*Official Schiit Magni/Modi 2 ( Uber ) Thread*
May 24, 2017 at 7:40 AM Post #2,402 of 2,577
Does anyone know of a good aftermarket power supply for the Magni 2 Uber or Modi 2 Uber that improves the sound? Ifi's Ipower won't work because it's DC and Schiit's products are AC, according to Nick from Schiit. I know of PS Audio's Dectet, but it's $500 and way out of my price range. I'm looking to spend $100, maybe $200 max if it has enough outlets

That would be a waste of money, Jason was pretty clear on power supplies.

Can you point me to where he says this? Thanks.

LPS = Linear Power Supply
You will find the second link very entertaining. By the way, I found these using the site's search capability as I didn't bookmark them.

https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/s...bable-start-up.701900/page-1174#post-13300121

https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/s...bable-start-up.701900/page-1195#post-13349690

May 25, 2017 at 1:10 PM Post #2,403 of 2,577
Hi all,
I have just a silly question about the specs of the Magni 2 uber:
-----
Frequency Response: 20Hz-20Khz, -0.1db, 2Hz-250KHz, -3dB

Maximum Power, 16 ohms: 2.1W RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 32 ohms: 1.5W RMS per channel

-----

what do they mean with "per channel" if you just connect an HP?
I mean do you get a power out at 32ohms about 3.0W total??
thanks

May 25, 2017 at 2:52 PM Post #2,404 of 2,577
Hi all,
I have just a silly question about the specs of the Magni 2 uber:
-----
Frequency Response: 20Hz-20Khz, -0.1db, 2Hz-250KHz, -3dB

Maximum Power, 16 ohms: 2.1W RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 32 ohms: 1.5W RMS per channel

-----

what do they mean with "per channel" if you just connect an HP?
I mean do you get a power out at 32ohms about 3.0W total??
thanks
It's a stereo amplifier. There are two channels: left and right.

May 30, 2017 at 3:49 AM Post #2,407 of 2,577
Can you experience channel imbalance via the rca pre out's and powered monitors with the Magni 2 Uber?

or is this a headphone only issue? or resolved with the " 2 " versions?

Also I have a question about optical input with the Modi 2U.

I have serious noise issues via usb with my pc, I'm using toslink optical IN to the Modi 2U and can enable a full 24/196 via my pc's OS.

So does that mean it works? if it carries the signal it carries the signal? or should I be looking for any sound quality degradation or possible jitter / timing issues?

I " don't " seem to have any of those issues, but 192 does sound markedly more " open and airy. " than 24/96.

Sorry guys, I'm a total noob trying to get my feet under me here. :) lol.

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2017 at 12:24 AM Post #2,408 of 2,577
Does anyone know of a good aftermarket power supply for the Magni 2 Uber or Modi 2 Uber that improves the sound? Ifi's Ipower won't work because it's DC and Schiit's products are AC, according to Nick from Schiit. I know of PS Audio's Dectet, but it's $500 and way out of my price range. I'm looking to spend $100, maybe $200 max if it has enough outlets
Power supplies do nothing for these products. Its AC because all the work is done inside of the products.

Jun 7, 2017 at 10:57 PM Post #2,409 of 2,577
Apologies if I've missed this info somewhere definitive but I'm looking into a desktop amp and dac for use with my iPhone 6S+ and iPod Touch. I plan to use the setup with HD600s and SRH1540s.

Does the M2U/M2U stack eliminate the need for the powered USB hub due to the Modi 2U having the external power supply? I've seen conflicting answers on this.

Is there an easier to use or better amp/dac solution for this setup in the same price range? I've been using a Vamp Verza with good results but the battery life is starting to wane and there's nothing more frustrating than a dead battery at listening time. That's why I've been leaning towards a desktop solution versus another portable.

Jun 10, 2017 at 10:54 AM Post #2,410 of 2,577
Apologies if I've missed this info somewhere definitive but I'm looking into a desktop amp and dac for use with my iPhone 6S+ and iPod Touch. I plan to use the setup with HD600s and SRH1540s.

