Official Schiit Vali 2 Thread
Dec 16, 2015 at 1:31 PM Post #91 of 3,690
  The Grace m9xx is appealing for sure, but I've read that some are disappointed with the bass extension. Wondering if the Vali 2 will deliver, without overpriced tubes.

m9xx is lean - intentionally so. It is not under-powered (IMHO), however when listening to it at a mini-meet this past weekend, people preferred the bass on Meier Audio Corda Rock.

At the meet, I fed the Corda Rock input from my m9xx. And I'll be using m9xx the same as the DAC for my Vali 2, to see if I get similar or even more warmth from the tubes.

Dec 16, 2015 at 2:27 PM Post #92 of 3,690
  Looking forward to your impressions! I'm either gonna blow my cash on a Modi2U/Vali2 stack, or wait for the next Grace m9xx drop depending on how impressions go. For my low impedance cans I'm looking for a neutral-warm sound signature that is detailed but also doesn't sacrifice the bass (I listen to EDM only), but unfortunately there are not many within my budget based on what I've read (~$400-500 total for new DAC+AMP). Most SS amps seem to be neutral-bright and lean on the bass like the Modi/Magni2U or Aune X1s. On the other hand, most tube amps won't go well with the low impedance cans I have (Philips X2, Fostex TH-X00 etc).

The Grace m9xx is appealing for sure, but I've read that some are disappointed with the bass extension. Wondering if the Vali 2 will deliver, without overpriced tubes.

The old Magni Vali 1/1 combo was great for like $250ish dollars [with shipping] with the Magni 2 an Vali 2 at around $350 ish [with shipping] it'll be nice to see what the newer generation brings :D 

m9xx is lean - intentionally so. It is not under-powered (IMHO), however when listening to it at a mini-meet this past weekend, people preferred the bass on Meier Audio Corda Rock.

At the meet, I fed the Corda Rock input from my m9xx. And I'll be using m9xx the same as the DAC for my Vali 2, to see if I get similar or even more warmth from the tubes.

Nice I'll be looking to hear your impressions! 

Dec 16, 2015 at 2:34 PM Post #93 of 3,690

Looking forward to it! I'll be researching about the corda rock in the meantime, thanks for widening my options.

Quote:
  The old Magni Vali 1/1 combo was great for like $250ish dollars [with shipping] with the Magni 2 an Vali 2 at around $350 ish [with shipping] it'll be nice to see what the newer generation brings :D 

Yup, they are a great deal for sure! But the Vali 1 was too noisy when I tried it with my cans, and magni 2 Uber was too bright for my preferences. I'm mainly looking for an amp that is more neutral-warmish and good bass without breaking the bank. The Vali 2 might just be ideal for me.

Dec 16, 2015 at 2:38 PM Post #94 of 3,690
  Yup, they are a great deal for sure! But the Vali 1 was too noisy when I tried it with my cans, and magni 2 Uber was too bright for my preferences. I'm mainly looking for an amp that is more neutral-warmish and good bass without breaking the bank. The Vali 2 might just be ideal for me.

yea the Vali 1 was finnicky, anything that was 250 ohms or higher sounded nice with it, assuming you didn't bump into it. 

The 2 is speced for a wider range of headphones

Dec 16, 2015 at 5:49 PM Post #95 of 3,690

Vali 2 has arrived!!!
smily_headphones1.gif

I took some quick pics and am now listening.
cool.gif

Dec 16, 2015 at 6:13 PM Post #98 of 3,690
Dec 16, 2015 at 6:29 PM Post #100 of 3,690
Hey all, I wanted to post a pic of the Vali 2 in action with my Sennheiser HD-650.

Ok, some quick initial thoughts, as I listen to NIrvana "Nevermind" (MFSL CD pressing ripped to ALAC)

I am running Foobar2k, wasapi out USB (generic cable) to an Emotiva DC-1 (DAC), then from the DC-1 line out I am using Monoprice RCA cables to the Vali 2. Senn HD-650 is hooked up via the stock cable.

First thing I noticed, and something I must mention, is that I am pleasantly surprised with the build quality of the Vali 2. Everything seems super solid on it. No wobbling knobs, weak feeling RCA jacks, etc. Only the headphone input has a slight bit of wiggle. Expected at this price point, however, so no complaints.

There are no tracking issues, noise, scratches, or odd sounds when turning the volume pot. The only thing is that it's not 100% "squared up", so it's a little off kilter when turned. Same with the headphone out jack. It sits in the Vali at a slight angle, but nothing that's a deal breaker for the price paid.

I am not sure what I was expecting, but I assumed from reading around that there would have been for fit & finish issues. Other than the two off kilter items mentioned, there is nothing at all that would cause my OCD audiophile nervosa to flare up.
biggrin.gif

Before moving on, I want to mention the weight. Due to the small size of the amp, I was a bit worried about the amp being easily slid around my desk by the cabling dangling from it. It is heavier than I expected, but not heavy enough to belie its size. However, with the feet attached, this amp has a very solid footing on my desk that would take a fairly hefty tug to cause it to move (such as plugging/unpluggging headphones).

Upon opening the box, I was a bit surprised to see that the tube was not installed. I guess I should have known better, but that meant I immediately HAD to learn how to install a tube!!! 
eek.gif

The tube itself is smaller and MUCH lighter than I imagined it would be. I guess, in my mind, I imagined tubes to weigh more. Light as a feather, darn near as light as the bubble wrap & box it came in.
tongue.gif
Also, and I feel I must make note of this, the tube looks old and dirty IMO. I am sure it's NOS as Schiit states, but it looks used to me. Perhaps all NOS tubes look that way, I have no clue...

