*Official Schiit Magni/Modi 2 ( Uber ) Thread*
Aug 20, 2015 at 10:41 AM Post #991 of 2,577

Thanks.
Just don't understand what do you mean with Modi 2 Uber driving headphones by itself? Modi doesn't have any headphone out.

With RCA to 3.5mm converter.
Now, I just realized that, I'm always trying freaky stuffs. 
biggrin.gif

Aug 20, 2015 at 10:43 AM Post #992 of 2,577
Hey guys,

Been out of the game for a while and am wondering if this would have any noticeable difference from my first gen modi/magni stack for my uses. Currently using my stack to power a pair of ATH-AD900s, ATH-M50x, and the AKG M220 (K240 Variant from Massdrop). With these cans would it be worth it to upgrade? And if so, would just getting the Magni Uber be a good buy?

Thanks!

Aug 20, 2015 at 11:53 AM Post #993 of 2,577
Hey guys,

Been out of the game for a while and am wondering if this would have any noticeable difference from my first gen modi/magni stack for my uses. Currently using my stack to power a pair of ATH-AD900s, ATH-M50x, and the AKG M220 (K240 Variant from Massdrop). With these cans would it be worth it to upgrade? And if so, would just getting the Magni Uber be a good buy?

Thanks!

I would look into taking it up the next step in the schiit line. Something like a bifrost and asgard 2.

Magni2/modi2 uber is better than the first gen, but I don't think you would notice near the difference as getting something next up in line.

Aug 20, 2015 at 4:25 PM Post #994 of 2,577
Even in the Schiit's own line, Modi2Ü is the only one with voltage as low as 1.5 V. Assuming that Magni2Ü and Modi2Ü were made to perfectly match each other, does anybody knows how would using any other DAC with more common higher output voltage of 2V, work with the Magni2Ü? Does it mean that Magni2Ü was made to work best with that voltage, or it doesn't have any importance? Also, does the output voltage of the source has any effect on the final power handling of the amp? Thanks. 

It's essentially a non-issue. The higher the output Voltage of the DAC you use, the faster the Magni2U will make full output power. However, the difference between 1.5 V and 2.0 V is really quite small in terms of dB, so you wouldn't easily notice the difference. I'd bet that the difference on the volume control would be just a tiny bit. Maybe 1/32 of a turn or 1/64 of a turn of difference for the same volume level.

Brian.

Aug 20, 2015 at 5:00 PM Post #995 of 2,577
It's essentially a non-issue. The higher the output Voltage of the DAC you use, the faster the Magni2U will make full output power. However, the difference between 1.5 V and 2.0 V is really quite small in terms of dB, so you wouldn't easily notice the difference. I'd bet that the difference on the volume control would be just a tiny bit. Maybe 1/32 of a turn or 1/64 of a turn of difference for the same volume level.

Brian.

Thanks a lot Brian for the very clear explanation.

Aug 23, 2015 at 1:40 PM Post #996 of 2,577
Oops didn't see a thread here.

I have a question, why would someone not opt for the Uber versions of the Magni and Modi?

I really have no use for any other input besides USB. Amp wise I don't have an ortho or anything high end. Is the difference really that great with an Uber amp to justify the extra 50 dollars?

Aug 23, 2015 at 2:24 PM Post #997 of 2,577
  Oops didn't see a thread here.

I have a question, why would someone not opt for the Uber versions of the Magni and Modi?

I really have no use for any other input besides USB. Amp wise I don't have an ortho or anything high end. Is the difference really that great with an Uber amp to justify the extra 50 dollars?

For me re Modi, besides USB, using optical for the NAS attached network player, and coaxial for iPod through Pure I20, it was well worth the functionality. Easy switching the sources. 
For Magni probably much less justified. Wouldn't actually need it just for the sake of power. Went for it solely for the optic, to have both in nicer looking aluminium. 

Aug 26, 2015 at 5:31 AM Post #998 of 2,577
Probably my Modi 2 Uber's C-Media chip burned because of the heat of Antalya. 45 degrees out here. USB is not working. Should I even bother to send it to warranty? Are they good? Any experience?

Man. Do you remember the time John Wick's dog died. It felt like that. I loved that DAC. I really don't know what to do...

