*Official Schiit Magni/Modi 2 ( Uber ) Thread*
Jul 3, 2016 at 9:14 PM Post #1,952 of 2,577
  So i did the test to see wether i have new 4490 chip and i think i do, Modi is only shown in windows when switch is turned on. 

Question: Is the wobbly/loose/noisy input button normal on Modi 2 Uber? Read a report that someone had a wobbly one returned it and got a new 4490 version that has a tight non-loose button. just curious im sure its nothing to worry about. thanks!

I have the new 4490 version of the Modi 2 Uber. The button is the same as the previous version. Rumors of a changed button are untrue.
And the button, regardless of how loose or wobbly as people may describe it, works.

That report was probably from me if it was on Reddit. My button is most definitely changed. It's tight, secure and not at all wobbly. I find it odd that some models have a new button while others don't.

Jul 3, 2016 at 9:34 PM Post #1,953 of 2,577

That report was probably from me if it was on Reddit. My button is most definitely changed. It's tight, secure and not at all wobbly. I find it odd that some models have a new button while others don't.

Sheldaze's 4490 button is looser than my old 4396's Schiit button. I think it's just luck of the draw but it works so who cares.

Jul 6, 2016 at 12:50 PM Post #1,954 of 2,577
Hello there ! Does anybody have a picture of the new Modi 2 Uber (AK4490) insights showing the PCB ? I had a hard time finding any.
Schiit usually uploads photos of the boards in their website, but this one is the exception. 

Jul 7, 2016 at 6:15 PM Post #1,959 of 2,577
i have it but never had old chip, from everywhere i've read people say the most common "its fuller, more detailed, better soundstage, and better bass" apparently.

Jul 8, 2016 at 1:57 AM Post #1,960 of 2,577
I just got the CEntrance DacPort Slim from the latest Massdrop. It has the 4490 chip like the new modi 2 uber. My modi 2 uber has the older chip (cant remember the number) I might be able to compare the two since the DacPort has a line out mode with the volume maxed in high-gain mode. Just need to find a high quality 3.5mm to RCA cable so I can hook it up to my Vali 2. The amp inside the DacPort is really nice (Class A) but its obviously missing that tube sound of the Vali 2. Overall this thing is pretty ridiculous for how small it is. It's barely bigger than a bic lighter, and it can run straight off my Galaxy S5 with a usb otg cable. 

Jul 8, 2016 at 2:57 AM Post #1,961 of 2,577
Switching back and forth between the DacPort Slim and the Vali2/Modi2Uber using my HD650s. Bass and midrange are noticeably better on the Schiit combo. Haven't had enough time with the DacPort yet to comment on the sound-stage and space, but the bass/mids are pretty noticeable right away. Too bad the Schiit combo doesn't fit in my pocket lol

Jul 9, 2016 at 12:35 PM Post #1,962 of 2,577
My Magni 2 Uber sounds nothing different than Fiio E10K lineout but louder with volume control.

My headphone is ATH R70X, when plugging my R70x to Dac/amp (E10K + Magni 2 Uber), R70x sounds nothing different than plugging to E10K lineout.

It's sounds like unamped R70x with slightly grainny/ sibilance upper range, the sound also slightly dry and unnatural.

I feel like the Magni 2 Uber has done nothing to my headphone except makes it louder.

I'm using an 220v to 110v converter to power the M2U's 110v adapter. Don't know if this is the problems? That the converter is not having enough power/voltage to make the Magni works propertly.

Jul 9, 2016 at 1:04 PM Post #1,963 of 2,577
  My Magni 2 Uber sounds nothing different than Fiio E10K lineout but louder with volume control.

My headphone is ATH R70X, when plugging my R70x to Dac/amp (E10K + Magni 2 Uber), R70x sounds nothing different than plugging to E10K lineout.

It's sounds like unamped R70x with slightly grainny/ sibilance upper range, the sound also slightly dry and unnatural.

I feel like the Magni 2 Uber has done nothing to my headphone except makes it louder.

I'm using an 220v to 110v converter to power the M2U's 110v adapter. Don't know if this is the problems? That the converter is not having enough power/voltage to make the Magni works propertly.

I think a good amplifier is one that does not add anything to the sound coming from the Dac. And this amp should have anough power to driver most headphones :)
The 220 to 110 converter really affects the sound quality. I changed my old converter ( which outputs 110v/5a) to the new one (110v/20a) for my amp and it made a big leap on the sound quality. But that amp was the Mjolnir so i have no idea about the Magni 2 which requires much less power to work and uses a wallwart.

Jul 9, 2016 at 8:18 PM Post #1,964 of 2,577
I think a good amplifier is one that does not add anything to the sound coming from the Dac. And this amp should have anough power to driver most headphones :)
The 220 to 110 converter really affects the sound quality. I changed my old converter ( which outputs 110v/5a) to the new one (110v/20a) for my amp and it made a big leap on the sound quality. But that amp was the Mjolnir so i have no idea about the Magni 2 which requires much less power to work and uses a wallwart.
Thanks, I will give it a try.
Btw in the worst case scenario the Magni2U really doesn't add anything to my drive my 470 ohms R70x, I could be live without it (i would be sell it).
Even if unamped (without M2U connected) I could get quite loud enough volume with E10k's out. When M2U plugged, its almost improve nothing in terms of sound quality except louder volume

Users who are viewing this thread

Back