*Official Schiit Magni/Modi 2 ( Uber ) Thread*
Feb 26, 2016 at 4:59 PM Post #1,592 of 2,577
Some interesting developments...

The modi 2 seemed to improve slightly after about 24 hours of burn in.

But I ezperimented by swapping the USB cable for the Audioengine USB cable and could swear there was a difference. The sound seemed slightly warmer and fuller with more dimensionality. The D1 cable is almost half as long and came with the unit, but I had to buy a PYST cable for the Modi.

I started to do an A/B test just to be sure, playing a track with the D1 cable first, then the Modi cable. But for some reason the track froze when I tried to go back to a certain section of music, this was with the Modi cable. And this happened once before earlier today, but I brushed it off. Now it's starting to worry me. Anyone else run into this problem? I'm using 24/196 output to Jriver MC and ASIO at 512 buffer size.

Feb 26, 2016 at 5:29 PM Post #1,593 of 2,577
Some interesting developments...

The modi 2 seemed to improve slightly after about 24 hours of burn in.

But I ezperimented by swapping the USB cable for the Audioengine USB cable and could swear there was a difference. The sound seemed slightly warmer and fuller with more dimensionality. The D1 cable is almost half as long and came with the unit, but I had to buy a PYST cable for the Modi.

I started to do an A/B test just to be sure, playing a track with the D1 cable first, then the Modi cable. But for some reason the track froze when I tried to go back to a certain section of music, this was with the Modi cable. And this happened once before earlier today, but I brushed it off. Now it's starting to worry me. Anyone else run into this problem? I'm using 24/196 output to Jriver MC and ASIO at 512 buffer size.

Swapping usb cables is not quite so straightforward like analog cables.  The application may see the break in the communication of the USB cable as a fault and act up accordingly.  Remember you are transmitting packets with data, clock, and an acknowledgment protocol.  

Best advice is to play a cut and listen attentively, then stop the player, and swap in the other usb cable.  Then start the same track.  And even then some ground issues may cause the application to lose sync with the dac.  Then you just need to reset the preferences to choose the right dac.

In the end you might just become a cable believer..............or not.  And for the people who think all cables are the same, hahahahaha

go read Jason's (Schiit) blog.  #2 reason of service issues on their stuff where it turns out the gear is fine ................. is bad cables

Feb 26, 2016 at 6:00 PM Post #1,594 of 2,577
That's exactly what I did. I played the track. Closed the program. Swapped cables. Made sure it was working, opened the program and played the same track. Also, this issue happened before when there was no cable swapping.

Feb 26, 2016 at 7:38 PM Post #1,595 of 2,577
Hi,
I have a modi 2 uber with magni 2 uber with Windows 10. It was working fine until few days ago. The magni works and I was able to confirm that. I thgt the audio cable between them could be fsulty and bought a new one to try. Well no luck. Tried reinstalling the window 10 drivers and also tried on mac.

Any other troubleshooting steps. I am the second owner..I hope schiit could help if the dac is the issue.

Feb 26, 2016 at 8:04 PM Post #1,596 of 2,577
That's exactly what I did. I played the track. Closed the program. Swapped cables. Made sure it was working, opened the program and played the same track. Also, this issue happened before when there was no cable swapping.

time to start eliminating potential causes.  First thing I would do is download foobar and set it up for waspai event leaving most  of the tweakable stuff at default.

then play some tracks.

Then move on the next thing, more cables, computer, etc.  Sucks when issues like this crop up.

Feb 26, 2016 at 11:02 PM Post #1,597 of 2,577
Okay, so I tried going to device manager and unchecking "allow computer to turn off USB to save power", because that seems to be a common problem with DACS according to Schiit.

BUT, a funny thing happened... I started playing the music again but the second I opened google chrome, it stopped playing... so now I'm guessing it could be a conflict of exclusive mode or something for the DAC.  I will try to disable exclusive mode...

Feb 28, 2016 at 5:47 PM Post #1,599 of 2,577
Just tested my Magni 2 U today for the first time, using my turntable and HD25-1. Previous amp was the E6 out of an iPod classic, I don't know if placebo is involved but I definitely felt a wider soundstage and more clarity with the Magni.

Feb 29, 2016 at 12:42 AM Post #1,600 of 2,577
Just tested my Magni 2 U today for the first time, using my turntable and HD25-1. Previous amp was the E6 out of an iPod classic, I don't know if placebo is involved but I definitely felt a wider soundstage and more clarity with the Magni.

That is what you get with a higher quality amp. :wink: Not placebo, no offense to the E6 but the Magni2U is a different league. Give it some time and it will even get better over time.The more you get used to its signature.

Cheers.

Mar 1, 2016 at 6:44 PM Post #1,601 of 2,577

That is what you get with a higher quality amp. :wink: Not placebo, no offense to the E6 but the Magni2U is a different league. Give it some time and it will even get better over time.The more you get used to its signature.

Cheers.

Yeah, I never fully liked the E6, always thought is sounded muddy and lacked a hell lot of soundstage.

Mar 1, 2016 at 8:13 PM Post #1,602 of 2,577
How is the noise floor for this amp (Magni 2 Uber) ? will it hiss when no music is playing and the volume knob is at the maximum in high gain mode with sensitive and non sensitive headphones ?

Also, Is the treble and vocal reproduction harsh and stabbing ? is the sound it produces transparent and neutral ? how is the soundstage and definition ? does the unit become hot in prolonged usage ? Finally, How does it compare to the ifi iCan micro ? I gather the Magni 2 Uber is better because it is a discrete amp but the ifi uses the TI chip so basically two op-amps which is an inferior design, Correct ?

Mar 1, 2016 at 8:39 PM Post #1,603 of 2,577
this should be fun..................................
popcorn.gif

Mar 2, 2016 at 10:22 AM Post #1,605 of 2,577
Anyone else getting their Magni read as hadphones when connecting the output into a mac?

If you're connecting from the 3.5mm audio output of the Mac to the RCA inputs of the Magni, then YES. :) The Mac assumes you are plugging in headphones. It doesn't know if that 3.5mm connector goes to headphones, or a line input device (like the Magni), so it says headphones.

Pro tip: Max out the volume level on the Mac so it doesn't try to digitally reduce the volume level. Leave volume control up to the Magni's front panel volume knob. ...and use a good player! I'm a huge fan boy of JRiver Media Center for Mac.

Brian.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back