Official NYC Spring 2010 Meet Saturday, March 13th
Mar 14, 2010 at 4:33 AM Post #16 of 188
If anyone wants better copies of any of these pictures, message me. These have the image quality on the low side to keep the bandwidth down. I have 3000x2000 in jpg and nikon raw format, and will do some image processing.

dsc0048af.jpg

dsc0049b.jpg

dsc0051bp.jpg

dsc0052xv.jpg

dsc0053mm.jpg

dsc0054vm.jpg

dsc0055kh.jpg

dsc0056wx.jpg

dsc0057io.jpg

dsc0058jq.jpg

dsc0059ty.jpg

dsc0060nw.jpg

dsc0061w.jpg

dsc0062ort.jpg

dsc0063d.jpg

dsc0064oc.jpg

dsc0065cs.jpg

dsc0066f.jpg

dsc0067j.jpg

dsc0068cs.jpg

dsc0069ct.jpg

dsc0070il.jpg

dsc0071j.jpg

dsc0072z.jpg

Mar 14, 2010 at 5:45 AM Post #24 of 188
Thank you, Aaron, for organizing a fun meet on what was an otherwise gloomy and gross day. And, a big thanks to all the MOTs who made it to the Meet and for their generous donations, which were once again expertly auctioned off by Yikes.

As is more common these days, I spent more time talking than I did listening. It's always good to see the NYC crew and the Travel Team also made a good showing. In fact, I bailed on beers due to a barking knee and the wandering Luxman. I have to admit that NYC is lagging Teams SoFla and NorCal in the after party department.

As for the gear I did hear, here are some brief impressions:

- Beyer T1 - Good stuff. Nice air, soundstage, and detail, but a bit more bass bump than the HD800. The HD800 may be technically more proficient, but to me the T1 could be more engaging. I'd like some more time with one to know for sure. Paired nicely with the Woo amps, I thought. Thanks to Beyerdynamic for bringing the T1 (among others) out to play.

- BHKE - Aaron's Kerry-built Blue Hawaii. Sounded great, looked great. Spectacular paint job. And it really made the Lambda Pros sing. I can only imagine how the Omegas sounded, but I never got a chance to hear them.

- WES - Sweet, sweet sounding stat amp. If I could afford it, I would buy it in a second.

- Protector - Kudos to Ray for innovating and for getting this amp out so quickly. Ray busts his butt to on his amps, and yet he still finds time to make the NYC Meet whenever he can, which is much appreciated. Big, full sound, but not shouty. He will sell a lot of these.

- Stax 404 Limited Edition - Very very enjoyable and nice materials. It sounded great out of the exstata. If I didn't have an O2, I would seek these out. I'm tempted as it is.

- MacBook Pro - That's what I want more than an iPad.

- Pico Slim - Sounded great; loads of detail with lots of slam. And it is tiny. The volume control is simply fantastic. I also love the leather case.

I'm forgetting stuff, but that's all I've got for now. It's about the people anyway, and I feel fortunate to be able to attend these meets with you folks.

Mar 14, 2010 at 1:22 PM Post #26 of 188
What a great day! I'll just echo the previous posters:

Aaron did a fantastic job organizing the meet, getting all the little things right (taking the toxic bathroom out of play in room 2, adding chocolate-covered pretzels to the brownie platter ... things like that).

Best in Show: Kerry's BH (owned by Aaron)

Most Amazing in Show: Ray's (RSA) tiny balanced amp ("Protector"). It drove perfectly well my balance (headphile) beyer 770/600 ohm. Remarkable.

Something I wanted to buy but didn't: beyer T1. This will give the HD800 a run for the money. beyer 600-ohm detail and speed, with a new layer of musicality.

Something I wanted to buy and did: Craig/Whiplash/SACD-Man's tiny low-profile right-angle iPod LOD's (Twag cable). Craig measured my portable rigs and will make me custom lengths for each. The 4G-Nano+RSA Shadow will be remarkably tiny with this addition,

Something I wanted to buy but can't afford - Woo's fully max'd out WES - Jack says you can now order it with even more upgrades that Doug's unit, and here in Jersey beating Doug is our gold medal. I can only dream.

What I would steal if the owner wasn't watching: NikonGod/Ari's Beheringer pro D/A A/D processor set-up. Wow factor off-the-charts. I'd take his camera too.

Most cool stuff on disply: Head-Direct. Once again, Fang brings so much quality gear to the table, at great prices. If you're not buying from Head-Direct you're losing out.

Most impulsive silent auction buy: Ethan/Yikes did his usual great job as auction master. He made people thirst for things with no value whatsoever, and charmingly extracted top dollar to defray meet expenses. Why did I buy three more dubious 12AU7's? Do I need a two-lifetime supply?

Things I can't understand: How do the beautiful women surrounding Fang stay so slim while eating mountains of waffles and ice cream, covered with chocolate sauce and whipped topping? My insulin spiked just being at the same table. That whole diner experience needs its own thread, titled "Ray and the cold eggs".

Personal Note: Thanks again John for helping me set-up and tear-down. And sorry about your laptop. Important Safety Tip: if I offer to "fix up" your Columns UI in fb2k, just say no.

The music selection was inspired. I wrote down more CD titles in my little book than ever. Aaron's

Amazon.com: Live at Sweetwater: Hot Tuna: Music

will be my first buy, on his suggestion alone (I never got to hear it).

I'll end the way I began -- a great day!

Mar 14, 2010 at 1:42 PM Post #27 of 188
wavoman- I was in the MOT room with my set up most of the time, if i had known you were there i would have said "hello".
frown.gif
Dang!!!

You must be in one of the pix.

Mar 14, 2010 at 1:45 PM Post #28 of 188
It was a great meet. I want to thank immtbiker for organizing it. I want to thank everyone who let me borrow their expensive headphones to audition with my setup. Thanks to the Beyer people who walked a pair of T1s to the other room for me to use. What stood out for me? Let me say, when listening to audio equipment of this caliber it all sounds wonderful, but I was most impressed with the Beyer T1, the RSA Protector, and Head Direct's new version HF5 which I intend to buy when available in a month.

Mar 14, 2010 at 2:15 PM Post #29 of 188
Another great NY meet.

I did not listen to much so I will just comment on the few I listened to and liked.

One of my favorite setups at the meet was Aaron's BH amp which sounded excellent as have all BH amps I have experienced.

The Beyer T1 out of Jacks big amp, WA5?, was also very good. I have to admit that I have never heard this amp not sound great so I do not know how much was the amp and how much was the headphones. They definitely worked well together.

Craig at Whiplash let me borrow both single ended and balanced Twag cables. I listened to both in my system. The balanced setup really was fantastic and the praise that balanced JH13s got at RMAF was well deserved. I listened to single ended straight out of an ipod and through an Amarra/Pico Dac/Pico Slim setup and I was sold. Now to wait for my Slim and all the new cables Craig is making for me.

I mostly hung out with friends and was glad to see the travel team and catch up with the NY crew.

Mar 14, 2010 at 2:32 PM Post #30 of 188
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drag0n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wavoman- I was in the MOT room with my set up most of the time, if i had known you were there i would have said "hello".
frown.gif
Dang!!!

You must be in one of the pix.

Aargh, didn't get to the other room until too late.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back