*Official Schiit Magni/Modi 2 ( Uber ) Thread*
Jul 8, 2017 at 1:10 AM Post #2,431 of 2,577
I spent a lot of time thinking about this and ended up getting the Magni 2 Uber. Reason being, the pre-outs and extra power just added a bit of future proofing, to add powered speakers or better headphones later. The preamp outs are muted when you plug the headphones in. You do not have to touch the speaker outs on the Magni 2 Uber to use headphones. It's all controlled by the headphone jack.
So either way you have to unplug one to use the other. Regular version has plenty of power to power any conceivable headphones ill ever consider buying. No, im never going to spend more than $300-400 on headphones. The main reason for getting the Magni is to circumvent distortion caused by the card's headphone amps high output impedance when used with sub 250Ohm headphones, among other things. It's a non-issue when hooking it up to a 5.1 surround set. So i'll chalk that all up as "Uber offers nothing tangible extra for me over the regular" then and cross it off the list of amps im looking at. Thanks for the verification; makes things simpler.

Jul 8, 2017 at 2:05 AM Post #2,432 of 2,577
Okay so i'm in a dilemma between the Magni 2 and O2. If I decide to go with the Magni 2, is there any point at all to getting the Uber if all ill be using it for is an amp for mid-tier cans like 598/k7xx/k712/ad700x? I've heard that the pre amp outs on the uber can be used to for external speakers(which I may get some day but not any time soon), but my source(Soundblaster Z) already has dedicated front/rear r/l outs and a subwoofer and can switch from speakers to headphones with a mouse click whereas it seems you have to unplug the speaker outs on the Magni to use the headphone out. The specs are otherwise identical so I see zero point for me personally in getting the uber.
You reasoning is sound. If your existing source already has preamp outputs that you MAY use with powered speakers some day, then you really don't need the preamp outputs on the Uber. I personally, would stick with just Magni 2 in your situation.

Jul 8, 2017 at 6:27 PM Post #2,434 of 2,577
Could someone please listen to this song w/ neutral 'phones on a Schiit Stack and comfirm if this song is actualy sibilant?

"Neutral" headphones don't exist. "Neutral" is a theoretical approximation. I'd listen on my colored headphones, but I no longer own a Schiit amp.

Sounds like you're still having sibilance issues. Just that song or others, too?

Jul 8, 2017 at 11:16 PM Post #2,435 of 2,577
"Neutral" headphones don't exist. "Neutral" is a theoretical approximation. I'd listen on my colored headphones, but I no longer own a Schiit amp.

Sounds like you're still having sibilance issues. Just that song or others, too?
Other songs too, it's just that on the PSB's that song is quite sibilant... so, i was wondering if other people also experience some sibilance on that song. If so, that might mean that the sibilance on the PSB's isn't roled off or accentuated, it's just the recordings. Is it for you?

Jul 8, 2017 at 11:35 PM Post #2,436 of 2,577
Could someone please listen to this song w/ neutral 'phones on a Schiit Stack and comfirm if this song is actualy sibilant?

I listened to that song with PSB M4U2s in passive mode, Sennheiser HD-6XXs, and Fostex TH-X00s, and did not think notice any sibilance on any of those phones. I used Mimby/Magni 2 Uber.

The sound in the Spotify sample you linked seemed to be low bitrate so I played it with Google Play Music which I think is 320 kbps.. Do you use Spotify for all your listening? I find low-bitrate music to have harshness in the treble that sounds sibilant. Is there a streaming quality setting in Spotify?

Jul 9, 2017 at 11:50 AM Post #2,438 of 2,577
Other songs too, it's just that on the PSB's that song is quite sibilant... so, i was wondering if other people also experience some sibilance on that song. If so, that might mean that the sibilance on the PSB's isn't roled off or accentuated, it's just the recordings.
I listened to that song with PSB M4U2s in passive mode, Sennheiser HD-6XXs, and Fostex TH-X00s, and did not think notice any sibilance on any of those phones. I used Mimby/Magni 2 Uber.

The sound in the Spotify sample you linked seemed to be low bitrate so I played it with Google Play Music which I think is 320 kbps.. Do you use Spotify for all your listening? I find low-bitrate music to have harshness in the treble that sounds sibilant. Is there a streaming quality setting in Spotify?
Yes, there is a 320kbps quality setting in Spotify which i use. Did you listen to the song at loud volumes with your PSB's in passive mode? Also, is the song sibilant with the PSB's used on a phone on passive mode?

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2017 at 11:35 PM Post #2,439 of 2,577
You reasoning is sound. If your existing source already has preamp outputs that you MAY use with powered speakers some day, then you really don't need the preamp outputs on the Uber. I personally, would stick with just Magni 2 in your situation.
Just as a final check before I try and find a used or buy a b-stock for $90, is there anything else as good as or better in the same price range for a transparent amp?
I've already ruled out O2(higher price/less power/kinda ugly) and the Topping A30(comparable power and nice gain features, but Excessive output impedance/higher price). I looked at a couple of SMSL products and found them lacking as well.

Jul 10, 2017 at 10:08 AM Post #2,440 of 2,577
Yes, there is a 320kbps quality setting in Spotify which i use. Did you listen to the song at loud volumes with your PSB's in passive mode? Also, is the song sibilant with the PSB's used on a phone on passive mode?

