Official Schiit Vali 2 Thread
Dec 14, 2015 at 12:48 PM Post #61 of 3,690
  Same exact boat. I want the 650s to shine and I don't know what to do now. Just gonna wait it out and listen to what everyone else thinks.

I decided on the Valhalla 2, it arrived this morning(express shipping). Its been in use with my HD600 for about an hour.

I know this is a Vali 2 thread, sorry guys >.<, just wanted to update.

If you have any curiosities, Robun, feel free to ask.

Dec 14, 2015 at 2:32 PM Post #62 of 3,690
  Painted Klown:Yes you are correct BUT ONLY those tubes designated in that family.Other tubes may have similar pin layout but voltages will be different.Congrats on your first tube component.Music will never sound the same.....Schiit says the Vali 2 can use "many other types of tubes",anyone know if 12AX7 will work?

Thanks! I was hoping that I had somewhat of an idea of what I was talking about.
tongue.gif

I have my doubt that 12v tubes like 12au7, 12at7, 5751, ECC82, ECC83 and 12AX7 will work, Think you need to use 6v tubes like 6dj8, ECC88, E88CC and 6922 and others in the same family.

I believe some of the Project/Garage 1217 amps would be a better choice if you want to roll larger variety of tubes.

Thank you for the clarification. This was my thought as well, from the reading I had done, but I am literally just starting to learn about tubes.
Congrats on getting the Vali 2! I would really love to hear your impressions how it sounds with your HD650's, HD598's and Grado SR80's once you have had adequate time to allow for equipment and brain burn-in.

Thanks. I plan to post my thoughts after I have had time to digest the sound of the Vali 2. I like to listen to gear for at least a week, to be sure that I have a decent grasp on it.
cool.gif

Dec 14, 2015 at 8:26 PM Post #63 of 3,690

Hi guys, nice to see this thread up and running. I'm just waiting for the holidays to end to order the Vali 2. If someone here is familiar with tubes, do you think the Mullard Amperex 12AU7A ECC82 tube valve Blackburn would be a good fit.?

You can't use 12v tubes in the Vali 2, or any other Schiit tube amp.

Thanks for that.

Dec 14, 2015 at 8:52 PM Post #64 of 3,690
I received mine today in Canada! I loved the original Vali so I was not sure how much improvement to expect. I was simply blown away! First of all, the hiss is completely gone on both the low and high gain modes. I have the AKG Q701, Fostex T50RPmk3 and Grado SR60e and even the Grados are completely hiss-free. On the original Vali, the SR60e had an audible hiss. However, what truly surprised me was how much more black the background was on the Q701 and T50RPmk3. I guess I had gotten used to a very mild hiss on the original Vali even on less sensitive headphones.

As for the sound itself, I do not speak the audiophile lingo yet, so please bear with me. Keep in mind that I am comparing it to the original Vali only since it's the only other proper amp that I own. I would describe the sound on Vali 2 as much more robust in a good way compared to Vali 1. The original Vali had a degree of lushness that was very enticing but it left its imprint on all the music that you would listen to. Vali 2 is more neutral (at least with the stock tubes), but still has a great full sounding tube sound. It definitely sounds more natural and fuller then the original Vali. It also sounds more stable and competent - maybe it has to do with the fact that it has less distortion.

I have not done any scientific testing, but I feel that Vali 2 has a much more well defined and grounded low end. The drums and bass sound spectacular. It pairs extremely well with the T50RPmk3. The Q701 also sounds great. I will test it later with the Grados.

As for the ringing and microphonics, there are none. Does not matter if you plug in the headphones, or flip the low/high gain switch, nothing.

In conclusion, Vali 2 is a big improvement over the original in both the sound and functionality. It is also a great value even taking into consideration how bad the Canadian dollar is right now.

If anyone has any questions, I will be happy to try and answer them.