Anyway, back to my tube installation. Happily, the design of the pins on the tube do not allow you to incorrectly insert it, so that was a definite plus for me. On the downside, I was not sure how hard I could push down on the tube without accidentally damaging it or my new amp. I pushed down very slowly, and just a hair at a time. To tell you the truth, I am not 100% sure I have it seated in there as far as it should be, but when I nervously fired it up, it came right on and started glowing with no issue. For now, I think I will leave it alone.
redface.gif

I will do another post for initial listening impressions...getting tired of typing and want to listen more attentively now that it should be warmed up.

More to come...

Dec 16, 2015 at 7:14 PM Post #103 of 3,690
Hey all, I wanted to post a pic of the Vali 2 in action with my Sennheiser HD-650.

Ok, some quick initial thoughts, as I listen to NIrvana "Nevermind" (MFSL CD pressing ripped to ALAC)

I am running Foobar2k, wasapi out USB (generic cable) to an Emotiva DC-1 (DAC), then from the DC-1 line out I am using Monoprice RCA cables to the Vali 2. Senn HD-650 is hooked up via the stock cable.

First thing I noticed, and something I must mention, is that I am pleasantly surprised with the build quality of the Vali 2. Everything seems super solid on it. No wobbling knobs, weak feeling RCA jacks, etc. Only the headphone input has a slight bit of wiggle. Expected at this price point, however, so no complaints.

There are no tracking issues, noise, scratches, or odd sounds when turning the volume pot. The only thing is that it's not 100% "squared up", so it's a little off kilter when turned. Same with the headphone out jack. It sits in the Vali at a slight angle, but nothing that's a deal breaker for the price paid.

I am not sure what I was expecting, but I assumed from reading around that there would have been for fit & finish issues. Other than the two off kilter items mentioned, there is nothing at all that would cause my OCD audiophile nervosa to flare up. :D

Before moving on, I want to mention the weight. Due to the small size of the amp, I was a bit worried about the amp being easily slid around my desk by the cabling dangling from it. It is heavier than I expected, but not heavy enough to belie its size. However, with the feet attached, this amp has a very solid footing on my desk that would take a fairly hefty tug to cause it to move (such as plugging/unpluggging headphones).

Upon opening the box, I was a bit surprised to see that the tube was not installed. I guess I should have known better, but that meant I immediately HAD to learn how to install a tube!!! :eek:

The tube itself is smaller and MUCH lighter than I imagined it would be. I guess, in my mind, I imagined tubes to weigh more. Light as a feather, darn near as light as the bubble wrap & box it came in. :p Also, and I feel I must make note of this, the tube looks old and dirty IMO. I am sure it's NOS as Schiit states, but it looks used to me. Perhaps all NOS tubes look that way, I have no clue...

Anyway, back to my tube installation. Happily, the design of the pins on the tube do not allow you to incorrectly insert it, so that was a definite plus for me. On the downside, I was not sure how hard I could push down on the tube without accidentally damaging it or my new amp. I pushed down very slowly, and just a hair at a time. To tell you the truth, I am not 100% sure I have it seated in there as far as it should be, but when I nervously fired it up, it came right on and started glowing with no issue. For now, I think I will leave it alone. :xf_eek:

I will do another post for initial listening impressions...getting tired of typing and want to listen more attentively now that it should be warmed up.

More to come...

Tubes are meant to be firmly seated. So push pretty hard. They have survived for a long time with Russian mechanics whacking them into spaceships.

Dec 16, 2015 at 7:47 PM Post #104 of 3,690
Have you listened to the Valhalla2? When you post more details, are you able to compare to that?

Thanks

I am not sure what I was expecting, but I assumed from reading around that there would have been for fit & finish issues. Other than the two off kilter items mentioned, there is nothing at all that would cause my OCD audiophile nervosa to flare up. :D

Upon opening the box, I was a bit surprised to see that the tube was not installed. I guess I should have known better, but that meant I immediately HAD to learn how to install a tube!!! :eek:

The tube itself is smaller and MUCH lighter than I imagined it would be. I guess, in my mind, I imagined tubes to weigh more. Light as a feather, darn near as light as the bubble wrap & box it came in. :p Also, and I feel I must make note of this, the tube looks old and dirty IMO. I am sure it's NOS as Schiit states, but it looks used to me. Perhaps all NOS tubes look that way, I have no clue...

Anyway, back to my tube installation. Happily, the design of the pins on the tube do not allow you to incorrectly insert it, so that was a definite plus for me. On the downside, I was not sure how hard I could push down on the tube without accidentally damaging it or my new amp. I pushed down very slowly, and just a hair at a time. To tell you the truth, I am not 100% sure I have it seated in there as far as it should be, but when I nervously fired it up, it came right on and started glowing with no issue. For now, I think I will leave it alone. :xf_eek:

More to come...

Dec 16, 2015 at 7:57 PM Post #105 of 3,690
  from thread: "not a warm amp"
I guess one could tube roll.
But I don't like getting a bright and aggressive amp and than tube rolling to compensate. Doesn't make much sense to me.
I guess I'm out.  All my headphones are on the bright side.

Got mine today.  I would not call it a bright and aggressive amp.  Clean and clear comes to mind.  I am using the HD650s and the GOV2 Infinity, which is apparently a touch warmer than neutral.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back