misfortune of listening to almost every high end can. It was breath taking everything sounded so good, so right, so clear, it was scary. My setup didn't really hold a candle to these things. I remember the trip back I couldn't play the Bose stereo in my dad's car because it sounded so terrible (that's never happened before). That's why I upgraded to the LCD-2 even though as a college kid I don't have the money and I have to pay my own way through school. It's worth it to me as all of the traits I desired from other cans are present here but I can certainly see how the improvement wouldn't be for most people. I'm still struggling with the cost of these things and don't know if they'll be keeping due solely to their pricetag.

I really don't understand why everyone is going off the deep-end when a couple of people have made faux suggestions about an "upgrade path". I honestly don't think too many people are serious about it as it's in the nature of HF. Also I don't think anyone is being pretentious with their audio gear, I know I'm not.

@OP: Sorry for the long post. I hope it was worth the read instead of a snide and dismissive TLDR. I for one feel that if you are enjoying your current system do so for as long as possible before upgrading it or don't upgrade at all. It's honestly not a bad final setup to have.

I felt the urge... though I'm just messing with you.
popcorn.gif

Dec 16, 2010 at 11:04 AM Post #62 of 182
i totally agree with everything you just posted. ignorant... and unnecessary.

Quote:
I think your post was good. I just think that when the OP posts up about how great he thinks his new headphones are and is excited and blah blah blah...for someone to chime in just to remind him that his new purchase was only "mid-fi", that is pretentious and IMO down right ignorant. And then for someone else to say his headphones sucked but to go ahead and purchase a $1200 amp to use on his sucky headphone...well...that chaps my arse too. Maybe I am reading into this stuff too much, perhaps since it really doesn't pertain to me I shouldn't even be concerned, but for some reason...I think it is from my 10 years in law enforcement...I just have a super low, read ZERO, tolerance for ignorant people. But it is the internet and you'll have that no matter the subject and there really isn't anything that can be done about it. Guess I just need to grow some thicker skin or at least learn to keep my mouth shut. And I realize it is all about labels and none of that really matters in the big picture...I am just in one of those moods lately where things tend to irritate me a little easier I guess.

Sorry for getting so OT.

Dec 16, 2010 at 12:16 PM Post #63 of 182

Quote:
Quote:
This pretty much nails my experience on the head. I've had a total of three such instances in which this eureka moment has occurred. My first revelation was the pair of HD280s my parents got me for Christmas. The music just sounded so incredibly smooth with no bloated bass or extremely exaggerated treble. I didn't realize music could sound like that. $100 was a heck of a lot of money for a college student so I was happy with these as my only can.

Well, at least until I started reading on here and decided to try other cans which was eventually led to the AD2000, D2000, K701, T50RP, HD650, RS1, and many others. Each of these cans was a different revelation in sound. One had better bass definition (I didn't even know this was possible), the D2000s had incredibly flat bass, the SA5000s and T50RPs raw speed, the vocals of the AD2000, the soundstage of the K701, the tonal balance, the mids, and the treble everything was better on one or the other. However, I was perfectly fine stopping with one of these cans and calling it quits.

Then I went to a meet just to see if it could get any better. I had the misfortune of listening to almost every high end can. It was breath taking everything sounded so good, so right, so clear, it was scary. My setup didn't really hold a candle to these things. I remember the trip back I couldn't play the Bose stereo in my dad's car because it sounded so terrible (that's never happened before). That's why I upgraded to the LCD-2 even though as a college kid I don't have the money and I have to pay my own way through school. It's worth it to me as all of the traits I desired from other cans are present here but I can certainly see how the improvement wouldn't be for most people. I'm still struggling with the cost of these things and don't know if they'll be keeping due solely to their pricetag.

I really don't understand why everyone is going off the deep-end when a couple of people have made faux suggestions about an "upgrade path". I honestly don't think too many people are serious about it as it's in the nature of HF. Also I don't think anyone is being pretentious with their audio gear, I know I'm not.

@OP: Sorry for the long post. I hope it was worth the read instead of a snide and dismissive TLDR. I for one feel that if you are enjoying your current system do so for as long as possible before upgrading it or don't upgrade at all. It's honestly not a bad final setup to have.

