Official Schiit Vali 2 Thread
Feb 7, 2016 at 8:28 AM Post #886 of 3,690
Feb 7, 2016 at 8:37 AM Post #887 of 3,690
  I get the same noise-not every time though.

My Garage amps make a similar sound- I assume it's normal and due to a safety or warm up circuit switch.

I own 2 other pieces of audio gear with a timing circuit that has a delay for 30-45 seconds to let the tube stabilize. This is more of a very low level 'ping' sound when a relay opens. Is this a relay you are hearing?

Feb 7, 2016 at 9:01 AM Post #888 of 3,690

I own 2 other pieces of audio gear with a timing circuit that has a delay for 30-45 seconds to let the tube stabilize. This is more of a very low level 'ping' sound when a relay opens. Is this a relay you are hearing?

I think so.
It's interesting that Ember takes about 10-15 seconds longer than Horizon and Starlight to 'ping' and that probably represents the extra time it takes for Ember to auto bias the tube.

Feb 7, 2016 at 11:53 PM Post #890 of 3,690
Now I'm certainly not a tube amplifier expert or tube rolling expert but I must say that the stock Sylvania tube is a pretty good sounding tube. Shortly after receiving my V2 and reading about the enthusiastic remarks about the JJ and EH tubes I dashed out and purchased them. Initial impressions were good but a bit muddy sounding (especially the EH) but terrific warm bass. Something sounded just a bit off as I rolled between the JJ and EH so I decided to roll the stock tube back in and I was rewarded with a very nice 3 dimensional sound with terrific instrument separation. The bass was tight and deep. Definitely not as warm sounding as the other 2 tubes but the Sylvania was much more balanced sounding and to me a personally engaging and satisfying sound. I don't understand how others have considered it as boring sounding, quite the opposite to my aging (dare I say it, experienced) ears. Good choice Schiit!

Feb 8, 2016 at 2:40 AM Post #891 of 3,690
Now I'm certainly not a tube amplifier expert or tube rolling expert but I must say that the stock Sylvania tube is a pretty good sounding tube. Shortly after receiving my V2 and reading about the enthusiastic remarks about the JJ and EH tubes I dashed out and purchased them. Initial impressions were good but a bit muddy sounding (especially the EH) but terrific warm bass. Something sounded just a bit off as I rolled between the JJ and EH so I decided to roll the stock tube back in and I was rewarded with a very nice 3 dimensional sound with terrific instrument separation. The bass was tight and deep. Definitely not as warm sounding as the other 2 tubes but the Sylvania was much more balanced sounding and to me a personally engaging and satisfying sound. I don't understand how others have considered it as boring sounding, quite the opposite to my aging (dare I say it, experienced) ears. Good choice Schiit!

Mine is made in Italy and that's all it says. It's quite good.
I was initially surprised that Schiit was putting different stock tubes into the Vali2 but it has certainly stimulated tube rolling discussion and that's a good thing.

Feb 8, 2016 at 7:46 AM Post #892 of 3,690
My stock tube says:

Sylvania jh
Made in USA   ABL

It also has the Sylvania "shield with an S and a lightning bolt" logo on it.

I thought it sounded pretty bad actually, worse than my cans straight out of my iphone, certainly worse than other amps.

Seems like there might be a lot of variation in the stock-supplied tubes.

Feb 8, 2016 at 8:18 AM Post #893 of 3,690
  My stock tube says:

Sylvania jh
Made in USA   ABL

I thought it sounded pretty bad actually, worse than my cans straight out of my iphone, certainly worse than other amps.

+1

I got the same stock tube. It was rather dissappointing, to say the least ...

Feb 8, 2016 at 8:27 AM Post #894 of 3,690
My stock tube says:

Sylvania jh
Made in USA   ABL

My stock tube has Sylvania 6BQ7A, Made in U.S.A. and no logo on it.

Incidentally, I burned in each of my tubes for a straight 25 hours of music playing before rolling them in for regular listening enjoyment. I estimate that I have at least 50 total hours on each tube by now.

Feb 8, 2016 at 1:32 PM Post #895 of 3,690
Just got my Modi 2 Uber and my Vali 2 and burning right now the stock tube with my HD600.

I have a (maybe stupid) question. When turning on my setup which one of the DAC or the amp should I turn on first? Maybe it doesn't matter at all...

Second question: I used to have a Aune T1 and the light in the tube became white 15-20 seconds after turning the device on. Here with Vali 2 the light remains orange. Is it the same with yours? Thanks for the help again!

Feb 8, 2016 at 4:29 PM Post #896 of 3,690
  Just got my Modi 2 Uber and my Vali 2 and burning right now the stock tube with my HD600.

I have a (maybe stupid) question. When turning on my setup which one of the DAC or the amp should I turn on first? Maybe it doesn't matter at all...

Second question: I used to have a Aune T1 and the light in the tube became white 15-20 seconds after turning the device on. Here with Vali 2 the light remains orange. Is it the same with yours? Thanks for the help again!

After I bought my DACs and AMPs I contacted Schiit support about whether I should turn off the DAC (as I would with the amp) or if it's ok to leave it on.  They said it won't hurt the DAC if it's just left on all the time.

Feb 8, 2016 at 5:45 PM Post #898 of 3,690
Second question: I used to have a Aune T1 and the light in the tube became white 15-20 seconds after turning the device on. Here with Vali 2 the light remains orange.

Every tube I've ever seen glows orange. I have seen some companies put LED's under a tube and you can see the LED through it. If your tube is glowing white, as in white hot, then you could have an issue with the amp or tube

Feb 9, 2016 at 4:57 AM Post #899 of 3,690
Can anyone compare this to the little dot 1+ or mk2

I find both can be very good, the sound depending on the tubes chosen but they have different adjustments and tweaks. The LD has a totally quiet background with no hum but does require two tubes to change each time you roll. It's also heavy and takes up more space. The tweaks involve removing the bottom plate so are not so readily accessible, but there are more of them.
The LD is great value but if you have a problem in the UK it has to go back to China.
Both are great introductions to the world of tube amps.

Feb 9, 2016 at 5:51 AM Post #900 of 3,690
I find both can be very good, the sound depending on the tubes chosen but they have different adjustments and tweaks. The LD has a totally quiet background with no hum but does require two tubes to change each time you roll. It's also heavy and takes up more space. The tweaks involve removing the bottom plate so are not so readily accessible, but there are more of them.
The LD is great value but if you have a problem in the UK it has to go back to China.
Both are great introductions to the world of tube amps.
What would you recommend ? Both little dots are $140 . I have Phillips fidelio x2s. I listen to hip hop and alternative. What would recommend for me?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back