Dec 15, 2015 at 12:40 AM Post #69 of 3,690
Very curious to try this with the EL-8. I know they don't technically need an amp, but they sing with the Vali 1...

Dec 15, 2015 at 1:27 AM Post #70 of 3,690
  I received mine today in Canada! I loved the original Vali so I was not sure how much improvement to expect. I was simply blown away! First of all, the hiss is completely gone on both the low and high gain modes. I have the AKG Q701, Fostex T50RPmk3 and Grado SR60e and even the Grados are completely hiss-free. On the original Vali, the SR60e had an audible hiss. However, what truly surprised me was how much more black the background was on the Q701 and T50RPmk3. I guess I had gotten used to a very mild hiss on the original Vali even on less sensitive headphones.

As for the sound itself, I do not speak the audiophile lingo yet, so please bear with me. Keep in mind that I am comparing it to the original Vali only since it's the only other proper amp that I own. I would describe the sound on Vali 2 as much more robust in a good way compared to Vali 1. The original Vali had a degree of lushness that was very enticing but it left its imprint on all the music that you would listen to. Vali 2 is more neutral (at least with the stock tubes), but still has a great full sounding tube sound. It definitely sounds more natural and fuller then the original Vali. It also sounds more stable and competent - maybe it has to do with the fact that it has less distortion.

I have not done any scientific testing, but I feel that Vali 2 has a much more well defined and grounded low end. The drums and bass sound spectacular. It pairs extremely well with the T50RPmk3. The Q701 also sounds great. I will test it later with the Grados.

As for the ringing and microphonics, there are none. Does not matter if you plug in the headphones, or flip the low/high gain switch, nothing.

In conclusion, Vali 2 is a big improvement over the original in both the sound and functionality. It is also a great value even taking into consideration how bad the Canadian dollar is right now.

If anyone has any questions, I will be happy to try and answer them.

Thanks very much for your impression!

I have just one question. How would you describe the sound signature? For example, the Modi 2 Uber + Magni 2 Uber is often described as a bright sounding combo. What about the Vali 2? Would you describe the sound as still 'warm and lush', but less than the Vali? Or is it completely different now and it's very neutral or slightly bright?

Dec 15, 2015 at 6:31 AM Post #71 of 3,690

Thanks very much for your impression!

I have just one question. How would you describe the sound signature? For example, the Modi 2 Uber + Magni 2 Uber is often described as a bright sounding combo. What about the Vali 2? Would you describe the sound as still 'warm and lush', but less than the Vali? Or is it completely different now and it's very neutral or slightly bright?

I can't compare it to the Magni 2 Uber since I have never heard it in action. I think that the big advantage that the Vali 2 has over the original is that it simply resolves much more detail from the same source material.It is also more neutral overall. The original Vali sounds very syrupy in the treble (and the upper mids) to the point of where one can argue it distorts the original material. It also sounds a bit thinner overall. The Vali 2 is more balanced and sounds very rich in the lows and the mids. Keep in mind, I have done most of my listening with the T50RPmk3 which has a very nice planar bass. I also use the high gain mode on the Vali 2.

In conclusion, I would say that the Vali 2 is a very significant upgrade to the original. I did not expect it would be because I loved the Vali, but the Vali 2 is in a completely different league.

Dec 15, 2015 at 7:37 AM Post #72 of 3,690
  I can't compare it to the Magni 2 Uber since I have never heard it in action. I think that the big advantage that the Vali 2 has over the original is that it simply resolves much more detail from the same source material.It is also more neutral overall. The original Vali sounds very syrupy in the treble (and the upper mids) to the point of where one can argue it distorts the original material. It also sounds a bit thinner overall. The Vali 2 is more balanced and sounds very rich in the lows and the mids. Keep in mind, I have done most of my listening with the T50RPmk3 which has a very nice planar bass. I also use the high gain mode on the Vali 2.

