Oh. My. God. (Got my HD 650s)
Dec 15, 2010 at 9:59 PM Post #31 of 182
I don't like the HD650's at all, they lack bass definition, prat and they sound closed-in compared to the best. I consider them a good gateway phone for beginners used to low end bass boosted junk. :) Their saving grace is the tonal balance for people that love bass and hate treble. 

Now, get a meier concerto or a lehmann black cube linear and learn how the HD650 should sound. :)

Dec 15, 2010 at 10:03 PM Post #32 of 182
wow... interesting...

Quote:
I don't like the HD650's at all, they lack bass definition, prat and they sound closed-in compared to the best. I consider them a good gateway phone for beginners used to low end bass boosted junk. :) Their saving grace is the tonal balance for people that love bass and hate treble. 

Now, get a meier concerto or a lehmann black cube linear and learn how the HD650 should sound. :)

Dec 15, 2010 at 10:16 PM Post #34 of 182
Yeah.  Most of that wow factor is just the difference between supra and circumaural.  Do some A/Bing between circums. 
Grados are the worst headphones ever made.  10 for discomfort.  10 for sibilance.  Not surprising. 

Doubt you will find much difference between the 650 and 800.  The differences on head-fi are just way overstated.
People will think that their tap water tastes better if you tell them it's from Fiji.   

Not trying to crap on your 650 experience.  They are good headphones.  Though I would have to put them at the very maximum of where you're really not going to get much from going more "high end."  At $420, you could get a pair of DT-880, XB-700 and an HD555 modded to 595 to represent all kinds of music.  To each his own though.

Dec 15, 2010 at 10:19 PM Post #35 of 182
i'm not a Grado fan either... but prepare to get torn up....
popcorn.gif

Quote:
Yeah.  Most of that wow factor is just the difference between supra and circumaural.  Do some A/Bing between circums. 
Grados are the worst headphones ever made.  10 for discomfort.  10 for sibilance.  Not surprising. 

Doubt you will find much difference between the 650 and 800.  The differences on head-fi are just way overstated.
People will think that their tap water tastes better if you tell them it's from Fiji.   

Not trying to crap on your 650 experience.  They are good headphones.  Though I would have to put them at the very maximum of where you're really not going to get much from going more "high end."  At $420, you could get a pair of DT-880, XB-700 and an HD555 modded to 595 to represent all kinds of music.  To each his own though.

Dec 15, 2010 at 10:46 PM Post #36 of 182
Here...take another hit...

because you're obviously high to make such a ridiculous comment. But hey, to each their own...just more Grados for me 
gs1000.gif

Quote:

Grados are the worst headphones ever made.  

Dec 15, 2010 at 11:07 PM Post #37 of 182
I had no idea you could get a <$200 Dac + amp (Fiio E9 + E7) that could drive the 650s.  Are there more than just the E9/E7 around that price range?

I'm guessing having a seperate dac and amp like the e7 and e9 is better than a combo unit too, right?

Dec 15, 2010 at 11:15 PM Post #38 of 182
why do people assume this? an all in one unit can work just fine as well.

Quote:
I had no idea you could get a <$200 Dac + amp (Fiio E9 + E7) that could drive the 650s.  Are there more than just the E9/E7 around that price range?

I'm guessing having a seperate dac and amp like the e7 and e9 is better than a combo unit too, right?

Dec 15, 2010 at 11:36 PM Post #40 of 182
i wouldn't say that. nothing wrong with a good combo like the HeadRoom combo's.

also with a non all in one combo you need another cable between the two.   

Quote:
FWIR improves fidelity.  No first hand experience, just have read it around head-fi, even summit-fi.

Dec 15, 2010 at 11:47 PM Post #41 of 182

Wow, there sure is a lot of unsolicited advice being dispensed here.

OP, enjoy your HD650s.  I love the sound of my HD600s.  Some disparagingly call them mid-fi, and that's just fine.  They can coat whatever equipment they want in platinum and enjoy the sound 0.5% more, or maybe (in many cases on this forum) just have the satisfaction of having spent a lot more money on it.  If you want to upgrade, there are options.  If you're happy, be happy.  It's all good.

Dec 15, 2010 at 11:47 PM Post #42 of 182
Focusing back on the OP . . .  Gratz on the new phones, and I'm glad you like them so much!  I really hope they blow away my AD700's as much as I think they will!

I got my HD650's on Monday, but they are for my Christmas present =(  I have to wait to open them.  I won't get my Double Helix Molecule until next week, and my LD MK III until early Jan.  

I wonder, can I use my E7 like this?  Computer -> E7 -> MK III -> HD650?

Dec 16, 2010 at 1:01 AM Post #43 of 182
Wow...that sux...but at least Christmas morning will be awesome. My Grados were Christmas presents too but I used sad puppy dog eyes and she let me keep them...lol

Quote:
I got my HD650's on Monday, but they are for my Christmas present =(  I have to wait to open them.  

Dec 16, 2010 at 1:20 AM Post #44 of 182

Quote:
i'm not a Grado fan either... but prepare to get torn up....
popcorn.gif

I AM a Grado fan, but if I have learnt anything from the perennial 'What do you people SEE in Grado/K701/DT880/whatever' posts its that you cant please all of the people all of the time. If God invented Fords to keep a*holes out of Chevys, then surely He had to invent other headphones to keep them away from Grados.

This is a subjective hobby - we need to get over it.

Dec 16, 2010 at 1:57 AM Post #45 of 182

Quote:

I'm sure his 650's sound better than your HD201's =)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back