*Official Schiit Magni/Modi 2 ( Uber ) Thread*
Jul 20, 2016 at 5:01 PM Post #1,983 of 2,577
Just saying if you're on the fence about getting a Modi 2, get the Uber. Schiit started putting the 4490 DAC chip in it but not the non-uber. I just got mine in and I'm still deciding how I like it.

Jul 21, 2016 at 11:21 AM Post #1,985 of 2,577
  What do I need to purchase for my Magni 2? Anything I need to buy along with them?

If you don't have the necessary audio interconnect cables for its input, you will have to purchase them. If you are using its preamp out, you might need interconnects for that as well. You don't have to spend a lot of money to get cables that work perfectly fine. The Magni comes with a power adapter, so you don't need any power cords.

Jul 21, 2016 at 8:02 PM Post #1,986 of 2,577
I just went through this entire thread. 

This is what I call a lot of Schiit. 

I ordered the HD600 two days ago, coming back to the hobby, and have decided to try a lot of Schiit, kind of as a research (that how i rationalize the coming spending spree). I am travelling to the USA, NYC, only to try a lot of audio gear. So, the plan is to order now the Magni 2 Uber, and then a few days before september 15th, the day Im arriving at NYC, order the Asgard 2 and Valhalla 2, probably with the HD650, to make some extensive comparison between all of them, to keep what Iike the most. I haven't ordered the Magni 2 uber because I ordered the HD600 bundled with a gift card that I planned to use to pay for the amp, and I will receive tomorrow. 

I feel tempted to go all the way to the HD800, but in all honesty I feel much better putting that kind of money into my also upcoming speaker upgrade (thinking about Klipsch palladium bookshelf - A rated by stereophile). But who knows, maybe I can convince my cousin to get it just to try it and if it impresses me enough as to pay 1300, I might keep it and come back to DR and sell a kidney, as cool people do. But I am not holding my breath, because flagship models are luxury items, far, very far from good value. 

I am leaving the DACs out of the question because if i include them now I would have to sell the kidney now, and I am not into that. 

Last night I connected my Behringer q502USB mixer and was surprised by its power and clarity with my Hd595.I looked it up and they are rated at 170mW into 300ohms, so I suppose they should be quite decent with my new HD600 tomorrow when they get here. I am using the mixer with my Yamaha Rx-V675 as DAC. The DAC in the mixer was extremely bright and sibilant. The DAC in the Yamaha 675 seems to be extremely flat, to the point that I find most music very boring, except jazz. What I find lacking from the mixer is the soundstage. I had a long time without using my headphones (last night I realized that most of it has been because my receiver has a ludicrous headphone output), but I do remember taking my Hd595 off often because sounds seemed to come from outside, as if there were speakers in the room. Not with this mixer. Everything is right there coming from the drivers. Very clean, flat, but boring. I think the limitation now are the headphones, but I might be wrong.

I will be ordering the magni 2 u tomorrow, from amazon, so I will probably have it here next tuesday. The first contender to the magni 2 uber is going to be my surprisingly powerful and dirt cheap Behringer Q502USB mixer. It should be an interesting journey.

Does any of you think I should go to the Valhalla 2 and be over with it or do you think I should start small and do my research with the HD600??

In the end, I just want to have great sound, and in the process learn about the hobby and the impact of electronics in it. 

Jul 22, 2016 at 2:07 AM Post #1,987 of 2,577
1. Theoretically, the best posibke audio is from hdmi, and then from optical, and then from usb, and finally from the headphone out.

My understanding is that HDMI is singularly poorly suited for high-fidelity audio. While it does Error Correction (contrary to other interfaces), it's prone to jitter among other things. Jason in particular has indicated Schiit's aversion to this interface:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/701900/schiit-happened-the-story-of-the-worlds-most-improbable-start-up/8775#post_12092764
  Also, look into how HDMI handles audio data, and your hair will stand on end. It is absolutely the worst method for transmitting audio--far worse than Toslink optical, possibly worse than out-of-date isosynchronous USB 1.1 protocols. I mean, really, astoundingly bad.

Jul 23, 2016 at 8:26 PM Post #1,992 of 2,577
I'm looking at the Schiit Stack Magni 2 Uber and Modi 2 Uber. Will I have to have two AC adapters to plugged in for it to work? I'm using it to power akg q701s, but I'm worried about the amount of ports i'll need.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back