Official K-81 DJ thread
Oct 29, 2006 at 8:12 AM Post #1,711 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by phyrefly
Does the K81DJ isolate as much as say, a Sony EX71 or a Senn CX300?

Well, not as much as the CXs

Quote:

Originally Posted by phyrefly
Ahh, why did I stumble over this thread!
frown.gif

How does the K81DJ compare to the Koss PortaPro? Is it really as big of a big jump as some posts make it seem to be?

The sound seems deeper, more precise and veeeery smooth.. and if you use it on the bus or so, the isolation benefit will kick in
biggrin.gif

Oct 29, 2006 at 2:40 PM Post #1,713 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by WhatMACHI
What do you mean by headband treatment??

Just stretching it out to loosen it up. These headphones have a pretty tight grip when you first get them.

Nov 1, 2006 at 4:29 AM Post #1,715 of 2,661
I just tried my brother's K81DJ and my these cans blew me away!

I'm coming from HD414 socket pad modded PX100s and these pretty much trump them in a way I never expected.

For closed cans their pretty forward and agressive, a little like Grados, as some have said. And that's a characteristic I love. They just engage you. And I've been listening to Jazz on these, which forms the mainstay of my listening [about 80% of you'd like to quanitfy it] and they're surprisingly good. They depict crymbals and sax and most instruments with very impressive realsim. never expected that.

One thing I don't quite like though is the slightly bloomy bass. Its tight at parts but there's this general bass hum in the background very often. These cans aren't burnt in at all, just a few hours on them so far so I'm hoping the bass bloom becomes less of a problem.

Apart from that awesome cans! I just might get these instead of the SR60. The isolation is a very nice plus, though I don't really need it. Cord length is perfect for use at home. Sweet friggin pair of cans!!!

Nov 1, 2006 at 6:06 AM Post #1,716 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by theobservatory.
I just tried my brother's K81DJ and my these cans blew me away!

I'm coming from HD414 socket pad modded PX100s and these pretty much trump them in a way I never expected.

For closed cans their pretty forward and agressive, a little like Grados, as some have said. And that's a characteristic I love. They just engage you. And I've been listening to Jazz on these, which forms the mainstay of my listening [about 80% of you'd like to quanitfy it] and they're surprisingly good. They depict crymbals and sax and most instruments with very impressive realsim. never expected that.

One thing I don't quite like though is the slightly bloomy bass. Its tight at parts but there's this general bass hum in the background very often. These cans aren't burnt in at all, just a few hours on them so far so I'm hoping the bass bloom becomes less of a problem.

Apart from that awesome cans! I just might get these instead of the SR60. The isolation is a very nice plus, though I don't really need it. Cord length is perfect for use at home. Sweet friggin pair of cans!!!

recable, and that bass bloom goes away. it doesn't seem like grados to me - more like other AKGs - k501, k701 after the recable...with more bass...well, not as detailed and clear as the other AKGs, but definitely not like the grados...

Nov 1, 2006 at 6:38 AM Post #1,717 of 2,661
I got tired of the cable turtle I was using, but I didn't want to have to re-terminate with a different connector (I like the screw-on 1/4"), so I opted to trim the headphone side of the cable, and resolder it into each driver. I trimmed about 3' off the ~8' cable. Now it is nice a short (not too short though). Worked like a charm!

Nov 2, 2006 at 7:23 AM Post #1,718 of 2,661
I just had to add something to this while I was thinking of it. Somewhere buried in all these zillions of posts is a post from me asking if the K81DJ is a suitable headphone to use on an airplane. And the response was mostly favorable and positive for that application with most proclaiming success.

I finally got a chance to use them for the first time on a plane a couple weeks ago, and let me tell you, these are no solution for flying on an airplane. That's just ridiculous. I think these cans are great, particularly at the office due to the closed configuration, great value, and small size--I'm a legitimate fan of these--but travelling headphones they are not...despite the fact that they seem to isolate well. After trying them, suggesting K81DJs would be a good travel choice was pretty preposterous. No getting around an IEM for that I guess.

Just had to get that in.

