*Official Schiit Magni/Modi 2 ( Uber ) Thread*
May 8, 2017 at 11:51 AM Post #2,386 of 2,577
Thanks, but that doesn't answer my question. I know it uses an AC wall-wart.

The older revision used the wall-wart to power the DAC, but the USB interface was still powered by the source. I've heard rumors on the forums that the USB interface is now self powered with the 4490 chipset, and as such, iDevices can be used. I want someone who has tried connecting a iDevice via USB to confirm if this is true.

I believe this is correct. You should be able to test by unplugging the power when it's connected to your computer and seeing if it disappears from your devices. If you are using an iDevice, you might be better off with the USB 3.0 kit that includes a power connection. Then it would be a moot point on whether the device was self-powered.

May 10, 2017 at 7:41 PM Post #2,387 of 2,577
Thanks, but that doesn't answer my question. I know it uses an AC wall-wart.

The older revision used the wall-wart to power the DAC, but the USB interface was still powered by the source. I've heard rumors on the forums that the USB interface is now self powered with the 4490 chipset, and as such, iDevices can be used. I want someone who has tried connecting a iDevice via USB to confirm if this is true.

I believe this is correct. You should be able to test by unplugging the power when it's connected to your computer and seeing if it disappears from your devices. If you are using an iDevice, you might be better off with the USB 3.0 kit that includes a power connection. Then it would be a moot point on whether the device was self-powered.

By design the Modi 2U doesn't use USB power. USB power is often a source of problems. When I unplug mine from the "Cthulu" power brick, my Modi 2U disappears from Windoze. This experiment should be valid for macOS and iOS too, because my chain includes an UpTone Audio USB REGEN for reclocking, and the REGEN also provides replacement USB power. The Modi 2U doesn't make use of that power.

Last edited:
May 18, 2017 at 11:05 PM Post #2,388 of 2,577
I'm currently using laptop usb > Fiio K1 > Magni 2. Would I notice much difference with the Modi 2 DAC replacing the Fiio K1?
This really depends because in my experience the Fulla2 had USB audio issues and the K1 did not.

So while the Fulla2 (which has the same DAC chip as the Modi 2) will sound better than the K1 you might have USB audio issues like pops/cracks. The nice thing is that you can always return the Modi if you have these issues and go back to using the K1.

While the K1 packs a punch for its small price, it doesn't compare to higher end stuff in the long run (but it isn't meant to).

May 19, 2017 at 8:37 AM Post #2,389 of 2,577
The Modi 2 is almost completely different than the Fulla 2. Yes, they use the same DAC chip, but besides that they are nothing alike. The Modi 2 is wall-powered, not USB powered. It has a different implementation of the DAC chip itself, and the USB implementation is also completely different.

May 19, 2017 at 8:44 AM Post #2,390 of 2,577
I think i have narrowed down mynext dac/amp purchase to the schiit magni 2 Uber and modi 2 (non Uber), or Mojo, or Fulla 2.

I Read great stuff about all. Mojo has captured my interest the most, BUT i want to drive my desktop monitors as well. And as for DAC, i have an iBasso D2 that i could try before making the decision to get the modi 2. I might be happy enough as is.

I use the HD598s, and pretty much only Spotify premium from my iMac. My speakers are easy to drive KEFs.

So; happy with what you have? What would the Mojo give me that Schiit Magni won't - aside from portability? Is The whole stack a definitive improvement over the Fulla 2? Thanks in advance.

May 19, 2017 at 9:05 AM Post #2,391 of 2,577
The Modi 2 is almost completely different than the Fulla 2. Yes, they use the same DAC chip, but besides that they are nothing alike. The Modi 2 is wall-powered, not USB powered. It has a different implementation of the DAC chip itself, and the USB implementation is also completely different.
The non Uber Modi 2 is not wall powered.

May 19, 2017 at 10:02 AM Post #2,392 of 2,577

Yes, the USB chip on the regular Modi 2 is USB powered, but the rest of the DAC is wall powered.

