*Official Schiit Magni/Modi 2 ( Uber ) Thread*
Jul 12, 2016 at 3:37 AM Post #1,966 of 2,577
Should I unplug my headphones before I turn off the amp?

Should I plug the headphones after I turn on the amp (after waiting those 8 second for the tick)?

There's actually no need for that. If you listen carefully, you will hear the click also when turning the power off (but with no delay).

Those clicks are the built-in muting relay effectively plugging and unplugging your headphones for you.

Personally I just leave the headphones plugged in all the time..

Jul 12, 2016 at 4:52 AM Post #1,967 of 2,577
Hi all,

I have an O2/ODAC with RCA preamp out, can I connect it to the magni and enjoy the power of the latter (x2 that of O2)? Is there any downside to this?

Besides the obvious modi pairing, is there any good dac that goes well with the magni?

Sorry for the noob questions! I'm new to audio equipment.

Also, I'm looking for a modi/magni stack, check my classifieds :)

Cheers,

Jul 12, 2016 at 2:55 PM Post #1,968 of 2,577
Hi all,

I have an O2/ODAC with RCA preamp out, can I connect it to the magni and enjoy the power of the latter (x2 that of O2)? Is there any downside to this?

You can certainly connect the ODAC to the Magni without issue.

Connecting an amp to another amp (or "double amping") is generally frowned upon, unless it's a pre-amp to a power-amp (or powered speakers).

Jul 12, 2016 at 3:16 PM Post #1,970 of 2,577
Is it a combined O2/ODAC in a single case?
Anyway, if you can get the unmapped signal from the ODAC out of it that would be the best (if there are connectors unaffected by the volume control that would be it). If not, well I guess it would work anyway even if it's not optimal. Just be careful with the volume controls. :)

Jul 12, 2016 at 3:30 PM Post #1,971 of 2,577
Yes it is a single enclosure. The preamp out is of course regulated by the volume control, hence it's preamp and not DAC line out. So is this the same as double amping?

And what should I do when connecting the magni? Max volume on 1x gain on the O2/ODAC and only use the magni for volume control?

Jul 13, 2016 at 2:42 AM Post #1,972 of 2,577
Hi !  sorry to jump in with a question that maybe has been already answered
redface.gif

Has anyone compared Magni 2 plain and Uber versions ? 

However, I got my Magni 2 plain with a cheap Chinese wallwart not original (it is for european 230VAC).
Yesterday I have connected a R-core 15VAC/15VA  voltage transformer (actually only one secondary of a 30VA unit).
Maybe it is me but the noise has gone down quite evidently.

Another question. 
Is there a DC servo on the board to null the offset ?  because I do not see any trimmer ...
rolleyes.gif

I am thinking to buy some Muse electrolytic caps and place them in the rectification stage.

Thanks a lot again,   gino

Jul 13, 2016 at 5:43 AM Post #1,973 of 2,577
There's actually no need for that. If you listen carefully, you will hear the click also when turning the power off (but with no delay).

Those clicks are the built-in muting relay effectively plugging and unplugging your headphones for you.

Personally I just leave the headphones plugged in all the time..

Thanks

Jul 13, 2016 at 6:05 PM Post #1,974 of 2,577
Yes it is a single enclosure. The preamp out is of course regulated by the volume control, hence it's preamp and not DAC line out. So is this the same as double amping?

Yes, believe it would be.

And what should I do when connecting the magni? Max volume on 1x gain on the O2/ODAC and only use the magni for volume control?

I have never tried to do this myself, so I don't know what is best, but.. I would try leaving the O2 on 1x gain and set its volume to a setting that gives me a comfortable listening level with the Magni volume control at or about 10 o'clock or so on the knob, for an average piece of music. That way it's easy to adjust volume with just the Magni volume control (someone more knowledgeable please chime in if I'm totally off beat here..)

Jul 16, 2016 at 10:13 PM Post #1,975 of 2,577
I just wanted to say that I got a pair of HD800 and schiit stack. So far I am very pleased, going from ie 80 and from PC 350 Special Edition is another world.

However i have to ask if people have any advice on how to set up Modi 2 on linux to have better experience. Windows makes this quite easy. Thanks.

Jul 18, 2016 at 10:36 AM Post #1,976 of 2,577
I just wanted to say that I got a pair of HD800 and schiit stack. So far I am very pleased, going from ie 80 and from PC 350 Special Edition is another world.