Yes, I listened to that song at loud volume with my PSBs. I never tried listening to it with my phone but since I've never noticed any sibilance on any song with my PSBs I doubt this song would be.

Jul 10, 2017 at 9:40 PM Post #2,441 of 2,577
Yes, I listened to that song at loud volume with my PSBs. I never tried listening to it with my phone but since I've never noticed any sibilance on any song with my PSBs I doubt this song would be.
Ok, now i am a bit sad and confused on WHY my PSB M4U 1's are Sibilant and a bit harsh at loud volumes on my onboard and on a mobile device.... i just hope that your amp is the reason you get no sibilance... lol

Jul 11, 2017 at 2:43 AM Post #2,442 of 2,577
Other songs too, it's just that on the PSB's that song is quite sibilant... so, i was wondering if other people also experience some sibilance on that song. If so, that might mean that the sibilance on the PSB's isn't roled off or accentuated, it's just the recordings. Is it for you?
I listened to this song through my E10K and 598s at loud volume (about 6 on the dial at low gain), and this song does have a bit of sibilance to it. It's not too bad. I've heard worse. So I'd say the song itself has some sibilance recorded into it.

Just as a final check before I try and find a used or buy a b-stock for $90, is there anything else as good as or better in the same price range for a transparent amp?
I've already ruled out O2(higher price/less power/kinda ugly) and the Topping A30(comparable power and nice gain features, but Excessive output impedance/higher price). I looked at a couple of SMSL products and found them lacking as well.
I don't have much experience with many different amps, but it looks like you did your research. You should trust your gut and go with it. Maybe someone else here could suggest another quality amp in this price range, but having had the Magni 2, I was pretty happy with its look and build quality for the money.

Ok, now i am a bit sad and confused on WHY my PSB M4U 1's are Sibilant and a bit harsh at loud volumes on my onboard and on a mobile device.... i just hope that your amp is the reason you get no sibilance... lol
Have you tried using other headphones? If they're not sibilant, then it's likely your M4U1's are the culprit.

Jul 11, 2017 at 7:41 AM Post #2,443 of 2,577
I listened to this song through my E10K and 598s at loud volume (about 6 on the dial at low gain), and this song does have a bit of sibilance to it. It's not too bad. I've heard worse. So I'd say the song itself has some sibilance recorded into it.

I don't have much experience with many different amps, but it looks like you did your research. You should trust your gut and go with it. Maybe someone else here could suggest another quality amp in this price range, but having had the Magni 2, I was pretty happy with its look and build quality for the money.

Have you tried using other headphones? If they're not sibilant, then it's likely your M4U1's are the culprit.
Well, i don't have any other circumaural headphones with me right now, but my wireless IEM's don't have this issue. If i keep at a moderate volume, they don't have accentuated sibilance, but if i increase the volume to just about loud, it starts to get sibilant. I'm hoping the amp will let me increase the volume without causing sound break-up and sibilance.

Jul 17, 2017 at 7:56 PM Post #2,444 of 2,577
Hello guys, recently I ordered the SE864. I want to use it with Asus essence STX II. Is it going to be a problem if I do so since the SE864 requires very low impedance and the lowest setting in asus software is <32Ω.

Edit : How true is this statement : "Shure SE846: A very fun IEM to listen and at the same time you could use it for monitoring purposes. One thing to bear in mind is that a DAP with output impedance of below 1 ohm is a MUST HAVE for this IEM, should you decide to drive this IEM properly. This IEM has a very low impedance with crazy impedance swing across as the frequency changes. If you have a device with high output impedance, SE846 will be a bass-heavy IEM."

Source : https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/531248-the-audio-boards-recommended-gear/ (in $500-$1000 IEM section)

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017 at 11:19 AM Post #2,445 of 2,577
Hello guys, recently I ordered the SE864. I want to use it with Asus essence STX II. Is it going to be a problem if I do so since the SE864 requires very low impedance and the lowest setting in asus software is <32Ω.

Edit : How true is this statement : "Shure SE846: A very fun IEM to listen and at the same time you could use it for monitoring purposes. One thing to bear in mind is that a DAP with output impedance of below 1 ohm is a MUST HAVE for this IEM, should you decide to drive this IEM properly. This IEM has a very low impedance with crazy impedance swing across as the frequency changes. If you have a device with high output impedance, SE846 will be a bass-heavy IEM."

Source : https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/531248-the-audio-boards-recommended-gear/ (in $500-$1000 IEM section)
Probably. All commercial soundcards have extremely high output impedance. IIRC STX 2 is 10Ω, which means you'd need at least 80Ω headphones for it not to distort sound. Of course you can just buy a Schiit Magni 2 b-stock, line-out from the card to that and plug them in the Magni instead. The O2's good too but pricier and kinda ugly with its layout. The software setting is irrelevant, thats for the gain stage iirc. What matters is the impedance of the output jack itself, which is 10, and that of the headphones, which according to what ive found varies from 9-16Ω. The shures are also extremely sensitive; I wouldn't change the gain stage from <32Ω unless you want your eardrums to explode.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back