Official NYC Spring 2010 Meet Saturday, March 13th
Mar 13, 2010 at 2:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 188

Listens2tubes

100+ Head-Fier
Since I'm not traveling this morning I decided I need to live vicariously through all those enjoying their time in Queens. So tell me, what's happening?
biggrin.gif

Mar 13, 2010 at 3:11 PM Post #2 of 188
Quote:

Originally Posted by Listens2tubes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since I'm not traveling this morning I decided I need to live vicariously through all those enjoying their time in Queens. So tell me, what's happening?
biggrin.gif

Its raining
evil_smiley.gif

I am not there yet,will be there later this afternoon.
wink.gif

Mar 13, 2010 at 5:02 PM Post #3 of 188
Happy meeting everyone!
biggrin.gif

Enjoy the time and come back with plenty of impressions and pictures.

Mar 13, 2010 at 7:28 PM Post #4 of 188
yeah it sounded like it was going to be a great meet. a shame i couldnt make it since im stuck here doing work. hopefully some impressions can be up by late today or tomorrow

Mar 14, 2010 at 3:39 AM Post #9 of 188
Hope everyone had fun.
You don't know how much I wish I was able to attend!

Mar 14, 2010 at 3:54 AM Post #10 of 188
Got home a little while ago...

It was my first meet, and I had a lot of fun!

Met quite a few members and they were all very cool, and everyone was pretty generous with the gear. I was surprised how much listening I was able to do...this headphone world is a breath of fresh air!!

I love home & car audio to death but a headphone meet has proven to be a lot more fun because you can easily listen to numerous headphone/amp setups very quickly, and the average level of quality I found to be a lot higher than a typical home/car setup. Such is the beauty of a point source driver on each ear, and headphone manufacturers that are pretty good.

I will post a more detailed write up soon, but for now I must say that I didn't hear one bad setup at all, nothing remotely close to being bad (i.e. very harsh, dull, etc.). Everything was pretty good to very, very good...the Woo Audio W2 made everything sound delicious!
smily_headphones1.gif

And speaking of delicious, Scuba Lady's brownies were out of this world! High end baking to go with some high end sound, many thanks babe!

To those that didn't meet me or get my name (Fellippe), I was the guy in the black leather jacket taking copious notes. :wink:

Mar 14, 2010 at 3:58 AM Post #12 of 188
I have to pics, but I had a great time. Left a bit early due to "responsibilities", but I look forward to participating every year. Definitely very helpful in helping me plan my purchases. Also had the chance to see some pretty monstrous and awesome-looking gear (awesome-sounding should go without saying). See you next year!

Mar 14, 2010 at 4:06 AM Post #13 of 188
The meet was alot of fun! I know a few people took pictures, so they should be up in a day or so. Its storming really bad out.....40-70mph winds on LongIsland now, depending where you are here, so that may slow some people down from getting home quickly, and may tire them out, so they may just go to bed.
A bunch also went out to eat together...so that could delay them too.

Mots were all very nice at the meet!

We had : Head-Direct
Whiplash Audio
RSA-Ray Samuels Audio
BeyerDynamic
Monster
Woo Audio

If im missing someone, my apologies.
Everyone was very helpful and friendly!!! Alot of them had great new products also.
Check out their websites and see whats new.

If any of you stayed home because it rained (BooHoo) , You should have made the effort and came.
Everyone had a great time listening to all the new gear out there!

Beyer showed off all the new styles and colours of headphones they have now!

Head-Direct has the new HE-5 Headphones which are OUTSTANDING!!!! IMHO competes with Sennheiser HD800!!! And its less than half the price!!!

Whiplash brought some crazy cables!!! Really gorgeous workmanship! The cables were thick and nice, but still slinky and not stiff at all...and sounded great!

Monsters new Turbine IEMs really impressed me! Im not the IEM expert, but these sounded as good as alot of $500+ headphones ive heard, and blew away my poor crying UE SF3
frown.gif

RaySamuels (RSA needs no introduction) Brought his new Balanced Portable "The Protector"! You can run it balanced or with regular portable phones or IEMs. The thing is TINY!!!! and as usual sounds terrific!

