Official K-81 DJ thread
Sep 3, 2009 at 12:50 AM Post #2,597 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by jordan85 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
.....also, is basically true that else equal, velour pads are usually going to offer less isolation then leatherette pads?

I'm not aware of any headphone where the velour pads offer more isolation than leatherette pads (usually less isolation). I guess the velour material lets sound through easier.

Sep 7, 2009 at 11:54 AM Post #2,598 of 2,661
I am thinking of getting myself the K518 which is afaik the K81 in black but the Pleather pads are imho VERY uncomfortable. Now here it says there´s a way to mount the velour-pads of the HD25 on the K518/K81. So far so good but they would cost about 20 €uro aka 30$ USD. The K81 goes out for 50 €uro (70$ USD) here, so it IS a lot of money.
Is there a cheaper alternative? Are there cans on the market that have more detail and a wider headstage for the money of the K81 with velourpads? And if there isn´t: how do you get the new pads on them?

Edit: i am talking about such a set here(sorry for the f-ugly color):

b1.jpg

the two small velout thingies would go on the brigde over the head, so the comfort would win a lot i guess. They would come in black i think but i dont find a picture of the set in black. I think they´re for the HD25-II.

Sep 29, 2009 at 9:05 PM Post #2,599 of 2,661
I should find out soon enough anyway...but anybody here happen to have experience with both the M-Audio Q40's and the K81/K518's and willing to share their opinion on how the two compare, particularly regarding the bass performance. My Q40's have a mind blowing bass capability but they need a second repair (or new cord this time) and I'm waiting on the K518's as a stand-in pair. I've had difficulty finding anything that have been recommended as a challenger to the Q40's regarding their grand bass performance for a while now.

Dec 7, 2009 at 4:12 PM Post #2,600 of 2,661
I was wondering if anyone had some broken k81's that they want to get rid of.
PM me.

Dec 7, 2009 at 4:13 PM Post #2,601 of 2,661
double post

Dec 18, 2009 at 5:16 AM Post #2,604 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by volntitan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm thinking of getting these for my daughter to listen to when she goes to the library at school. How is the sound leakage of these? Will iPod power them sufficiently?

PM me for more info... short answer: a)very little b)yes.

Dec 29, 2009 at 2:55 PM Post #2,605 of 2,661
hello everybody, i'm going to buy these in a few days and i'd like to know a couple of things [sorry for noob questions, i'm new in such things
biggrin.gif
]

- how shoud i do a correct burn-in ?
- are there any easy, non-risky mods who can clearly improve the sound ?

sorry for my bad english, i've tried to read the whole thread to look for answers but stopped around page 40 !

Dec 29, 2009 at 5:08 PM Post #2,606 of 2,661
What's a potential upgrade for the k81's? My headband has started to crack....not a big issue, but in the eventual total failure of the unit, at least I'll have a backup. Another k81 or perhaps the AT portables?

Dec 29, 2009 at 5:37 PM Post #2,607 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by echo.es /img/forum/go_quote.gif
are there any easy, non-risky mods who can clearly improve the sound ?

Removing the cloth inserts that cover the drivers opens up the high end nicely and IMO results in a more balanced sound from the K81DJ. If you don't like it you can just stick 'em back in.

Dec 31, 2009 at 1:02 PM Post #2,608 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by dpippel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Removing the cloth inserts that cover the drivers opens up the high end nicely and IMO results in a more balanced sound from the K81DJ. If you don't like it you can just stick 'em back in.

thank you
smile.gif

Dec 31, 2009 at 3:16 PM Post #2,609 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by dpippel /img/forum/go_quote.gif

[size=small]
Exactly! With the cloth covering on, the midrange sounds recessed, the treble is muted, and the bass is ridiculously dominant. Removing the covering moves you much closer to a balanced sound, with the midrange becoming more prominent and the treble opening up more. The bass [/size]
[size=small]still [/size][size=small]remains dominant enough to please many a basshead. Finally, if one executes the blue tak mod to cure resonance issues, you should end up with a decent low-priced "fun" phone.[/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back