1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Official Schiit Vali 2 Thread

Discussion in 'Headphone Amps (full-size)' started by inseconds99, Dec 11, 2015.
First

Back
1 2 3 4 5
7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
Next

Last
  1. SomeGuyDude
    TBH I can't imagine the point of tube-rolling a $160 amp haha. You'd end up spending half that just on a single vintage (if not more), if you're gonna drop that kinda dosh might as well at least snag a Lyr or something.

2. painted klown
    Yeah, I was thinking the same thing, but still...I'll probably try some lower cost tubes to start with. Not sure about dropping $180+shipping for a single tube, just to see what it's like. LOL!

When reading the reviews for this tube, it seems many users are putting it in a Lyr 2 and loving it. I'm just overly excited to finally get a piece of tube gear. [​IMG]

3. Astral Abyss
    I wouldn't base the price of the amp on how much I was willing to spend on tubes.  For one, tubes are transitive, they can move beyond your current amp and take that sound you love with you to another tube amp and last you for a long time.  (Assuming you don't end up wearing them out)  They can transform something pedestrian into something extraordinary.  It's fun to do and fun to collect, as long as you don't get carried away.  You can always sell or trade them with other people with different tastes than yours if you don't like the ones you have.  

I have a Vali 1 and and Lyr 2.  I love the tube sound and I love collecting tubes.  I don't have a huge collection, but the ones I do have are easily worth over the price of both amps combined.  BUT... You don't have to spend a fortune either to get a nice collection of different sounding tubes.  There's still inexpensive NOS tubes out there, as well as current and reproduction tubes that sound pretty good.  Some of my cheapest purchases have the most fun sounds (my 1970s Amperex A-Frame 6DJ8 Orange Globes come to mind, as do my 70s Sylvania JAN 6922s as well, or pick up some cheap Russian Voskhod Rockets from @rb2013)

What you'll eventually find is a few tubes that you like best, and the rest just kind of sit around.  That's when you sell off the ones you don't like to either try some new ones or put some cash back in your pocket for other things you want.

Some people will tell you to just go for the expensive tubes first or you'll just waste a lot of time and money and end up there anyway.  Well, that's like skipping the whole story and just reading the last page.  It's how I got to where I'm at that gives me enjoyment.  And how would I even appreciate an "end game" tube if I haven't tried anything else?

And if you don't remember anything else, remember this: do some research first before buying any NOS tubes.  I wasted some money on junk a couple times on ebay when I was getting started because I thought I knew what I was doing, but I really didn't.  Doing the research is half the fun of collecting and doesn't cost a thing.

4. SomeGuyDude

I dunno, I find this dubious. The goal of buying this stuff is to get what you like. The goal of a story isn't the last page, it's the entire thing. You might as well tell someone not to buy good headphones but instead amass everything they can find. Tell them to buy dozens and dozens of amps before buying that "end game" one.

What gives me enjoyment is hearing music, not listening to tubes. The tubes/headphones/amps/etc are just a way to get music into my earholes. I won't appreciate the music any more just because I bought fifty things before my current setup as opposed to two. If anything, all that did was get in the way of me hearing my music the way I want to, hours and hours spent with gear that's not what I'm looking for.

If your journey through audiophilia is about listening to and appreciating the hardware, then I can agree. You're sampling all the various wares and hearing as many different setups as you can. If your journey is like mine, that what we purchase is merely a conduit to get music into our ears, then it absolutely is a waste of time and money to do anything but gun straight for what you believe will meet your desires.

Eee Pee and thisisaman like this.
  5. lvince95
    Unless a person has disposable income, I totally agree with you.

So far, it's been hard to find affordable dac/amps that can power low impedance headphones and IEMs well with a neutral to warm sound signature. Most of the affordable ones (M/M 2U, O2+ODAC, Aune X1S, etc.) are supposed to be neutral, but almost all of them actually make the sound brighter than what it is.

The Vali was  something I eyed, but the high output impedance did not work out for me. And with the Vali 2, it seems like I can tune the ound to get 'what I like' without breaking the bank. I definitely won't tube roll with a telefunken etc. Just cheaper tubes like matsu****a, or the current production 6922s. I've already done my research, and can't wait to hear some more impressions!