Does the M2U/M2U stack eliminate the need for the powered USB hub due to the Modi 2U having the external power supply? I've seen conflicting answers on this.

Is there an easier to use or better amp/dac solution for this setup in the same price range? I've been using a Vamp Verza with good results but the battery life is starting to wane and there's nothing more frustrating than a dead battery at listening time. That's why I've been leaning towards a desktop solution versus another portable.

No, the stack does NOT eliminate the need for a powered USB hub (or some sort of "power solution" for the iPhone/iPod). The iPhone/iPod still "thinks" it has to supply USB voltage and therefore needs some sort of power. You will need an Apple Camera adapter with pretty much any Schiit solution (see link below). Having said that, I use a Fulla 2 with this adapter that has both a USB port and a Lightning port: https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MK0W2AM/A/lightning-to-usb-3-camera-adapter

I can use the USB port with the Apple Camera Adapter to connect to the DAC and I plug a Lightning cable into a power supply (which could be your standard charger, a USB hub, a portable battery-type charger, or just about anything that will supply 5V USB power). This solution should with a Modi 2 Uber. Using the dual-port camera adapter will give you more flexibility as far as supplying USB power to your iDevice -- not limiting you to solely a powered USB hub. Good luck and good listening!

Jul 1, 2017 at 3:17 PM Post #2,413 of 2,577
Hey guys,
Im thinking of buying the Magni/Modi 2 stack for my PSB M4U 1's because to me, the bass is a bit light on impact and it sounds slightly sibilant at higher volumes. Would the stack help with this? Also, would the soundstage and separation improve, compared to my mobo output (Asus Z170-A)? I mostly listen to Spotify music on foobar2000 using foo_input_spotify and WASAPI output. Thanks :)

Jul 2, 2017 at 6:07 AM Post #2,414 of 2,577
Hey guys,
Im thinking of buying the Magni/Modi 2 stack for my PSB M4U 1's because to me, the bass is a bit light on impact and it sounds slightly sibilant at higher volumes. Would the stack help with this? Also, would the soundstage and separation improve, compared to my mobo output (Asus Z170-A)? I mostly listen to Spotify music on foobar2000 using foo_input_spotify and WASAPI output. Thanks :)
I used to own the M4U1. I used it with my iphone 6 mostly. It is a very efficient headphone, meaning it doesn't need much power to get quite loud. It's actually one of the loudest headpones I've ever heard. So I don't think a dedicated amp will help in that regard. As far as sound profile goes, the M4U1 is a bit light in the bass, but I never heard it to be sibilant. The sibilance could possibly be due to your computer built in amp. Have you tried it with other sources/amps and does it sound sibilant with that?

As far as Magni/Modi goes, I tried the Magni 2 using Fiio E10K as the DAC, and it actually shrunk the soundstage for me over just using the E10K as both DAC and amp. The Magni 2 did, however, smooth out the highs and made them sound fuller and crisper at the same time.

Jul 2, 2017 at 10:05 AM Post #2,415 of 2,577
I used to own the M4U1. I used it with my iphone 6 mostly. It is a very efficient headphone, meaning it doesn't need much power to get quite loud. It's actually one of the loudest headpones I've ever heard. So I don't think a dedicated amp will help in that regard. As far as sound profile goes, the M4U1 is a bit light in the bass, but I never heard it to be sibilant. The sibilance could possibly be due to your computer built in amp. Have you tried it with other sources/amps and does it sound sibilant with that?

As far as Magni/Modi goes, I tried the Magni 2 using Fiio E10K as the DAC, and it actually shrunk the soundstage for me over just using the E10K as both DAC and amp. The Magni 2 did, however, smooth out the highs and made them sound fuller and crisper at the same time.
I don't think that the PSB M4U 1's are sibilant at average volumes, but at loud volumes, they do have a bit of sibilance and stridence for me and the sound starts to break up. This happens on my iPad too. Did you have this before? And you mention the Magni 2 makes the highs smoother. Do you think it'll smoothen out the highs to the point i don't have these issues

Users who are viewing this thread

Back