Aug 26, 2015 at 7:10 AM Post #999 of 2,577
  Probably my Modi 2 Uber's C-Media chip burned because of the heat of Antalya. 45 degrees out here. USB is not working. Should I even bother to send it to warranty? Are they good? Any experience?

Man. Do you remember the time John Wick's dog died. It felt like that. I loved that DAC. I really don't know what to do...

Do not hesitate to contact Schiit. Here is a quote from @Jason Stoddard in another thread:

If you don't let us know there's a problem, it's impossible for us to fix it. I'd contact tech@schiit.com or alex@schiit.com to get it brought back and fixed.

They really like the opportunity to impress you, not just with their products, but also with their service.

Aug 26, 2015 at 2:34 PM Post #1,000 of 2,577

Do not hesitate to contact Schiit. Here is a quote from @Jason Stoddard in another thread:

They really like the opportunity to impress you, not just with their products, but also with their service.

I did, thank you.
regular_smile .gif

But there is a problem. I can send Modi 2 on January 2016 to them because of my schedule. Toslink connection is working but C-Media USB chip definitely burned. So, I will use Toslink until then. I'm looking for a cheap, good Toslink cable. We don't have Amazon or any similar thing in Turkey. And Turkish people don't use Toslinks so you can't find a good Toslink in here. My sister will be coming from Germany. I thought I can buy a Toslink cable from there. AmazonBasics Toslink would be nice. I'm looking for a 5-10€ Toslink. I don't know. Any advice? 

Aug 26, 2015 at 4:56 PM Post #1,001 of 2,577
  I did, thank you.
regular_smile%20.gif

But there is a problem. I can send Modi 2 on January 2016 to them because of my schedule. Toslink connection is working but C-Media USB chip definitely burned. So, I will use Toslink until then. I'm looking for a cheap, good Toslink cable. We don't have Amazon or any similar thing in Turkey. And Turkish people don't use Toslinks so you can't find a good Toslink in here. My sister will be coming from Germany. I thought I can buy a Toslink cable from there. AmazonBasics Toslink would be nice. I'm looking for a 5-10€ Toslink. I don't know. Any advice? 

5-10€ for Toslink? Too much :) 
Aliexpress does ship to Turkey. Just look @: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/1-8m-Digital-Audio-cables-Optical-Fiber-Cable-Toslink-connect-cabo-kabel-black/2023221344.html

Aug 26, 2015 at 5:51 PM Post #1,002 of 2,577

5-10€ for Toslink? Too much :) 
Aliexpress does ship to Turkey. Just look @: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/1-8m-Digital-Audio-cables-Optical-Fiber-Cable-Toslink-connect-cabo-kabel-black/2023221344.html

It looks good but I'll be going to Cyprus few days later. I can't wait for China post. This is the reason I'm not able to send Modi to warranty. Cyprus doesn't accept shippings from any country and I'll will be stay there until January.

By the way sound looks colder with Toslink compared to USB. Is this normal or is it my 2$ salvaged Toslink which I'm using now?

Aug 26, 2015 at 7:18 PM Post #1,003 of 2,577
  It looks good but I'll be going to Cyprus few days later. I can't wait for China post. This is the reason I'm not able to send Modi to warranty. Cyprus doesn't accept shippings from any country and I'll will be stay there until January.

By the way sound looks colder with Toslink compared to USB. Is this normal or is it my 2$ salvaged Toslink which I'm using now?

I do not have the Modi 2 Uber. On what I am assuming is similar, the Bifrost Uber, the Toslink does indeed sound just a slight bit "colder" than the USB input. But I always attributed this to either cables or simply using a different means of transport. I've never had a way to be 100% certain.

Aug 26, 2015 at 9:34 PM Post #1,005 of 2,577
  Question. I recently got the Modi 2U and Magni 2U.
Are they supposed to get hot when connected and on, even if no audio is being passed/played through them?

How hot is it where you live at the moment ?? This can drastically change the Temp of your devices. I'm in winter now, and I have had my Modi/Magni 2Ü on for 2 weeks straight and they barely register a Temp. Same goes with my MBP, but in summer my MBP can spin those fans like it is in Ibiza clubbing 24/7 . . .  In normal circumstances, it shouldn't be hot to touch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back