Oh. My. God. (Got my HD 650s)
Dec 16, 2010 at 8:54 PM Post #77 of 182
The HD-650 is on special here in Oz atm for a *mere* $499, down from $899 (er, yeah ... nine hundred bucks):

http://lenwallisaudio.com/products/accessories/headphones/hd650

For the same money, I can buy the Stepdance and a hundred dollars worth of beer. Mmmm, b-e-e-r.

Dec 16, 2010 at 10:54 PM Post #79 of 182
Aw man, this thread has got me all excited to hear everyone's journey into their current set up or their future goals...I almost wanna make a thread.

Dec 16, 2010 at 10:56 PM Post #80 of 182
go for it.

Quote:
Aw man, this thread has got me all excited to hear everyone's journey into their current set up or their future goals...I almost wanna make a thread.

Dec 17, 2010 at 6:17 AM Post #81 of 182
I just want everyone to realize that I'm not saying the HD 650s are the end-all-be-all of headphones.

I'm just saying that they are the first really huge jump up for me.  My previous dalliance with this hobby left me with an ebay portable headphone amp, the Senn HD497, and the PX-200.

The Grados were a step up, but not like the HD 650.  It's unfair to compare them, really.

Dec 17, 2010 at 4:55 PM Post #82 of 182

Quote:

Wow, there sure is a lot of unsolicited advice being dispensed here.

OP, enjoy your HD650s.  I love the sound of my HD600s.  Some disparagingly call them mid-fi, and that's just fine.  They can coat whatever equipment they want in platinum and enjoy the sound 0.5% more, or maybe (in many cases on this forum) just have the satisfaction of having spent a lot more money on it.  If you want to upgrade, there are options.  If you're happy, be happy.  It's all good.

You're the one being disparaging here.
If you already know most of these threads will end up like this then what's the circular reasoning to state the same?
I'm pretty sure the sound on the Qualias 010 , He60 with amp combo, o2, l3k, and even the r10s are more than 0.5 percent better.
And as for platinum coated phones I think you mean palladium lol.
But I agree that if he's happy then he shouldn't be sucked into spending more money.
Additionally I have to say that I've tried the Omegas and with the hd650s side by side... It was pretty sad. At least 30 percent more on all areas

Dec 17, 2010 at 5:21 PM Post #83 of 182
I feel the need to chime in on this thread as well, seeing as I have the exact same setup as the OP (E7/E9 and HD650).

I've had the HD650's for over a year now, but they only really came to life after I got the E7 and E9 to feed them. My previous hp's before the Senns were a pair of Beyerdynamic DT311's, and they were my introduction to decent headphones, I guess. Still have them, in fact, but they have an irritating loudnessy sound to them and not nearly as refined or detailed as the HD650's. I actually I feel that I need to take a short moment to settle down before I put them on just to 'honor' (for lack of a better word) the quality of the sound and the experience they produce.

I feel I don't need to find anything that tops the HD650's. They are sort of like the pinnacle of head-fi SQ for me (for now, at least - granted, I've never heard the $1000 cans). I think recording quality starts to play a bigger role, and I suspect if I had any better cans then this, I would only start focusing on unessential things, such as weak mixing or incorrect production of records and how they are restricting my headphones etc.

I have a feeling I might like the sound of tube amps, but I think I won't embark on that journey for another few years still. I'm very much enjoying how the E7/E9 has transformed and opened up my Senns.

Dec 17, 2010 at 5:24 PM Post #84 of 182

Quote:
Quote:

Also - Are LCD-2 that much better than HE-6?

No.  I own both of them and both are great.  I prefer the HE-6 by a nose but that's me.

Quote:
I feel the need to chime in on this thread as well, seeing as I have the exact same setup as the OP (E7/E9 and HD650).

I've had the HD650's for over a year now, but they only really came to life after I got the E7 and E9 to feed them. My previous hp's before the Senns were a pair of Beyerdynamic DT311's, and they were my introduction to decent headphones, I guess. Still have them, in fact, but they have an irritating loudnessy sound to them and not nearly as refined or detailed as the HD650's. I actually I feel that I need to take a short moment to settle down before I put them on just to 'honor' (for lack of a better word) the quality of the sound and the experience they produce.

I feel I don't need to find anything that tops the HD650's. They are sort of like the pinnacle of head-fi SQ for me (for now, at least - granted, I've never heard the $1000 cans). I think recording quality starts to play a bigger role, and I suspect if I had any better cans then this, I would only start focusing on unessential things, such as weak mixing or incorrect production of records and how they are restricting my headphones etc.

I have a feeling I might like the sound of tube amps, but I think I won't embark on that journey for another few years still. I'm very much enjoying how the E7/E9 has transformed and opened up my Senns.

I agree with you except one thing.
There are plenty of people who have stated the He5s, the he4, d7k, etc are better than the 650.
They are all under 1k.

Dec 17, 2010 at 5:26 PM Post #85 of 182

Quote:
Quote:

OP, enjoy your HD650s.  I love the sound of my HD600s.  Some disparagingly call them mid-fi, and that's just fine.  They can coat whatever equipment they want in platinum and enjoy the sound 0.5% more, or maybe (in many cases on this forum) just have the satisfaction of having spent a lot more money on it.  If you want to upgrade, there are options.  If you're happy, be happy.  It's all good.

If you already know most of these threads will end up like this then what's the circular reasoning to state the same?
I'm pretty sure the sound on the Qualias 010 , He60 with amp combo, o2, l3k, and even the r10s are more than 0.5 percent better.
But I agree that if he's happy then he shouldn't be sucked into spending more money.
Additionally I have to say that I've tried the Omegas and with the hd650s side by side... It was pretty sad. At least 30 percent more on all areas

LOL!

Dec 17, 2010 at 5:29 PM Post #86 of 182

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

LOL!

I don't see how this is funny. I'm not the one who posted a giant picture saying this thread sucks.

Dec 17, 2010 at 5:44 PM Post #87 of 182
this place sucks... why can't we all just be nice and get along??

Dec 17, 2010 at 5:44 PM Post #88 of 182

Quote:
I agree with you except one thing. There are plenty of people who have stated the He5s, the he4, d7k, etc are better than the 650.
They are all under 1k.

I might need to listen to those sometime. Problem is, I live in a secluded paradise without any decent head-fi stores within 100 miles of me.

Dec 17, 2010 at 5:52 PM Post #89 of 182

Quote:
this place sucks... why can't we all just be nice and get along??

No, this is a great place. Compared to other forums people actually get along fine here. Sometimes some irritations, but nothing spectacular (nothing negative)

Merry Christmas to all of you headphone-junkies
bigsmile_face.gif

Dec 18, 2010 at 2:10 AM Post #90 of 182

Quote:
I'm confused. Since when are the HD 650 considered oncoloured?

Quote:
This is a typical response from someone used to lesser, more coloured headphones. No one here will convince you otherwise, but whatever you do don't sell the phones until you've given them a chance, and especially until you've compared them to live music. It's very easy to get attached to the sound of lesser phones, especially those with exaggerated bass and treble.  Remember, it's the music that's supposed to be exciting, not the phones. The phones just carry the sound to your ears, and it should be as flat and uncoloured as possible.

Also, when you say you can't believe all the hype, bear in mind that it must have a basis--why would so many people rave about something that's crap?

I thought I said "more coloured". Doesn't that imply that the 650s are coloured (as are all phones) but that there are others more coloured? If you're used to phones with a lot of bass and treble the 650s will sound very flat and lifeless...and yes, dark. At first. It takes time to acclimatise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back