Official X3 1st gen firmware thread--3.34beta: removed 5800 song limit, play through folders--Happy Chinese New Year!
Mar 28, 2015 at 12:12 PM Post #632 of 921
IMHO there's a big difference between "subtle" and "doesn't work at all" and it can easily mislead people if those two are used interchangeably.

Thank you nmathesis. I stand corrected! The equaliser does infact work in the X3 but as I stated the effect is quite subtle (So slight as to be difficult to detect or describe)

I didn't intend to mislead!

Mar 28, 2015 at 2:30 PM Post #634 of 921
I'm an EQ guy. I tweak. 

The EQ is very well done.  

No distortion.  Subtle, yes, but highly effective. 

I suggest if you cannot hear a difference it is your cans.  On my DT990's, the rumble down low is amazing now, thanks to the EQ.  

Well done, Fiio!  

FWIW, my experience with Sony EQ is that they are a toy, a processing joke. I want music that sounds like I was in the studio.

My only issue with the current beta is that the eq turns itself off by itself, and says it's on.  Every time I boot up the player, I head to EQ, switch to OFF, then back on to CUSTOM.   Bam, it's on again.  Weird.

Mar 28, 2015 at 3:25 PM Post #635 of 921
  I'm an EQ guy. I tweak. 

I suggest if you cannot hear a difference it is your cans.  On my DT990's, the rumble down low is amazing now, thanks to the EQ.  

Well done, Fiio!  

FWIW, my experience with Sony EQ is that they are a toy, a processing joke. I want music that sounds like I was in the studio.

My only issue with the current beta is that the eq turns itself off by itself, and says it's on.  Every time I boot up the player, I head to EQ, switch to OFF, then back on to CUSTOM.   Bam, it's on again.  Weird.

I don't think it's my cans (headphones!?)  HD 600s,580s,T51p,Piston2s, CX300mk2s nor my ears!

Mar 28, 2015 at 4:45 PM Post #636 of 921
  I'm an EQ guy. I tweak. 

Well done, Fiio!  

lol.

But yes, the HARDWARE EQ is amazing.

Mar 28, 2015 at 5:27 PM Post #637 of 921
For me and for anyone that has worked with software EQ's before, it doesn't work at all. It's totally useless.

I have used software Eq such as Pulseaudio EQ on my linux PC as I siad before and yes, that is alot more effective but it just ends up adding to much distortion if I add toomuch bass. This EQ software also reduces the volume a lot when you enable the EQ compared to when it is off. The EQ on the X3 does it in a cleaner way. Unless your X3 has a problem, I really struggle to understand why you are saying that it is totally useless. I have used many other software Eq's that are more effective but the X3 still does work even if it doesn't make as bigger difference to the sound.

If it doesn't change the sound for you at all, I simply can't work out what could be causing that. To everyone else, I am sure they would say that it changes to sound at least a bit.

I agree that the hardware bass and treble is very good and also a lot better. But if I am after deeper sounding bass boost, put it on high gain, put it to +6 on 62HZ and you really should notice the difference to those low frequency notes.

Mar 29, 2015 at 10:13 AM Post #640 of 921
Not at all.

Maybe you could try what I have just tested. As the metal EQ is totally flat and the same volume as the others, set the custom EQ to +6 in bass at 62hz. Play some music that is a very good recording through some very detailed headphones and switch between metal and custom. On my headphones, you can notice that when it is on +6, you notice the low end rumble much more and my headphones don't have much in the way of bass. I can easily tell the difference without needing to look at the X3 to see which one it was on. I think all of the ready made EQs are not effective at all but there are lots of custom ones that can make quite a difference. Other headphones won't benefit from the EQ as much so it won't be as noticeable with some.

If you don't notive any changes to the sound no matter what you try with the EQ, then it is either, your headphones are not good enough to be able to tell the difference or the software on your X3 alone isn't working correctly. This would be very strange though.

I am farely sure that nobody else has said that is doesn't work at all.

Mar 29, 2015 at 11:48 AM Post #642 of 921
This conversation has taken such a strange turn! Since I typically use my X5 now instead of my X3, I broke out my old X3. It's running 3.34b. I can hear distinct sound signature changes between the EQ presets even using inexpensive IEM like Brainwavz Delta. I can't help but imagine these differences would be more distinct with my better IEM.

I do think the hardware bass / treble controls are superior, and that's probably the main driver behind Fiio taking their time with implementing a software EQ on X3.

The software EQ on X5 and the X3 2nd gen I'm testing are much, much better than the software EQ on X3. And I do miss the hardware EQ on the newer DAPs for quick, simple, high-quality bass / treble adjustments.

Paulus XII: Are you running 3.34b or another firmware? Can you really hear no difference? Or do you just think it's a poor EQ implementation and are complaining about that?

Mar 29, 2015 at 11:53 AM Post #643 of 921
The bottom line is that is does work. Maybe not up to everybody's expectations but it does work.  

Mar 29, 2015 at 3:35 PM Post #645 of 921
This conversation has taken such a strange turn! Since I typically use my X5 now instead of my X3, I broke out my old X3. It's running 3.34b. I can hear distinct sound signature changes between the EQ presets even using inexpensive IEM like Brainwavz Delta. I can't help but imagine these differences would be more distinct with my better IEM.

I do think the hardware bass / treble controls are superior, and that's probably the main driver behind Fiio taking their time with implementing a software EQ on X3.

The software EQ on X5 and the X3 2nd gen I'm testing are much, much better than the software EQ on X3. And I do miss the hardware EQ on the newer DAPs for quick, simple, high-quality bass / treble adjustments.

@Paulus XII: Are you running 3.34b or another firmware? Can you really hear no difference? Or do you just think it's a poor EQ implementation and are complaining about that?

I do think it's a poor EQ implementation. The difference EQ'ed and non EQ'ed is close to none. But I'm glad to know X5 and X3 II are much better. What a relief! : )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back