*Official Schiit Magni/Modi 2 ( Uber ) Thread*
Jul 2, 2017 at 5:22 PM Post #2,416 of 2,577
I don't think that the PSB M4U 1's are sibilant at average volumes, but at loud volumes, they do have a bit of sibilance and stridence for me and the sound starts to break up. This happens on my iPad too. Did you have this before? And you mention the Magni 2 makes the highs smoother. Do you think it'll smoothen out the highs to the point i don't have these issues
I typically don't listen at loud volumes, but when I tested the M4U1 at high volumes for short periods, I didn't notice any sibilance. Maybe not enough test tracks to notice. The M4U1 are a mids-focused can, so they may sound fatiguing after a while at high volume, but I never heard sibilance (sharp S's and T's).

The Magni 2 may smooth out the sibilance on your M4U1. Only way to know is to try. But it could also make it worse. I was comparing with E10K, which by comparison, has thinner, less full sounding highs. This was with an HD 650. The Magni 2 is not a warm amp. I'd say neutral or slightly bright. With the HD 650, the highs were crisp, clear and smooth (not harsh or edgy). The 650 is a 300 Ohm can. I believe M4U1 is 32 Ohm. Sometimes, a powerful amp into a low ohm headphone can make the sound worse (brighter, harsher). It's all about getting a good sonic match between amp and headphone.

If you're trying to tame sibilance with an amp, you should probably be looking for amps with a warm sound signature, maybe a tube amp. But not necessarily. A smooth, neutralish amp could do the trick also. Like I said, only way to know is to try.

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2017 at 9:43 AM Post #2,417 of 2,577
Some people say that the Magni 2 will smooth out sibilance, others say that it causes this or accentuates treble. IMO it does neither as with most amps it has a flat FR. I would investigate the sound profile of the headphones and see if that suites me.

Jul 3, 2017 at 2:51 PM Post #2,418 of 2,577
Some people say that the Magni 2 will smooth out sibilance, others say that it causes this or accentuates treble. IMO it does neither as with most amps it has a flat FR. I would investigate the sound profile of the headphones and see if that suites me.
I disagee. Amps do have their own sound signatures and can color the sound. Some amps have audible distortions at certain frequencies that could cause sibilance or harshness. But since he said he's hearing this sibilance using more than one source, you're probably right in suggesting it's the headphones. Strange, because I didn't find them sibilant at all, and I'm pretty sensitive to it.

Jul 3, 2017 at 3:45 PM Post #2,419 of 2,577
I disagee. Amps do have their own sound signatures and can color the sound. Some amps have audible distortions at certain frequencies that could cause sibilance or harshness. But since he said he's hearing this sibilance using more than one source, you're probably right in suggesting it's the headphones. Strange, because I didn't find them sibilant at all, and I'm pretty sensitive to it.
An amp that has audible distortion is some bad Schiit. These days DACs and Amps produce distortion far below what human beings can detect. Much of such low numbers are for marketing purposes and are best appreciated by test equipment. Sibilance is cause by a big peak in the FR around 6 KHz or so which is a grating experience for the listener. Sometimes this is baked into the recording, yuck. Sometimes this is a result of the headphone's or IEM's FR. I remember one time I read a review of an inexpensive (just under $100) pair of IEMs by that projectionist from CNN. They were horribly sibilant and were immediately relocated to my junk pile of shame. An amp that can distort at that frequency range with levels so bad as to be sibilant is unimaginable to me and is best moved to the junk pile of shame. I don't think you will find any such kit in Schiit's portfolio.

Jul 3, 2017 at 7:11 PM Post #2,422 of 2,577
Odd nobody else notices a bit of sibilance... maybe i just listen to sibilant songs at high volume. I think ill get the stack.
It can't hurt and in terms of audiophile costs, a Magni 2 Stack, Uber or not is a real steal so it's not like your wallet is going to get picked for well over a grand. Enjoy listening.