May 19, 2017 at 11:15 AM Post #2,393 of 2,577

And where did you see or read this? On Schiits own website it suggests that they are indeed similar.
Additionally the Fulla2 can be wall powered too via a secondary USB for power.

And last but not least the Fulla2 and Modi2 have very similar specs and the same USB controller (which is the digital side of a DAC's "implementation").

One has AD filter stages and the other has TI filter stages. They are both the same kind of filters and the same grade of filters.
Their THD, SNR, IMD are all almost exactly the same aswell.

The Modi is capable of higher bitrates due to Schiit firmware and nothing else. Additionally the regular Modi is not wall powered as its Bus powered.

May 19, 2017 at 12:32 PM Post #2,395 of 2,577
And where did you see or read this? On Schiits own website it suggests that they are indeed similar.
Additionally the Fulla2 can be wall powered too via a secondary USB for power.

And last but not least the Fulla2 and Modi2 have very similar specs and the same USB controller (which is the digital side of a DAC's "implementation").

One has AD filter stages and the other has TI filter stages. They are both the same kind of filters and the same grade of filters.
Their THD, SNR, IMD are all almost exactly the same aswell.

The Modi is capable of higher bitrates due to Schiit firmware and nothing else. Additionally the regular Modi is not wall powered as its Bus powered.

No, the entire Modi 2 non-uber is USB powered. There is no wall wart for that DAC. The Modi 2 Uber and Mulitbit use a wall-wart.

My bad I always assumed the Modi 2 was the same as the Modi 2 uber just without the extra inputs. Thats what I get for assuming.

May 19, 2017 at 12:56 PM Post #2,396 of 2,577

Yes, the USB chip on the regular Modi 2 is USB powered, but the rest of the DAC is wall powered.
No, the non Uber Modi 2 gets all of its power from the USB source. Only the Uber and multi-bit comes with a wall wart.
You can check the Schiit website
http://schiit.com/products/modi-2
You can see the picture of the back panels, the plain modi 2 has no jack for power. The dropdown for selecting the power source when ordering the plain (not uber or multi-bit) modi 2 is clear on this.

Last edited:
May 19, 2017 at 6:50 PM Post #2,397 of 2,577
No, the non Uber Modi 2 gets all of its power from the USB source. Only the Uber and multi-bit comes with a wall wart.
You can check the Schiit website
http://schiit.com/products/modi-2
You can see the picture of the back panels, the plain modi 2 has no jack for power. The dropdown for selecting the power source when ordering the plain (not uber or multi-bit) modi 2 is clear on this.

You are correct, and I have already stated right above you that I was wrong.

May 20, 2017 at 10:40 PM Post #2,398 of 2,577
So guys, how many of you are using the magni 2 Uber with a totally different DAC - if any?

I Will use the magni Uber for my speakers as well, and the price point is hard to compete with. But if you take into account pre amping speakers and the possible DAC, what are other suggestions?

May 23, 2017 at 7:49 PM Post #2,399 of 2,577
Does anyone know of a good aftermarket power supply for the Magni 2 Uber or Modi 2 Uber that improves the sound? Ifi's Ipower won't work because it's DC and Schiit's products are AC, according to Nick from Schiit. I know of PS Audio's Dectet, but it's $500 and way out of my price range. I'm looking to spend $100, maybe $200 max if it has enough outlets

Last edited:
May 23, 2017 at 10:10 PM Post #2,400 of 2,577
Does anyone know of a good aftermarket power supply for the Magni 2 Uber or Modi 2 Uber that improves the sound? Ifi's Ipower won't work because it's DC and Schiit's products are AC, according to Nick from Schiit. I know of PS Audio's Dectet, but it's $500 and way out of my price range. I'm looking to spend $100, maybe $200 max if it has enough outlets
That would be a waste of money, Jason was pretty clear on power supplies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back