WooAudio also had their balanced amp and their other amps also! The Woo2 is getting even more improvement done to it soon! Check out the news section of Woo Audio High-End Tube Amplifiers - The Sound of Excellence to see details.

People got some great things from the Auction. Beyer headphones, Koss phones, Adcom tuner/preamp/hp amp combo, DIY parts, Fiio Amps, Yuin phones, CDs, Woo HP stands, and many other things!!! Raised some money to pay for the meet room. I hope it was enough to cover everything and some left over for Head-Fi !!! Maybe someone will report the results?

So all in all , Great Meet!!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 14, 2010 at 4:07 AM Post #14 of 188
I thought I would not be able to make it to the meeting yet another year ... but thankfully I was able to make it and stay till 2 PM ...

Thanks Aaron, SiBurning and co. for organizing this event.
Weather was certainly not favorable but sharing the ride with SiBurning, made it pleasant.

Here are some some key nuggets from the meet for me:

1. I had my setup right next to Ray -- apart from the fact that he is such a good guy ... I loved "The Protector" - amazing sounding -- It sounded better than my Xin Ref ...
2. Woo Audio Rules!
Jack and his genius father had an array of Amps - I finally heard Omega IIs with Woo amp - wow! I did a review of Stax Omega II with their tubed amp - and felt that though it made good music, I could not use it as a reviewing tool. Seems like the shortcoming may have from the Stax amp. The Omega II with Woo Electrostat amp - were one of the best sound setups for me ... The Super-Mega Woo 5 sounded as good as any amp I have heard ... it is the best sounding amp for me (period).
3. I really loved the HD800s ... very open and natural sounding for 10 -15 minutes I spent with them.
4. I wanted to buy Whiplash audio cable for JHxx, even though I don't have the customs yet
wink.gif

5. I would like to give a second listen to Beyer T1s - nice
6. Finally met Nankai and his wife - very nice people - they had a nice sale of B-Stock stuff. They are working on HE-5 Signature .... hmmm.... no price or release date on that yet ... anyone looking for HE-5 send me a PM, I want to get in line for HE-5 Sig.
I did not find anything lacking in HE5, so don't know - how Sigs will improve them. I got the iem amp module for HifiMAN801 - it sounds very good - even without burn-in -- will report on that later after I have put some time on it.

My PS1000 were hooked to Trafomatic Head-One -- needed better bass control - perhaps the PS1000 need more burnin' - I had them for for only a week ... What this combo did best was small chamber Jazz and vocals ...

I looked like a Head-Direct Dealer with HiFiMAN-801 -> EF5 amp ->HE5 phones -- it is a winner for me -- doesn't do anything wrong - easily sits in the company of the best without making a big hole in your budget ... I saw several people with HiFiMAN 801 - I wonder if they would become a must have for head-fiers

Nice people .... see you all next time.

Cheers
Sunil

Mar 14, 2010 at 4:27 AM Post #15 of 188
Quote:

Originally Posted by saisunil /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks Aaron, SiBurning and co. for organizing this event.

Thanks, but I just do the fear gear page and try to help out a little when necessary. immtbiker organized the meet. Yikes ran the auction. But it's the members that make the meet what it is.

So, thanks to everyone who came, including the guests who gave people rides and mostly just sat around.

Special thanks to saisunil and Nankai for the ride, to all the MOTs and members who donated to the auction, to immtbiker for organizing the meet, to Yikes for doing an awesome job auctioning off all that cool gear, and BrownieLady for the yumm yumms.

This meet had the most awesomest auction I've seen at a NYC meet. Yikes did an amazing job, and the members and MOTs really stepped up. Ray and Fang seemed to be competing with each other, bidding on things only to put them right back into the auction again to raise more money for the room. If you think you saw that circuit board up for auction more than once, you should've seen the horse trading it went through after the auction. It involved five hands, four people, three pieces of gear, two countries, and a player to be named later. I kid you not!

A token of my thanks to everyone follows... (Modem and phone users better go get a cup of coffee)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back