Jul 4, 2017 at 5:33 AM Post #2,423 of 2,577
An amp that has audible distortion is some bad Schiit. These days DACs and Amps produce distortion far below what human beings can detect. Much of such low numbers are for marketing purposes and are best appreciated by test equipment. Sibilance is cause by a big peak in the FR around 6 KHz or so which is a grating experience for the listener. Sometimes this is baked into the recording, yuck. Sometimes this is a result of the headphone's or IEM's FR. I remember one time I read a review of an inexpensive (just under $100) pair of IEMs by that projectionist from CNN. They were horribly sibilant and were immediately relocated to my junk pile of shame. An amp that can distort at that frequency range with levels so bad as to be sibilant is unimaginable to me and is best moved to the junk pile of shame. I don't think you will find any such kit in Schiit's portfolio.
Well, at least we don't disagree that amps can change/color the sound.

I don't know which CNN projectionist you're referring to, but was it a review of the Klipsch S4i (I think that's the model) by chance? It was raved about by many, so I bought it. It has crazy sibilance.

Jul 4, 2017 at 5:36 AM Post #2,424 of 2,577
Odd nobody else notices a bit of sibilance... maybe i just listen to sibilant songs at high volume. I think ill get the stack.
If you're hearing sibilance from multiples sources/amps, and others don't hear sibilance with the M4U1, there's a small chance that you got a bad apple. As much as they try to make them all within tolerance, doesn't always happen.

Jul 4, 2017 at 9:31 AM Post #2,425 of 2,577
Does everyone not hear sibilance at all on the PSB's? Or does everyone just hear natural sibilance and some sibilance on sibilant recordings? Because, i might be comparing the PSB's with headphones that have rolled-off sibilance (the NAD Viso HP50 souns less sibilant from memory)

Jul 4, 2017 at 10:37 AM Post #2,428 of 2,577
Well, at least we don't disagree that amps can change/color the sound.

I don't know which CNN projectionist you're referring to, but was it a review of the Klipsch S4i (I think that's the model) by chance? It was raved about by many, so I bought it. It has crazy sibilance.
Yes that's the IEMs, except I got the Android version. Yes it has crazy sibilance, I tried to EQ it with a Parametric EQ notch filter (Neutron) with poor results and too much effort. The CNET projectionist I referred to is Steve Guttenberg. I mistyped CNN, my bad.

Jul 7, 2017 at 11:18 PM Post #2,429 of 2,577
Okay so i'm in a dilemma between the Magni 2 and O2. If I decide to go with the Magni 2, is there any point at all to getting the Uber if all ill be using it for is an amp for mid-tier cans like 598/k7xx/k712/ad700x? I've heard that the pre amp outs on the uber can be used to for external speakers(which I may get some day but not any time soon), but my source(Soundblaster Z) already has dedicated front/rear r/l outs and a subwoofer and can switch from speakers to headphones with a mouse click whereas it seems you have to unplug the speaker outs on the Magni to use the headphone out. The specs are otherwise identical so I see zero point for me personally in getting the uber.

Jul 8, 2017 at 12:22 AM Post #2,430 of 2,577
Okay so i'm in a dilemma between the Magni 2 and O2. If I decide to go with the Magni 2, is there any point at all to getting the Uber if all ill be using it for is an amp for mid-tier cans like 598/k7xx/k712/ad700x? I've heard that the pre amp outs on the uber can be used to for external speakers(which I may get some day but not any time soon), but my source(Soundblaster Z) already has dedicated front/rear r/l outs and a subwoofer and can switch from speakers to headphones with a mouse click whereas it seems you have to unplug the speaker outs on the Magni to use the headphone out. The specs are otherwise identical so I see zero point for me personally in getting the uber.

I spent a lot of time thinking about this and ended up getting the Magni 2 Uber. Reason being, the pre-outs and extra power just added a bit of future proofing, to add powered speakers or better headphones later. The preamp outs are muted when you plug the headphones in. You do not have to touch the speaker outs on the Magni 2 Uber to use headphones. It's all controlled by the headphone jack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back