I felt the urge... though I'm just messing with you.
popcorn.gif

Whoawawewah! Looks who's talking:):)

Your posts are sooo short, you definitely know how to stop typing and stop head-fi''ing
tongue.gif

(more serious; usually I agree to what your typing though)

sorry man, felt the urge
beerchug.gif

Dec 16, 2010 at 12:31 PM Post #64 of 182
Nice come back. You have managed to hurt my feelings.

Where's my sad panda gif when I need it?

On topic, anyone in the Orlando area who happens to have the HD650s please let's arrange a meet. The HD650s were the first 'high end' headphone I salivated over back when I knew next to nothing about headphones other than girls looking hot wearing them on the webz... I'm very deprived....

Dec 16, 2010 at 3:55 PM Post #66 of 182

Quote:
Just got my senn hd 650's. I'm disappointed. They are dark, boxy and totally undetailed. Can't believe all the hype about them.
frown.gif

GIGO.

Dec 16, 2010 at 3:58 PM Post #68 of 182

Quote:
Just got my senn hd 650's. I'm disappointed. They are dark, boxy and totally undetailed. Can't believe all the hype about them.
frown.gif

popcorn.gif

Edit: Considering my previous comments in this thread this will reek of hypocrisy, but what gear (dac/amp) do you have in your chain? Although the HD650 is certainly listenable with out an amp (as I've just discovered cranking my touch close to max volume), your disappointment may stem from not hearing the HD650's potential. Maybe you're just after a more "coloured" presentation. If you want a more exaggerated, "detailed" and in your face presentation you should perhaps look at a Grado or Alessandro can.

Dec 16, 2010 at 4:22 PM Post #71 of 182
+1 to this.

Quote:

Wow, there sure is a lot of unsolicited advice being dispensed here.

OP, enjoy your HD650s.  I love the sound of my HD600s.  Some disparagingly call them mid-fi, and that's just fine.  They can coat whatever equipment they want in platinum and enjoy the sound 0.5% more, or maybe (in many cases on this forum) just have the satisfaction of having spent a lot more money on it.  If you want to upgrade, there are options.  If you're happy, be happy.  It's all good.

On a related note, more than ever I have been considering buying HD650s again, and this thread is sort of pushing me in that direction. They're the only headphones in my memory that match my sound signature preferences, and I can't believe it has taken me this long to realize that I hate all my current headphones.

Dec 16, 2010 at 4:51 PM Post #72 of 182
To the OP -- congrats on the purchase and welcome to your new obsession.
beerchug.gif

I loved the HD650s -- I didn't find them particularly dark, and especially loved their richness of tone and wide (but not exaggeratedly so) soundstage. If I hadn't stumbled upon the T1s at a good price, I'd still have my HD650s for certain!

Dec 16, 2010 at 7:21 PM Post #73 of 182

Quote:
frown.gif

This is a typical response from someone used to lesser, more coloured headphones. No one here will convince you otherwise, but whatever you do don't sell the phones until you've given them a chance, and especially until you've compared them to live music. It's very easy to get attached to the sound of lesser phones, especially those with exaggerated bass and treble.  Remember, it's the music that's supposed to be exciting, not the phones. The phones just carry the sound to your ears, and it should be as flat and uncoloured as possible.

Also, when you say you can't believe all the hype, bear in mind that it must have a basis--why would so many people rave about something that's crap?

Dec 16, 2010 at 7:44 PM Post #75 of 182
I'm confused. Since when are the HD 650 considered oncoloured?
Quote:
This is a typical response from someone used to lesser, more coloured headphones. No one here will convince you otherwise, but whatever you do don't sell the phones until you've given them a chance, and especially until you've compared them to live music. It's very easy to get attached to the sound of lesser phones, especially those with exaggerated bass and treble.  Remember, it's the music that's supposed to be exciting, not the phones. The phones just carry the sound to your ears, and it should be as flat and uncoloured as possible.

Also, when you say you can't believe all the hype, bear in mind that it must have a basis--why would so many people rave about something that's crap?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back