However i have to ask if people have any advice on how to set up Modi 2 on linux to have better experience. Windows makes this quite easy. Thanks.

I have a quedtion for you. How much improvement you get from the stack?? I understand the HD800 is quite impressive regardlesd of what they are connected to. What do you think?

Jul 18, 2016 at 4:01 PM Post #1,977 of 2,577
I have a quedtion for you. How much improvement you get from the stack?? I understand the HD800 is quite impressive regardlesd of what they are connected to. What do you think?

Well when i got my HD 800 my only dac/amp was Numark Mixtrack Pro 3, then after 2 days i got schiit stack. From what I can tell is that schiit stack is more powerful and it has more definitions. For me Numark was not as neutral as schiit stack and to my ears Numark sounded a bit dull, and music was kind of washed out. Both are quite and I had no problem even when i tried a 3m long USB cable. I believe that for a DAC 99% if the time you don't meed more than Modi 2, you can go with a Uber version if you need more connectivity (I use them only with my PC). As for AMP you can go with Magni 2 Uber if you want more power, the sound is very clear and neutral. The only drawback is that HD800 are super bright and they dont lie when it comes to producing sound, a tube amp can solve the issue with brightness from what i read in the forum here but for me it is not a problem as I was looking for a neutral AMP. 

So far I like them a lot and for me this is probably the end game. I might decide to get a tube amp and softer up a bit the sound but that's it for me. I might be wrong but this is my opinion after 1 week of using schiit stack  and HD800. If I ever want to get a tube amp I will start with DarkVoice 336SE.

I can not setup a A/B comparison and I am using a Sager NP8652.

I hope it helped. let me know if you wanna know more.

Jul 19, 2016 at 2:26 PM Post #1,978 of 2,577
I am very new to headphone amps and am close to ordering the Modi 2 Uber and Magni 2 Uber combination.

My source connection is a Apple iMac computer and am using iTunes for playing Media.

Please may I ask for the best possible audio quality how should I connect the Apple iMac:
(1) USB or (2) Optical. I understand the headphone output port is also an Optical port?

Thank you if anyone can help answer this question above and also shed any light on the volume settings question below:

When connecting the Shiit Modi / Magni combination as above and playing Media via iTunes what should the volume settings be on the Apple iMac: Volume 1 for main Apple iMac and Volume 2 for iTunes Software?

Jul 19, 2016 at 4:47 PM Post #1,979 of 2,577
I am very new to headphone amps and am close to ordering the Modi 2 Uber and Magni 2 Uber combination.

My source connection is a Apple iMac computer and am using iTunes for playing Media.

Please may I ask for the best possible audio quality how should I connect the Apple iMac:
(1) USB or (2) Optical. I understand the headphone output port is also an Optical port?

Thank you if anyone can help answer this question above and also shed any light on the volume settings question below:

When connecting the Shiit Modi / Magni combination as above and playing Media via iTunes what should the volume settings be on the Apple iMac: Volume 1 for main Apple iMac and Volume 2 for iTunes Software?

1. Theoretically, the best posibke audio is from hdmi, and then from optical, and then from usb, and finally from the headphone out.

2. No, the headphone output of your laptop is an analog connection, and generally considered a ****ty one (i would strongly recommend that you listen andcompare, because A LOT of ehat you read is BS/BIASES/PLACEBO).

3. TO avoid losing some bits (that may or may not be able to hear in terms of audio quality, again, you be the judge), set your computer volume to the max and control the volume using the amp knob. Be careful not to break your headphones or damage your hearing.

I hope this helps.

EDIT: I stand corrected by letmebefrank: your laptop's headphone out is also a digital output. I didnt know that.

Jul 19, 2016 at 5:47 PM Post #1,980 of 2,577
1. Theoretically, the best posibke audio is from hdmi, and then from optical, and then from usb, and finally from the headphone out.

2. No, the headphone output of your laptop is an analog connection, and generally considered a ****ty one (i would strongly recommend that you listen andcompare, because A LOT of ehat you read is BS/BIASES/PLACEBO).

3. TO avoid losing some bits (that may or may not be possible to hear in terms of audio quality, again, you be the judge), set your computer volume to the max and control the volume using the amp knob. Be careful not to break your headphones or damage your hearing.

I hope this helps.

The headphone jack on his Mac is also a mini toslink transmitter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back