Official K-81 DJ thread
Oct 27, 2006 at 3:19 AM Post #1,696 of 2,661
Hi,

Could someone tell me how to contact AKG for repairs? I went all HULK on my new K81's (with the heels of my hand already on the pads) and snapped it off at the silver swivel. Ooops
biggrin.gif

How likely is it that AKG will accept these cans for repair, and would this be under warranty?

Thanks in advance!

Oct 27, 2006 at 7:30 AM Post #1,699 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by kugino
since others are posting their recable jobs, i'll post this picture of a similar recable to mine using mogami quad:

rolleyes.gif
[/IMG]

Is that the regular sized starquad cable or the mini? I have a bunch of the regular stuff in red and blue... hmm.... *wheels of evil turning*

Oct 27, 2006 at 2:58 PM Post #1,701 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by dumas045
Anybody know a store where I can pick up these headphones in the Seattle area?

I'm in the Seattle area but haven't found a shop yet where these are sold, but then again we just moved here a couple months ago. You can find them for about $55 online through eBay (submit best offer) or buy.com and use Google Checkout for $10 off until 10/31

Oct 28, 2006 at 4:31 AM Post #1,703 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by marvelusjd
I'm in the Seattle area but haven't found a shop yet where these are sold, but then again we just moved here a couple months ago. You can find them for about $55 online through eBay (submit best offer) or buy.com and use Google Checkout for $10 off until 10/31

I'm not from Seattle, but Guitar Center carries them here in Austin. Have you checked there yet? $69.99.

Oct 28, 2006 at 4:36 AM Post #1,704 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwohy233
Might get these.... How are they for classical? Everyone seems to rave about them with rock..

not for classical, IMO. bass is way too overpowering and soundstage is poor. if you want classical cans, get the k501 at zzounds.com for $99.

Oct 29, 2006 at 12:10 AM Post #1,705 of 2,661
Ahh, why did I stumble over this thread!
frown.gif

How does the K81DJ compare to the Koss PortaPro? Is it really as big of a big jump as some posts make it seem to be?

Oct 29, 2006 at 12:22 AM Post #1,706 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by kugino
not for classical, IMO. bass is way too overpowering and soundstage is poor. if you want classical cans, get the k501 at zzounds.com for $99.

If we're talking about for home cans, I agree wholeheartedly. However, for portable, I think these are great for classical; the loud noises outside tends to suck out some of the bass, which balances these out quite a bit. The soundstage is pretty poor compared to a circumaural cans, but to my ears they're actually better than Grados (though that isn't saying much). So, portably I'd say they're great for classical. Just not at home. K501 is fabulous in that regard, especially at its now RIDICULOUSLY low price.

Oct 29, 2006 at 1:32 AM Post #1,707 of 2,661
i've spent the last hour or so testing my newly-recabled k81dj and here are some initial thoughts.

the mogami mini quad is a bit more microphonic than the stock cable, though much sturdier, shorter, and better looking.

the sound has change A LOT. the low end bloom is now gone. the k81dj is now a much more balanced headphone. the highs are certainly there and are even somewhat overpowering to the point of being shrill at times. and this is compared to the hf-1 with flats! yes, the k81dj seems to be more analytic and dry sounding now, though not in a bad way. i always thought the bass was a bit too much and that has been rectified...the bass is punchy and tight now.

the soundstage actually seems to be pretty good out of these. positioning of instruments is easy to place and there is a nice overall sense of "space". what i do think the newly-recabled k81dj lacks, though, is the midrange - in the frequencies where vocals reside. the hf-1's midrange is so much warmer, richer, and accentuated. the k81dj's midrange is balanced with other frequencies but i prefer accentuation of vocals. this may be a personal preference thing, then...i'm not sure if the k81dj's midrange is recessed or the hf-1's midrange is accentuated...or both. i do prefer the hf-1's vocals, though.

i've been listening via my dac-ah and PINT and the punchiness and dry-ness is partly attributed to the AD8397 in the PINT...however, i prefer the AD8397 over the LM6172 so take that for what it's worth...

burn-in might change things and i will provide more thoughts later...

Oct 29, 2006 at 1:57 AM Post #1,708 of 2,661
I bought a pair a couple weeks ago, I'd never really been into headphones before, but I got fed up with the crap coming out of my Ibuds so I looked around. scullcandy is a really popular brand for people on campus, but I tried my friends pair and hated it, so I did some resaearch and desided to buy a pair of K-81's, only place in the city I could find that carried them was Axe Music, which I hated since any dealings I've had with them regarding guitar stuff has been horrible, but their headphone guys were great, I'm fairly positive they special ordered a pair for me, since I had to wait a week or so and then I got the only pair in stock... they were $80cdn which was cheaper than I expected, and happens to be the same price as my friends skullcandy's, I'm quite impressed with them thus far, the folding feature is great for on campus. I did like the sound a bit better with the foam removed, but I got distortion when there were large bass hits, which didn't happen withthe foams in, so I put them back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back