*Official Schiit Magni/Modi 2 ( Uber ) Thread*
Mar 2, 2016 at 11:02 AM Post #1,606 of 2,577
Anyone else getting their Magni read as hadphones when connecting the output into a mac?

If you're connecting from the 3.5mm audio output of the Mac to the RCA inputs of the Magni, then YES. :) The Mac assumes you are plugging in headphones. It doesn't know if that 3.5mm connector goes to headphones, or a line input device (like the Magni), so it says headphones.

Pro tip: Max out the volume level on the Mac so it doesn't try to digitally reduce the volume level. Leave volume control up to the Magni's front panel volume knob. ...and use a good player! I'm a huge fan boy of JRiver Media Center for Mac.

Brian.

That's the thing, I'm connecting Mac > OUTPUT (Magni 2 Uber). I want to record what's coming through the amp. What's the way to do this properly?

Mar 2, 2016 at 11:22 AM Post #1,608 of 2,577
That's the thing, I'm connecting Mac > OUTPUT (Magni 2 Uber). I want to record what's coming through the amp. What's the way to do this properly?

Sorry I don't understand. Record the output of the amp? Please explain your signal chain (the connections between everything) and what you are trying to achieve.

Brian.

Sure, sorry about that. Basically this is the cabling, I want to record my vinyl being played from the turntable into Audacity.

Mar 2, 2016 at 11:33 AM Post #1,609 of 2,577
Ah ok. Please note that the "output" of the Magni is variable with the volume control. So you'll need to leave it at a fixed position in order to do a recording at a specific level. You'd probably be better off directly connecting your turntable to the input instead, assuming it has a true line output, or already has a phono preamp in the chain.

But your issue is probably that you have one of those Mac laptops that has a SHARED audio input and output right? My Macs so far have had separate connectors for audio IN and OUT. But I see that there are a bunch that use the same connector for both. This article seems to explain how to set up that shared connector to be an input:

http://blogs.creighton.edu/bluecast/tips-and-tricks/properly-configuring-the-audio-connector-on-a-13-macbook-pro/

Good luck.

Brian.

Mar 6, 2016 at 8:02 AM Post #1,611 of 2,577
Has anyone used a M2U/M2U stack with the Audeze EL-8 (open back)? I'm planning to build a home setup based on these headphones (they are in my price range and sound taste). I was looking at the Audeze Deckard as well, but it doesn't have all the inputs I want. I need an optical input for my PS4 audio.

The M2U stack seems to offer tremendous value for money, and they can be found at good prices in Europe, which is rare for US built products.

Mar 6, 2016 at 9:03 AM Post #1,612 of 2,577
Has anyone used a M2U/M2U stack with the Audeze EL-8 (open back)? I'm planning to build a home setup based on these headphones (they are in my price range and sound taste). I was looking at the Audeze Deckard as well, but it doesn't have all the inputs I want. I need an optical input for my PS4 audio.

The M2U stack seems to offer tremendous value for money, and they can be found at good prices in Europe, which is rare for US built products.

Can't you use the digital input for Sony ps4 I remember the PS3 had one.

I was previously looking at a comparison between the Bitfrost 4490 plus a Asgard 2 or Valhalla 2 and ended up with the deckard. Reason being the deckard amp is more in line with the lyr (some say it's better) and you can always add a Bitfrost multi bit to the deckard down the road.

I hope this helps. Let me know if more questions if you look in the deckard thread you will see I have about 3 pages of answered questions to the community.

Mar 6, 2016 at 9:54 AM Post #1,613 of 2,577
Can't you use the digital input for Sony ps4 I remember the PS3 had one.

I was previously looking at a comparison between the Bitfrost 4490 plus a Asgard 2 or Valhalla 2 and ended up with the deckard. Reason being the deckard amp is more in line with the lyr (some say it's better) and you can always add a Bitfrost multi bit to the deckard down the road.

I hope this helps. Let me know if more questions if you look in the deckard thread you will see I have about 3 pages of answered questions to the community.

