Official X3 1st gen firmware thread--3.34beta: removed 5800 song limit, play through folders--Happy Chinese New Year!
Mar 29, 2015 at 9:03 PM Post #646 of 921
I bought X3 for detail retrieval, not massive eq processing.  I find this thread humorous.   Earlier, there was a lively debate about whether or not Fiio should implement an eq.  Then they do, protecting the X3 and its non-distortive ability, and the eq is not "effective" enough.  Fiio has far exceeded my expectations for a sub $200 DAP. 

If we can afford $1000 iem's, why are we sourcing from a $200 DAP?  

If we want added eq "effect," there are options.  Go for it.    Enjoy!

To me, an X3 version II is not attractive due to the lack of hardware bass/treble.

Also, didn't an earlier poster rag on 3.34b, stating that 3.0ex was superior(by far) and then go on later to to praise 3.34b?

ROFLMAO!

Entertainment.  

Mar 30, 2015 at 10:26 AM Post #648 of 921
I tend to run my X3 "flat" so I empathize with some of the comments here.  I also agree that it is nice that on the original X3 the bass and treble adjustments are baked into the hardware on the headphone out. 

Having said that, I like that the optional EQ done in software does work through the line out.  I use that to subtly increase the low bass for use in my car which has wimpy bass response.

I do find that many IEMs have inconsistent sound depending on how far the tips are inserted into the ear and that eq can be helpful in those situations.  Sometimes I use the 5 band equalizer, sometimes just the bass and treble, usually nothing.  It all depends on the situation at hand.  It is sure nice to have a beefy amp in the X3 and FIIO range; my latest headphones designed by Phonak are power hungry.

Mar 30, 2015 at 11:17 AM Post #649 of 921
Sorry for going a bit of topic here, but could someone tell me how the new "play through folders" feature is supposed to work. I have it enabled, but when I skip through the last song on the album, it just starts the album over. Is this feature working for everyone else, or is it just me?

Mar 30, 2015 at 2:01 PM Post #650 of 921
Hello Im2spec1al,

Have you tried the same operation while playing the last song in a "folder" (from Browse Files) rather than an "album" (from Browse by Category)?

That's what 'play through "folders" ' has enabled. Granted, we should work on "play through albums" as well :xf_eek:

Best regards,
Joe

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Mar 31, 2015 at 9:41 AM Post #652 of 921
Oh okay, that makes sense :D I mistook folders to mean albums, silly me. Now that I tried the function through "browse files", it works like a charm, thanks for clearing that up for me 
tongue.gif
 Playing through albums would be cool though, I've never seen that kind of function in any player I've used.

Mar 31, 2015 at 11:44 PM Post #653 of 921
Noticed a bug in the browse by "Artists" screen. Upon selecting an artist, the screen lists all the albums by that artist followed by an extra option to view "All Songs" by the artist. At most 7 list items (including "All Songs") can appear in this screen. So if there are more than 6 albums by an artist, we need to scroll down. For artists with 7 or more albums, the problem is that when I am selecting the last list item (which is not "All Songs"), instead of showing the audio files for that particular album only, all the files for that artist are shown. It is behaving as if I selected the "All Songs" option.

I can confirm that I experience this same bug.

Apr 2, 2015 at 10:54 AM Post #654 of 921
I run my DAPS Flat NO EQ'ing, ne it the fiio x3 (EQ OFF) or be my A17 walkman (Equalizer > None)

Apr 3, 2015 at 11:03 AM Post #655 of 921
I love the Play thru folder feature. Fantastic, since I just browse by folders.

Main issue is that the FW does not recognize certain albums (FLAC) and it's a random thing. For eg, it played Rammstein before and suddenly no longer shows any songs.

For when the final release?

Apr 3, 2015 at 11:28 AM Post #656 of 921
I can confirm that I experience this same bug.

I've come up with a possible "workaround" that corrects this behavior, at least on my unit with the current firmware.  As an example:
My BEATLES folder has 17 albums in it.  If I navigate down the list to album 15 "The Beatles (White Album)" and open it, ALL SONGS by the Artist(s) are displayed as mentioned in the bug.  (All songs No.1, 2,3,4 etc.)
However, navigate either:
-up from the bottom to the desired album list OR
-down from the top being sure to include the ALL SONGS option in the list and the album song list (and album songs) is correctly displayed.

Apr 7, 2015 at 11:49 AM Post #657 of 921
3.34 final/alpha/rc???

sorry if already anounced - too lazy to read all the previous pages, also too lazy to customize & flash the beta and 2 day later the final comes out.
But the beta is out since nov. 2014 meanwhile....

(btw; is it still showing "unkown artist" in the play window when skipping etc? - wouldn´t have released a 1.0 with this bug 
biggrin.gif
 )

Apr 7, 2015 at 12:18 PM Post #658 of 921
  3.34 final/alpha/rc???

sorry if already anounced - too lazy to read all the previous pages, also too lazy to customize & flash the beta and 2 day later the final comes out.
But the beta is out since nov. 2014 meanwhile....

(btw; is it still showing "unkown artist" in the play window when skipping etc? - wouldn´t have released a 1.0 with this bug 
biggrin.gif
 )

I feel that you might still be on quite an old firmware. over the past few, the artist name or as you say "unknown artist" isn't just there when you skip tracks, it is there the whole time. Now however, with 3.34b, it does know the artists and that problem is gone. It stays there while the track is playing too.

BTW, 3.34b hasn't been out since November last year if that is what you meant. It has been available since the middle of February this year.

This firmware also seems to sound a lot clearer than the previous firmwares strangely.

Apr 7, 2015 at 12:41 PM Post #659 of 921
well, regarding the release of the 3,34b I refered to the 1st post of this thread:
"2014-02-11
Beta firmware version 3.34 for the X3 is now available!...."

"unknown artist" depends on the way of using the player. Go to "play all" and you´ll see (I´m on 3,3)

clearer sounds nice. Without e17, the X3 appears too dull for my taste

Apr 7, 2015 at 1:25 PM Post #660 of 921
well, regarding the release of the 3,34b I refered to the 1st post of this thread:
"2014-02-11
Beta firmware version 3.34 for the X3 is now available!...."

"unknown artist" depends on the way of using the player. Go to "play all" and you´ll see (I´m on 3,3)

clearer sounds nice. Without e17, the X3 appears too dull for my taste

Oh sorry! I see why we are getting mixed up. I have been viewing this thread since it started. I think it started with 3.21b, 3.22b, 3.24b and that lot. Each time a new FW was available, Joe edited and replaced or added a link to the first post. This made it easier for those who didn't come to the thread so often. It meant that they didn't need to spend ages going through the pages
From what I can tell, maybe Joe just didn't change the date on the post.

Try out 3.34 though. it is a very good firmware.

About the E17, the X3 has pretty much exactly the same amplifier in it. It would be like strapping an X3 to an X3 and just using the amplifier of that one if that was possible. The E17 and X3 shouldn't sound any different at all really. It will just be the X3's line out that will be making a difference in volume.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back