EDIT: matsu-shi-ta

scotvl likes this.
  6. Astral Abyss

Most people do amass a bunch of headphones, so nothing needs to be said there.  I was suggesting buying tubes as a cheaper alternative to buying a new amp or dac to get a different sound. You can go straight to the "end game" tubes and still not find what you like and end up wasting a ton of money.  Or you can leave the stock tube in there and just enjoy what you have.  Some do, some don't.  I was merely offering a path to folks who might want to try some different tubes and not have an idea where to start or where they might end up.

Your enjoyment isn't my enjoyment.  I like collecting tubes and so do a lot of other people, just as much as I like listening to my music.  To some of us, collecting and finding something new is more fun than "end game".  It seems presumptuous to claim its all about the music while arguing semantics on an audiophile website in the equipment forums.

scotvl and Angular Mo like this.
  7. SomeGuyDude

I didn't say that even remotely. I said there are different ways to do it and you were the one saying that someone "should" do it your way. The "journey" isn't the fun part for everyone, it's not like "skipping to the end of the book" for all of us.

Think of it like a vacation. Some people love the road trip and they'll happily pile in the car and drive for four days cross country, enjoying the sights en route. Some buy a plane ticket because they want as much time on the beach as possible. Same principle. Neither is wrong.

Also, protip: if you don't like them, they're not "end game". That's... kinda not how that phrase works. [​IMG] 

8. Mshenay
    hehe, I can happily say I owned a Millet Starving Student design! An my First Vali sounded better than it did, but it was a LOT of fun to own an roll tubes into 

Yeap, an I'm going to be comparing BOTH of them here in the next few days. I was able to grab a Demo from Both Schiit an Garage 1217! I'm looking forward to seeing how they differ my self! 

9. Deftone
    Im going to make a caomparison with the Vali 1 and then again for the Vali 2 without tube roll and then with (genalex gold lion)

10. Mshenay
    A Vali 1 vs vali1 would also be very cool, looking forward to it 

11. SomeGuyDude
    If anyone wants to donate a Vali 2 I'll happily give A/B impressions with EL-8's. XD

Just don't got the cash lately. But maaaaaan.

thebmc likes this.
  12. Tuneslover
    Interesting views and comments regarding tube amps and tube rolling (not to mention tube costs).  I have never owned any tube equipment (or really listened to any for that matter) but have always been curious and interested about introducing one to my audio collection.  The only thing that has held me back from purchasing one is the whole tube rolling "rabbit hole".  I really don't want to spend tons of money in search of the "right" tube.  Instead, I would like to think the stock tube that the amp comes with should be a satisfying representation of how the amp designer intended the unit to sound.  That being the case, I ask myself why roll tubes at all?  Maybe I'm stuck in a SS mentality, I don't know.  Granted, a tube amp DOES give one the option to experiment with "adjusting" the amps sound where that flexibility doesn't really exist with a SS amp.

In any event, the reasonably priced Vali2 has me intrigued.  But first I would like to hear Vali2 owners views and thoughts once they have had enough time with their units.

13. Astral Abyss

The stock 6BZ7 tube that the Vali 2 comes with is a good, fun tube.  It has a satisfying tube sound.  I would imagine that the reason they use that tube is that it's an easy to find NOS tube that doesn't cost much.  You can pick them up on ebay for $5-10, sometimes less as a quad.  Since Schiit needs access to a reliable source of 100s of the same tube and want to keep the costs of the amp down, that's a good way to do it.  They use the same stock tubes in the Lyr and Gungnir. 

ScubaMan2017 likes this.
  14. sheldaze

I've heard the EL-8 is greatly assisted by tubes, so that will be one of the first headphones I try tomorrow (assuming Vali 2 arrives per USPS projected schedule).

15. lvince95
    Looking forward to your impressions! I'm either gonna blow my cash on a Modi2U/Vali2 stack, or wait for the next Grace m9xx drop depending on how impressions go. For my low impedance cans I'm looking for a neutral-warm sound signature that is detailed but also doesn't sacrifice the bass (I listen to EDM only), but unfortunately there are not many within my budget based on what I've read (~$400-500 total for new DAC+AMP). Most SS amps seem to be neutral-bright and lean on the bass like the Modi/Magni2U or Aune X1s. On the other hand, most tube amps won't go well with the low impedance cans I have (Philips X2, Fostex TH-X00 etc).

The Grace m9xx is appealing for sure, but I've read that some are disappointed with the bass extension. Wondering if the Vali 2 will deliver, without overpriced tubes.

First

Back
1 2 3 4 5
7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
Next

Last