Ah, thanks for the tip. Apparently, the Deckard isn't compatible with the PS4 via USB. Is the input compatible with regular toslink, though? As in, is it a multi-purpose input, ot just USB? A thread on Reddit mentioned the PS4 not being compatible via USB.

The PS4 does have a digital out, indeed, but I'm unsure as to whether or not the Deckard supports it. It is an optical out, and I don't see an optical in on the Deckard?

Mar 6, 2016 at 10:47 AM Post #1,614 of 2,577
  Ah, thanks for the tip. Apparently, the Deckard isn't compatible with the PS4 via USB. Is the input compatible with regular toslink, though? As in, is it a multi-purpose input, ot just USB? A thread on Reddit mentioned the PS4 not being compatible via USB.

The PS4 does have a digital out, indeed, but I'm unsure as to whether or not the Deckard supports it. It is an optical out, and I don't see an optical in on the Deckard?

Unfortunately I think your right. Can't go PS4 usb to deckard. I've only had mine a week. I really enjoy it with the EL-8 Closed Back.

Mar 7, 2016 at 11:50 PM Post #1,616 of 2,577
  I don't have an amp or dac yet, should I start with the ubers?

I will be using either Sennheiser HD600s or HD650s. I have not yet decided on what headphones to purchase.

I am currently using the non-uber version and it works really well with the 650's, I will assume that its the same for the 600.  Either way I dont think you can go wrong, it comes down to matter of taste.

Mar 8, 2016 at 9:42 PM Post #1,617 of 2,577
This DAC, the Modi 2 Uber, is driving me crazy 
eek.gif

I am playing around with Roon + HQ Player's Network Audio Adapter (NAA) on a low-cost platform (Cubox-i4 Pro) in my 2-channel system. This platform is having some issues with HQ Player and USB dropping out, so I am using the TOSLINK connection to various DACs.

I've been switching in/out DACs and listening to the sound differences and they are stark. For example, my NAD D 1050 (CS 4398 -based) has really nice, meaty bass, mids and decent treble clarity. But the M2U has this incredible soundstage, listening with speakers, along with great clarity and crisp treble - but at the expense of weight in the mid-range. I wish the differences were subtle, but they are not to my ears.

So, if I am listening to classical music, the M2U is wonderful. Change to 70's classic rock, like Led Zeppelin and the Modi sounds lifeless. Conversely, classical music with the NAD sounds compressed, congested, as if the instruments are all jammed together. With Led Zeppelin, I keep reaching for the volume '+' button.

Mar 11, 2016 at 4:54 PM Post #1,619 of 2,577
It's long been known that the Sennheiser HD600 / HD/650 scale well with better gear. However, I've been out of the game for a while, and things have moved on from where I last remember them. I'd like to know how well they perform / scale with the Magni 2 Uber / Modi 2 Uber stack, vs spending a lot more money than for the stack.

The reason I'm asking is because I sold my rig a while ago, but I'm now looking to rebuild. I have looked at some more expensive headphones, but I can get the Sennheisers for a good price at the moment, and if it'll scale well with the Schiit stack, then there may be no reason to spend more money on a more expensive rig.

Thanks,

Dave.

Mar 11, 2016 at 11:54 PM Post #1,620 of 2,577
Hi guys,

How would one go about matching the output/input impedance to a existing dac/interface?

I Have a TC konnekt 6  with a monitor out put <100ohms and a headphone amp rated 80ohms 

How would i go about connecting this to a magni 2? How do the signal quality differ between using the modi dac over using an interface such as this?
How would you know which is the optimum level to set the interfaces output into the magni 2?

I ask because you can easily power headphones using the monitor outputs on this interface but i worried the signal will be to hot going into the magni vs using a modi dac

I can drive ath m50x pretty well usign the tc headphone output so would an amp even be worth it? im planning on getting some grado 225es tomorrow

here is the headphone out specs of the interface
impedance: 80 ohm
Power @ 600 Ohm 93mw
power @40 ohm 220mw

Users who are viewing this thread

Back