Nov 2, 2006 at 8:36 AM Post #1,719 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by VR6ofpain
I got tired of the cable turtle I was using, but I didn't want to have to re-terminate with a different connector (I like the screw-on 1/4"), so I opted to trim the headphone side of the cable, and resolder it into each driver. I trimmed about 3' off the ~8' cable. Now it is nice a short (not too short though). Worked like a charm!

i also did the same thing instead of recabling mine although i'm sure that i'll eventually recable someday.

in addition to that, i also lined the inside of the cups with blue tack and filled the cavity with cotton. now instead of a hollow sounding thump when you tap on the cup, the sound gets damped. this quick mod worked to tighten the bass and reduce the amount of mid bass but it also seemed to make the cans punchier. mids and highs were slightly improved while isolation was also slightly improved. unfortunately this mod didn't do as much to the overall sound as a recable would do. it's definitely easier than doing a recable though and i think gets you about half way there. i'm really curious what a recable with bluetak/cotton would make these sound.

kugino, want to give it a try?
wink.gif

Nov 2, 2006 at 8:43 AM Post #1,720 of 2,661
UK AKG dealers keep giving me funny looks - are these available here or must I import?

Nov 2, 2006 at 9:33 AM Post #1,721 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomjonesrocks
I just had to add something to this while I was thinking of it. Somewhere buried in all these zillions of posts is a post from me asking if the K81DJ is a suitable headphone to use on an airplane. And the response was mostly favorable and positive for that application with most proclaiming success.

I finally got a chance to use them for the first time on a plane a couple weeks ago, and let me tell you, these are no solution for flying on an airplane. That's just ridiculous. I think these cans are great, particularly at the office due to the closed configuration, great value, and small size--I'm a legitimate fan of these--but travelling headphones they are not...despite the fact that they seem to isolate well. After trying them, suggesting K81DJs would be a good travel choice was pretty preposterous. No getting around an IEM for that I guess.

Just had to get that in.

ah dude, what the ****? you didn't explain your reason; i assume you mean isolation, but you mentioned that they "isolate well." so what exactly is your point?

Nov 2, 2006 at 2:24 PM Post #1,722 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by uzziah
ah dude, what the ****? you didn't explain your reason; i assume you mean isolation, but you mentioned that they "isolate well." so what exactly is your point?

Yeah, I have to say, tomjonerocks, your post wasn't very convincing. I use them for travel all the time, and find the following:

1. The fact that they fold up makes them good to travel with
2. The fact that they isolate well makes them a good choice for shorter flights where dealing with IEMs wouldn't be worth the hassle. IEM's isolate better, but the 81DJ's so isolate well enough to be used on a plane for short durations without requiring blasting them.
3. The fact that they sound good means when you get to the hotel you can use them there too and enjoy them, where IEM's wouldn't be needed.

So, let's actually hear WHY you don't think they're good to travel with.

Nov 2, 2006 at 7:57 PM Post #1,724 of 2,661
i have to agree to some degree with tomjonesrocks. i've tried using them on a few domestic flights, where i've had to take small planes such as 737. sitting next to the window and over the wing (near the engines), the isolation was not enough for me to enjoy my music without increasing the volume. on international flights where you're taking larger planes such as 747 or 777, the k81dj are perfectly acceptable as the planes tend to be quieter. in either case, my choice would be an iem as they're the only type of cans that provide sufficient isolation.

Nov 3, 2006 at 6:55 AM Post #1,725 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by fureshi
i have to agree to some degree with tomjonesrocks. i've tried using them on a few domestic flights, where i've had to take small planes such as 737. sitting next to the window and over the wing (near the engines), the isolation was not enough for me to enjoy my music without increasing the volume. on international flights where you're taking larger planes such as 747 or 777, the k81dj are perfectly acceptable as the planes tend to be quieter. in either case, my choice would be an iem as they're the only type of cans that provide sufficient isolation.

This is basically what I was trying to say. They're tight so they isolate better than some headphones of their type would -- which is helpful on the street or on a bus or I imagine a train (and certainly in the hotel) or something. But on a plane the isolation wasn't nearly enough IMO. I heard the jet outside as well as I could hear the music--I pretty much folded them up and put them away--they were useless as far as I was concerned.

I should rephrase though--they're *great* travel headphones--but not on airplanes--IMO that is. That's all I was trying to write.

And I was on a 737.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back