Official K-81 DJ thread
Oct 9, 2006 at 2:06 PM Post #1,591 of 2,661
ill_phenom: dam sucks bout ur cans
frown.gif
a book bag is never a safe place to put anything besides books ive found, books=paper bricks.

also having ordered my K81DJ's just a few hours ago, are there any writeups on cable changing? the stock cables look much to flimsy and long
frown.gif

Oct 9, 2006 at 2:22 PM Post #1,592 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by WhatMACHI
ill_phenom: dam sucks bout ur cans
frown.gif
a book bag is never a safe place to put anything besides books ive found, books=paper bricks.

also having ordered my K81DJ's just a few hours ago, are there any writeups on cable changing? the stock cables look much to flimsy and long
frown.gif

There's pics of the K81s disassembled here. It's pretty straight-foward.

Oct 9, 2006 at 4:52 PM Post #1,593 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomb
Even amped, the bass is neither as deep or as tight as V6's, 580's, or PortaPro's (no - PP's are not boomy if properly amped). Even my KSC-75's give them a good run in the bass department, and then they sound better anyway.

Moreover, the K81DJ's bass is extremely volume dependent. In fact, that appears to be the dirty little secret about the foam inserts. Without them, the upper mid-range is clear and strong enough that they never get fed enough power to bring in the bass. With them, you turn up the volume due to the muffling - and they get enough power to start pumping out some bass. Even then, it's long way from a hip-hop slam.

Again, no offense to those who like and champion these phones, but my money would've been better spent for a pair of Senn 485's (same price when discounted) or even a pair of the new Koss Pro4AAAT's (as low as $79 discounted).

I agree about the bass, but it doesn't exist another cheap portable closed can atm
frown.gif
Also, I like the 81 for its big soundstage. AKG seems to know how to make cheap closed well sounding headphones: I am waiting for something a little more balanced
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 9, 2006 at 6:48 PM Post #1,594 of 2,661
Anyone know where I can buy these in Canada (specifically outside of Ontario so I don't have to pay PST)? Axemusic seems to sell them but its quite expensive ($80 + shipping).

Oct 9, 2006 at 8:06 PM Post #1,595 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by alfie
I agree about the bass, but it doesn't exist another cheap portable closed can atm
frown.gif
Also, I like the 81 for its big soundstage. AKG seems to know how to make cheap closed well sounding headphones: I am waiting for something a little more balanced
smily_headphones1.gif

Yes, I agree with that.

Oct 9, 2006 at 10:38 PM Post #1,596 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by smallmouth
I got a pair of K81s a few weeks back. I've been really happy with them--all but the cable. Since I paid much less than I anticipated, I figured I'd get a decent cable for them. Cantsleep was nice enough to make one for me. I installed it this weekend.

The stock cable was too long to be portable and had too much memory. I didn't expect any sound difference with a new cable--that wasn't my reason for making the change. But I've noticed things sound a bit tighter and cleaner. I've noticed a couple other changes too, but I'm reluctant to say it isn't placebo.

Either way, I couldn't be happier with the headphones with new tangle-free cable for portable use.

263240871_271087bcc9.jpg

Wow
blink.gif
. That's a sweet recable on the k81. The stock cable is one of the only complaints that I have about the can.

Oct 9, 2006 at 10:47 PM Post #1,597 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab
I wish someone would start a K81DJ recable service. I like my K81's but dislike the cable intensely. I am not a DIY-er, however.

yes pls somebody do wat he said!

Oct 10, 2006 at 1:06 AM Post #1,598 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by smallmouth
I got a pair of K81s a few weeks back. I've been really happy with them--all but the cable. Since I paid much less than I anticipated, I figured I'd get a decent cable for them. Cantsleep was nice enough to make one for me. I installed it this weekend.

The stock cable was too long to be portable and had too much memory. I didn't expect any sound difference with a new cable--that wasn't my reason for making the change. But I've noticed things sound a bit tighter and cleaner. I've noticed a couple other changes too, but I'm reluctant to say it isn't placebo.

Either way, I couldn't be happier with the headphones with new tangle-free cable for portable use.

263240871_271087bcc9.jpg

How about a link (or way to contact) cantsleep so we can all share??? Please. Those cables look great - and if they sound even half as good.......

Oct 10, 2006 at 2:03 AM Post #1,600 of 2,661
wow that recabling looks great, and I like the material used, great quality there.

Oct 10, 2006 at 2:57 AM Post #1,601 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by supermoo
Anyone know where I can buy these in Canada (specifically outside of Ontario so I don't have to pay PST)? Axemusic seems to sell them but its quite expensive ($80 + shipping).

seconded.

Oct 10, 2006 at 3:11 AM Post #1,602 of 2,661
How durable do you guys think the K81 are?

Let's say...

<-1----------------------------10->

1- Super brittle, cheap generic earbuds that break really easily.

10- The Sony MDR-V6, a Sony product that actually works decades after the warranty's run out.

If these aren't so durable, I should probably get a hard case for them.

Oct 10, 2006 at 4:27 AM Post #1,603 of 2,661
i have been looking to buy headphones. I am either buying these or the senn 280 pro. So do you think these would be the better choice?

Oct 10, 2006 at 5:57 AM Post #1,604 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by mow_the_hawk
i have been lookinf to buy headphones. I am either buying these or the senn 280 pro. So do you think these would be the better choice?

depends what you want...the hd280 are probably more comfy and maybe a bit more neutral...but in every other way, i prefer the k81dj. more musical, more bass, more transportable, etc.

Oct 10, 2006 at 7:00 AM Post #1,605 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by 450
How durable do you guys think the K81 are?

Let's say...

<-1----------------------------10->

1- Super brittle, cheap generic earbuds that break really easily.

10- The Sony MDR-V6, a Sony product that actually works decades after the warranty's run out.

If these aren't so durable, I should probably get a hard case for them.

I'd give them a 7, though that's purely because of the so-so jack. Otherwise I'd say they're a solid 9, after I replaced the jack I've had no problems folding them up and tossing them in my backpack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back