Official Schiit Vali 2 Thread
Feb 3, 2016 at 8:27 PM Post #859 of 3,690

I have both, The Valhalla 2 has a wider wider sound stage which is pretty noticeable when using speakers. And I find the valhalla 2 it to have better detail and layering. I don't want to comment on the mid's and highs etc because tubes can change that. The Vali 2 was not meant as a Valhalla replacement and it is not. But it sure as hell gets close. The Vali 2 is no slouch. I really enjoy the Vali 2. I mean a lot. I lent it to rmoody who has an Asgard 2 in his main setup with some shiny new Ether C's and he did not want to give the Vali 2 back. I think that speaks volumes.

The one tube thing, be careful. its like a gateway drug. Its only one tube to roll now.  the next thing you know you have 8 different ones on your list to try.

So even you use pre-amp outputs of both amps, there are still noticeable differences?  I am using bimby that connects directly to power monitors right now. I am planning to get a pair of headphones and an amp. If I use Vali 2 as an headphone amp / pre-amp for speakers, will it make my speakers setup sound stage narrower and mask some detail? Just curious.
blink.gif

Feb 4, 2016 at 2:48 AM Post #860 of 3,690
So, I received the Vali 2 yesterday, and it worked wonderfully. Smoothed out a lot of the harshness in songs that needed it, but didn't really touch the songs that didn't need smoothening out. After turning it off, I tried to turn it on again today. No luck. The tube stopped warming up, but the front LED still powered on. No audio was coming through. I checked all the connections and checked my DAC's headphone-out as well. Everything else was working. Did I somehow burn out the tube? I noticed that the tube wasn't really secure in its socket yesterday, no matter how much I tried to secure it. Is this another possibility as to what's wrong? I don't know a whole lot about tube amps in general, so I thought that it might've been just a thing with tube amps in general.

Edit: I think it was the seating. I pressed down harder just now and the tube lit up.

Feb 4, 2016 at 3:28 AM Post #863 of 3,690
The Vali 2 is also my first tube amp, and at first I was babying the tubes. I'm still careful with them, but I'm not as scared to handle them anymore.

I also got a socket saver from Tube Monger, which seats very nicely into the original socket and makes changing tubes much, much easier.

Feb 4, 2016 at 3:34 AM Post #864 of 3,690
  The Vali 2 is also my first tube amp, and at first I was babying the tubes. I'm still careful with them, but I'm not as scared to handle them anymore.

I also got a socket saver from Tube Monger, which seats very nicely into the original socket and makes changing tubes much, much easier.

I was told that the reason the Russian and Chinese military preferred tubes in their equipment is because they are strong enough to withstand a nuclear bomb!

Feb 4, 2016 at 4:13 AM Post #866 of 3,690

Congratulations.

The Vali 2 is a good match with the HD650.

HD650 pairs very well with my new Vali 2.  Probably better than my Magni 2 Uber did, though I no longer have that amp to do a direct A/B test.  I'm still deciding on if my 400i pairs as well as it did with my Magni.

Feb 4, 2016 at 7:47 AM Post #870 of 3,690

Users who are viewing this thread

Back