In conclusion, I would say that the Vali 2 is a very significant upgrade to the original. I did not expect it would be because I loved the Vali, but the Vali 2 is in a completely different league.

Thanks, I think I have a better sense of how the Vali 2 sounds like now.

I will likely be getting this and pairing it with the Fidelio X2. Yes, the X2's are easy to drive, but I feel they come alive when paired with the vali compared to solid state amps like the magni 2  or onboard audio. The Vali enhanced my musical listening experience significantly with the X2. I had slight problems with the Vali, such as the noise floor (drown out once I start playing music though) and also microphonics.

I'm so excited to see that there it only has a 1.2ohm output impedance with the low gain switch. I shouldn't hear any background noise now with my X2 in theory. And the only doubt I have is about the sound signature of the Vali 2. I initially feared it would be even brighter than the magni 2, and it has apparently less or worse bass. I listen to EDM a lot so the low end is important to me, whcih was never a problem with the original Vali.

It seems that the Vali 2 is even better in the low and mid end based on your experiences. I'm actually really glad to hear this, and I'm now one step closer to pulling the trigger. Once more impressions come in, I'll most likely get them too if they are similar to your impressions.

Thanks!

Dec 15, 2015 at 9:44 AM Post #73 of 3,690
  Thanks, I think I have a better sense of how the Vali 2 sounds like now.

I will likely be getting this and pairing it with the Fidelio X2. Yes, the X2's are easy to drive, but I feel they come alive when paired with the vali compared to solid state amps like the magni 2  or onboard audio. The Vali enhanced my musical listening experience significantly with the X2. I had slight problems with the Vali, such as the noise floor (drown out once I start playing music though) and also microphonics.

I'm so excited to see that there it only has a 1.2ohm output impedance with the low gain switch. I shouldn't hear any background noise now with my X2 in theory. And the only doubt I have is about the sound signature of the Vali 2. I initially feared it would be even brighter than the magni 2, and it has apparently less or worse bass. I listen to EDM a lot so the low end is important to me, whcih was never a problem with the original Vali.

It seems that the Vali 2 is even better in the low and mid end based on your experiences. I'm actually really glad to hear this, and I'm now one step closer to pulling the trigger. Once more impressions come in, I'll most likely get them too if they are similar to your impressions.

Thanks!

I've got my X2's paired with an Asgard 2, which is solid. Should have the Vali 2 at the end of this week but won't be open to Christmas (gasp).

I'm looking forward to the comparison though.

Dec 15, 2015 at 1:55 PM Post #74 of 3,690
In all the hub bub with the new cans & the Vali 1 amp I forgot I ordered this about a month ago.It came in last night & I used it about 7 hours.Really nice & musical.Dead quite,really drives the HE-400i's.Swapped out the Chinese 6J1's for a perfectly matched pair of 1953 White Westinghouse 6AK5's, HUGE difference in soundstage & tonal colors.I put it up for sale but as long as I have it I will compare to the Vali 2...

Dec 15, 2015 at 9:08 PM Post #75 of 3,690
Looking forward to hd650+ vali2 impressions.

I will post my impression as soon as I can. Mine too is a bit of a Christmas present, so I am not 100% sure if my GF will let me play with it until Christmas eve...We'll see.
wink_face.gif

Has anybody else already started looking at tubes for this thing? I don't even have mine in hand yet, and already I have developed "tube lust" from reading and looking around.
very_evil_smiley.gif

A Telefunken E88CC / 6922 has got me drooling!!!
tongue_smile.gif
biggrin.gif

That tube costs as much as this amp does tough, so it may be hard to justify, especially on my budget. However, I am curious to see how well the Vali 2 takes to rolling. From my understanding, there are some pieces that will have dramatically altered sound when rolling tubes (like a completely different amp), while others have just a slight/subtle change from tube rolling.

bboris77: Thanks for the early review (the 1st for this amp?). Nice comparison to the original Vali as well, I am sure many here were looking for that exact comparison.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back